Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Best Wedding DRESS Places

I'm SO EXCITED to make appts for dress shopping soon!

Where are the BEST places to find a UNIQUE dress, great service + reasonable pricing? Would love your opinion ... thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Best Wedding DRESS Places

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Emily Hart was by far the best place I went to. The people there were so friendly, it also didn't feel awkward or like it was an appt if that makes sense. They also had different dresses compared to the other 3 I went to. This is where I got mine.

Bridal Extraordinaire was the worst place I went to and I thought for sure I would get my dress there. I think it was just the girl I had but I tried on 6 dresses and she asked me if I wanted to look at any more. If felt like she was trying to get me out of there. 
    I also didn't like Mia's bc it just felt really cluttered in there.

Ida's and Amore were also good places but Ida's kept pushing dresses way past my budget. 
    Kristen & Ryan | 10.10.10
    My Married Bio | My Blog
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    nikkifeenikkifee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Mia's Bridal, granted that's because my friend works there.... but I got a dress IN my budget, AND i actually picked the first dress she picked out for me as opposed to the several I had picked out myself. I also met Mia herself when she measured me up for my dress before I ordered it, and she was super nice. If you go, ask for Marcela, she's super awesome! They're in Olathe. That's the only place I dress shopped, and I bought my dress that day because it was EXACTLY what I wanted!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally didn't like Rosies.  I loved Amore.  And Natile M's went above and beyond to find me a dress that i had tried on in another store/state.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Gown Gallery downtown!  They are SO SO SO great to work with!  I went in with an idea of what I wanted, tried on four dresses and knew.  They never pushed or brought something outside of my budget.  They only brought out dresses I wanted to try never something totally outside my comfort zone.  My consultant is Liz and she's great to work with.
  • Options
    prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved Gown Gallery, which is in downtown KC. They were soooooo nice and if I hadn't gotten my dress at DB for such a steal, I would have bought one from them. They are one of those full service places that pull gowns from the back for you which some people don't like, but I thought it was great. I just told my attendant my price and the styles I liked, and she pulled all sorts of gorgeous gowns. The only reason I didn't buy there immediately was because it was too hard to pick between them all; and then of course I went to DB and found my amazing dress (PIB).

I was not a fan of Mia's. I went there twice and both times had the same attendant, and she was a royal snob. I told her there was beading that was scratching under my arms, and she went on and on about her pageant queen days. Don't care, don't want to blow my budget for an itchy dress, thanks. Also, I brought in pictures of dresses I liked and instead of helping me, she set me loose in the room with all the samples. I found at least half of the dresses I'd brought in pictures of! If she knew I liked THOSE dresses, why didn't she pull them for me??

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Ida's, Gown Gallery, David's Bridal, and Mia's.  I ended up buying my dress at Mia's.  I didn't have a bad experience with them at all.  I haven't actually purchase 2 other bridesmaid dresses from them before my wedding dress.  I liked Ida's they had a nice selection and stayed within my price range.  Gown Gallery was ok - I didn't like my attendant but I did like that they bring the dress out from the back and they had a really good selection.  I really did like Mia's and my attendant was super nice and didn't get annoyed when I continued to change the style of dresses I tried on.   I actually found my dress at Gown Gallery but ordered it through Mia's and that worked out well too.

I also heard good things about Emily Hart.

HTH
  • Options
    kwagner1211kwagner1211 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Emily Hart. I got my dress there as well and had an amazing time doing it. I went in with my mom and grandma on a Friday afternoon in October and we were the only people there! It was so nice to have full run of the store! Debbie was my consultant and she was awesome! I showed her a few pictures, she asked a few questions, and the second she brought out was absolutely perfect!

The only place I didn't like was David's Bridal. There were too many people, too many dresses, and the consultant was spacey and all over the place. I say too many dresses because they just told me to go look and pull what I wanted to try on instead of narrowing it down for me and brining them to me. The consultant also had two other brides assigned to her and she could not handle that many people.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress online, however, I can say I hated Bridal Extrordinaire. I think they are snooty. Several years ago I went prom dress shopping there (I was significantly overweight) and they were downright mean to me. This time I went there to go BM dress shopping and the fawned over me (I have lost a lot of weight) and told me how beautiful I would look in their gowns even though I made it clear I wasn't gown shopping and were appauling to my BM, who is overweight, actually saying it would be difficult to measure her beacause of her size (umm...it is your job to measure people.) I think they are a bunch of bitches.

Sorry for the rant.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Rosie's, Natalie M's, Emily Hart, David's Bridal, and Mia's. I haven't had an absolutely outstanding experience anywhere necessarily, but most have been ok.

Rosie's is probably my favorite because they aren'y pushy and really give you time and attention, but the location (in Independence) is a PITA. (I may be biased because I found my dress there, but we are looking at other places closer to see if they can get the dress in).

Natalie M's is ok -- I actually went three times because they had a trunk show once and then I realized they had a designer I really liked. I've heard bad things about them, but they were fine to me. The trunk show was a little off-putting because I felt like I was being rushed but the other times were not that way at all.

Mia's is ok as well, not pushy, pretty nice and seemingly very organized in terms of ordering and fittings. I don't really like the idea of looking through a million dresses to try to find one though because I can't visualize them very well after looking at like twenty!

David's Bridal was a pretty good experience, but I felt like the dresses weren't of very good quality that I tries on. I thought it was going to be awful and unfriendly, but the lady was really nice.

Emily Hart was by far the worst I went to. They only have one size for each dress, which meant I was too big for almost every dress there! I didn't really have a complex about my size until I saw the other girl trying on gowns, who was like a size 0 and had to have everything clipped, and I couldn't get some of the dresses on. I think if you are size 6 or under then it would be fine. It was so hard to picture the dresses when they didn't fit well, and the lady wanted to put a veil on me with every dress, which I find really annoying -- esp if I don't like the dress. I didn't really see anything I liked, I felt like everything was very traditional and everything had a lot of lace. Just not my style.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Emily Hart Bridal and they are great!! They just moved to Leawood. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_wedding-dress-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:81fba893-c9a4-4554-96d5-e18ae8f2986fPost:a780060f-3fe8-4538-9996-933ff8d16b3c">Re: Best Wedding DRESS Places</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to Mia's Bridal, granted that's because my friend works there.... but I got a dress IN my budget, AND i actually picked the first dress she picked out for me as opposed to the several I had picked out myself. I also met Mia herself when she measured me up for my dress before I ordered it, and she was super nice. If you go, ask for Marcela, she's super awesome! They're in Olathe. That's the only place I dress shopped, and I bought my dress that day because it was EXACTLY what I wanted!
    Posted by nikkifee[/QUOTE]

YES!!  I loved Marcela!  She has been amazing through out the entire thing!  I not only got my dress there but we ordered the BM dresses there AND the guys are getting their tuxes there.  They have been amazing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    nikkifeenikkifee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kimmi*K, I'm sooo glad you liked it there! We're getting our tuxes and BM dresses there too, yeah, marcela is a good friend of mine, I love her! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_wedding-dress-places?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:81fba893-c9a4-4554-96d5-e18ae8f2986fPost:400d2df5-55f9-4344-8d21-5b80f8882eb4">Re: Best Wedding DRESS Places</a>:
    [QUOTE]Emily Hart was by far the worst I went to. They only have one size for each dress, which meant I was too big for almost every dress there! I didn't really have a complex about my size until I saw the other girl trying on gowns, who was like a size 0 and had to have everything clipped, and I couldn't get some of the dresses on. I think if you are size 6 or under then it would be fine. It was so hard to picture the dresses when they didn't fit well, and the lady wanted to put a veil on me with every dress, which I find really annoying -- esp if I don't like the dress. I didn't really see anything I liked, I felt like everything was very traditional and everything had a lot of lace. Just not my style.
    Posted by lchauvin87@gmail.com[/QUOTE]

<div>I have to disagree with this. I'm a street size 10 and I fit into most of the dresses great. Some had to be clipped to be tighter and some had to be clipped to the bra they give you to give you an idea of how it'll look. They have a mix of dresses in the sizes like any other place. I even had a friend who's a street size 14 and fit into a majority of the dresses just fine too.</div>
    Kristen & Ryan | 10.10.10
    My Married Bio | My Blog
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I really liked Bridal Extraordinaire.  I was a little nervous going there because of some of the reviews I've read here, but they were so nice!  I loved that we had our own private room area and I tried on at least 10 gowns without feeling rushed or pressured.  My consultant, Jenn, was very helpful and pulled a great variety of things for me to try.  I felt like they had a great range of gown options in the around $1,000 category.  I would definitely recommend Bridal Extraordinaire!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hollie811Hollie811 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I loved my experience at Ida's, where I also ended up buying my dress.  I felt like I received really personalized attention.  My attendant initially listening to the style of dress I "thought" I wanted and brought those out that were within my budget.  After that she brought dresses similar to what I said I liked about each of the dresses I tried on and the type of things that flattered me.  In the end, I ended up in a dress that was not what I expected, but flattered me in all the right places and is exceptionally gorgeous...all within my budget. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow ... THANK YOU so much!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen72682Jen72682 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found my dress at Bridal Extraordinaire. I absolutely loved them! I had a WONDERFUL experience there! They looked out what dresses I had found that I liked and found some that looked great with my body type. All 3 dresses they brought out looked good on me. But, I feel in love with #3. I REALLY enjoyed my experience there because I felt like they listened to me and they knew their product. They knew what dresses that looked good on my bodytype, which I appreciated! And they were not very pushy and didn't try to be salesmen. They were happy for me when I was happy about my dress. I even left for lunch and came back to buy the dress because I wanted to think about it. They were perfectly cool about letting me go and didn't push hard. Which was totally awesome! Despite what others are saying, I didn’t not feel like they treated me any differently based on my size –  I am not a small girl myself – (I wear like a 14 or 16 depending how the diet is going that month J) I think wherever you go if you tell them your budget upfront they will help find a dress within your price range. I had a horrible experience shopping at Mia’s as a Bride. The lady led me to the back room with all the dresses and told me, "Ok, pick out which ones you want to try on." This is after I showed her pictures of ones I liked... Like I knew what the dresses looked like in the bags. I kept trying on all these dresses the lady bought me and after each one they looked worse and worse. So I eventually just left. I didn't have a good experience at David's Bridals either. I went to the store in Overland Park. They sales lady was rude and was not helpful. She kept disappearing for long smoke breaks and would come back all gross. My mom and I ended up walking out. 

I also went to the Gown Gallery and hated it there! I was there trying on dresses and the KC Weddings people came and were trying to sell ads. So my sales lady was basically left and was gone for over a half an hour talking about advertising. I was so irritated that I left.  

Hope this helps! Good luck on your search!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards