Catholic Weddings
Options

NWR: Facts about Catholic Charitable Work

This is not wedding related but I am so SICK of people showing pictures of the Vatican and the other beauty of the Catholic Church, then juxtaposing that with a picture of a starving child in Africa, implying that all our funds go toward beautification and none toward charity. In response to one of these postings on Facebook, I cut and pasted a link to Mother Teresa's Calcutta Center and to the Catholic Relief Services...but I know somewhere I heard/read that the Catholic Church gives more money and services than any other organization in the world. I just can't find the data anywhere. Can anyone help?

I have no desire to pound someone over the head with this, but I just want to be one voice trying to set the record straight. I know I used to believe these things myself, until I became Catholic and got the facts...people can do what they want with it, but I want to at least put it out there.

Ruff!

Thank you!

Linda
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: NWR: Facts about Catholic Charitable Work

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Well, I know the Catholic organizations are the largest charitable organization in the world, but I don't have the source for that.

The thing about putting money into churches, etc: I remember walking into a church one time which was newly built, but not "modernistic" type, but a genuinely up to date but beautiful large church. The building brought my eyes upward, and it was so beautiful I swear I almost fell to my knees, I was so overwhelmed.

Putting money into churches that Honor God is a way to convert people's hearts. God deserves the best (reference here of woman pouring perfume on Jesus feet). If people are converted, even more will help the poor, to hopefully a time when there won't be any more poor.
  • Options
    The "treasures" that our Church has were given to the Church or paid for by the Church. It is the Church's property, given to it for its own purposes. Any new buildings or art that the Church acquires are paid for by the PEOPLE OF THE CHURCH! Typically, the Church has special fundraisers for these in addition to the fundraising for startving children, etc. The PARISHONERS want to give their money for these purposes.

The Church also allows people to come and see its treasures for free. You think if we turn over the Sistine Chapel to the Italian govt that it's going to be free admission? NOPE! The Church cares for and cultivates these treasures for everyone.

They were made for the Church, to support its cause. To show love for God.

If you wanna talk about "rich" organizations that are "greedy" and don't do enough to help - I can direct you to a laundry list of corporations, governments and billionaires around the world.
  • Options
    I know...and it's hard to convince people that the beautiful churches can exist along with the tremendous amount of work and money the church gives to people around the world. The Church is just such an easy target...same with the sexual abuse situation. Heaven knows the organization/institution is imperfect, but we do a darned lot of good too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    Sometimes people just *want* to dislike an institution like the Church, and will use any excuse that they can. 
    (Kind of like NFP... I've heard it discussed about how even if you get married, and say, wait a year, and then get pregnant completely deliberately, if some people know you're using NFP, they will STILL say that NFP didn't work, just b/c they don't want to believe that it would work, b/c that would call them to change or at least reconsider their lifestyle. 
    Similar to the Church...if people can think of all these reasons why it's a terrible institution, then they don't HAVE to consider any of the things that it teaches.)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I got to go tour the chapel for the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration and the nun leading the tour brought up that exact same point and her answer stuck with me...  She noted that the sinful woman in Luke 7:36 who annointed Jesus' feet with priceless ointment could have donated the money that she spent on that oil to the poor instead... but she instead laid it at Jesus' feet in humility to give him glory and honor.

Here's a survey on social/civic involvement, although not specifically touching on Catholics shows that those religiously involved are more likely to volunteer and contribute financially to charitable causes... http://www.cfsv.org/communitysurvey/docs/exec_summ.pdf

Frankly, most of secular society takes for granted how much catholics have historically contributed (not just charitably) to the modern university, hospitals, literature, and education.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards