Moms and Maids

A dance for mom?

My parents divorced when I was very young and my mom has helped me out with everything my whole life. I am having both my parents walk me down the aisle and during the ceremony I am having the traditional dance with my dad, my FH is dancing with his mother, then he is doing a dance with his grandmother to honor his grandfather who just passed and helped us out a great deal with the wedding financially and otherwise. Anyways I was thinking I would like to make a slot for something for just my mom. My sister said I could just have a dance with her like I am doing with my dad and its not that I think it would be weird (I don't MIND doing that), I am just wondering if any other brides from single homes did anything like this or otherwise with their moms?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A dance for mom?

• vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think having more than two spotlight dances just gets really boring for guests.
  • edited December 2011
    Another option would be during group dancing, having the DJ dedicating a song to your mother from you and dancing with her then, instead of stopping all the action. Vicki is right, after sitting through 20 minutes of announcements and dances, guests are getting antsy.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a nice gesture, but it does get boring for guests having to sit around watching too many dances.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Is there is any way you can cut that down to two dances? Maybe you and your dad could start the father daughter dance and then your mom could cut in. And your husband could do the same with his mom and grandmother. Clearing the dance floor 5 times (including your first dance with your husband)  for special dances is going interrupt the flow of your party.

You could also honor your mom in a different way. Spend time alone with her before the ceremony. Write her a letter, telling her how much she means to you. That will be something that she will treasure forever.

• edited December 2011
    I am dancing with my mom. Carrie Underwoods Mammas Song. It is perfect. My dad divorced our family a few years ago, so I am dancing with the lady that has always been there for me and deserves to dance with me after my husband..MY MOM Cool
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

PPs are right-- more than 2 spotlight dances will bore the guests to tears. What if you combined some of the dances? We are combining our F/D M/S so that we can have our sentimental moment while easing up on the guests attention spans. You could put the parent dances together and then the grandma/mom dance. I also really like the idea about having the DJ dedicate a song to your mom.

Photobucket
  • michellep1michellep1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_dance-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:882e6e01-a169-4aec-92c6-322aa42fa37cPost:63187021-049c-4f76-9ed2-83fa2e174e1b">Re: A dance for mom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am dancing with my mom. Carrie Underwoods Mammas Song. It is perfect. My dad divorced our family a few years ago, so I am dancing with the lady that has always been there for me and deserves to dance with me after my husband..MY MOM
    Posted by bpcubel[/QUOTE]

I love this song!  I can't even listen to it when it comes on on my ipod's shuffle if I'm driving because it makes me cry so much!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I somewhat agree with others and disagree.  I personally don't find it boring to watch other people show dedication to a family member they love probably because I have so few.  Having said that, I have dedications to a few special people in my life so at my wedding what we are doing is doing the dance with that person and then after maybe a minute into it alone, having the DJ ask our guests to join us on the dance floor. 

Teresa & Bill June 10, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_dance-mom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:882e6e01-a169-4aec-92c6-322aa42fa37cPost:63187021-049c-4f76-9ed2-83fa2e174e1b">Re: A dance for mom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am dancing with my mom. Carrie Underwoods Mammas Song. It is perfect. My dad divorced our family a few years ago, so I am dancing with the lady that has always been there for me and deserves to dance with me after my husband..MY MOM
    Posted by bpcubel[/QUOTE]

I'm doing this too! My mom is my Best Friend! She is giving me away! I invited my Dad, but I don't think he will show, and that is okay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards