New York-New York City

Liberty Warehouse in Brooklyn - any experience?

Hi, I've booked LIberty Warehouse in Red Hook for my wedding next March.  I'd love to hear from anyone who's gotten married there or is currently planning a wedding there - the good, the bad and the ugly -- so I know what to expect.

Thanks!

Re: Liberty Warehouse in Brooklyn - any experience?

• I have a story that unfortunately falls in the bad and ugly category!

My fiance and I looked at the Liberty Warehouse in the spring and fell completely in love.  It is a gorgeous venue and we live near that area of Brooklyn so it was perfect.  The Catering Director-Jeff-was initially very accomodating and gave us a great walk through.  But when we started talking prices the information he gave us was completely different from what they advertise on their website and in the marketing materials he gave us.  We were originally told they charge $150/person, but then he told us that is for an afternoon wedding on a weekday and that a traditional evening wedding (which obviously most people have) we could expect to pay over $200/person.  So the first strike was that their marketing materials are very misleading.  Despite the price, I still really wanted to get married there and wanted to find a way to make it work and we followed up in email and phone calls several times to Jeff with no response.  Finally he got back to us and we asked if there was an option to negotiate some of the pricing-fewer options for entrees, a less elaborate cocktail hour, reducing the bathroom attendant charge ($10/person).  He told us that if we were not willing to pay his prices we did not deserve to get married there and that they did not want clientele like ours at their establishment.

We have a very healthy budget for our wedding and are both young professionals...for him to judge us after one meeting for not being able to pay $40,000 JUST for a venue and catering was completely uncalled for.  I spent 2 days crying and we almost just went to city hall instead.  I felt like we had lost our dream venue and I would never be able to find something I love as much.

Luckily we went to Galapagos Art Space in DUMBO on a whim and it was amazing! The Director there-Adam-is so wonderful and accomodating and we'll be getting married there in May!

Since you've already booked the venue I'm sure you had a much more positive experience.  It really is a gorgeous venue and if things had worked out differently I'm certain I would be getting married there.  I guess this is more a word to the wise that they may get snarky if you have questions about the budget or how to customize things-or hopefully you have a sky high budget!

Happy planning!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_liberty-warehouse-in-brooklyn-any-experience?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:ffd51cb5-dae6-43ff-ba2f-b23538041af4Post:6ba222ac-f27f-441b-b6f4-a5e0cf25294c">Re: Liberty Warehouse in Brooklyn - any experience?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a story that unfortunately falls in the bad and ugly category! My fiance and I looked at the Liberty Warehouse in the spring and fell completely in love.  It is a gorgeous venue and we live near that area of Brooklyn so it was perfect.  The Catering Director-Jeff-was initially very accomodating and gave us a great walk through.  But when we started talking prices the information he gave us was completely different from what they advertise on their website and in the marketing materials he gave us.  We were originally told they charge $150/person, but then he told us that is for an afternoon wedding on a weekday and that a traditional evening wedding (which obviously most people have) we could expect to pay over $200/person.  So the first strike was that their marketing materials are very misleading.  Despite the price, I still really wanted to get married there and wanted to find a way to make it work and we followed up in email and phone calls several times to Jeff with no response.  Finally he got back to us and we asked if there was an option to negotiate some of the pricing-fewer options for entrees, a less elaborate cocktail hour, reducing the bathroom attendant charge ($10/person).  He told us that if we were not willing to pay his prices we did not deserve to get married there and that they did not want clientele like ours at their establishment. We have a very healthy budget for our wedding and are both young professionals...for him to judge us after one meeting for not being able to pay $40,000 JUST for a venue and catering was completely uncalled for.  I spent 2 days crying and we almost just went to city hall instead.  I felt like we had lost our dream venue and I would never be able to find something I love as much. Luckily we went to Galapagos Art Space in DUMBO on a whim and it was amazing! The Director there-Adam-is so wonderful and accomodating and we'll be getting married there in May! Since you've already booked the venue I'm sure you had a much more positive experience.  It really is a gorgeous venue and if things had worked out differently I'm certain I would be getting married there.  I guess this is more a word to the wise that they may get snarky if you have questions about the budget or how to customize things-or hopefully you have a sky high budget! Happy planning!
    Posted by teamvictory[/QUOTE]

I'm getting married there as well and have to say they were very accomodating in coming down on price, adding stations, etc.  Sure it will all work out!
  • I'm getting married there too-- next fall! Jeff is kind of slow with the emails sometimes but super-responsive when you call! Anyone else feel this one?

• Has anyone heard from the Liberty Warehouse since Sandy?  I'm planning to have my reception there in April but I'm not sure how badly they were hit....I'm a little worried.  Other businesses on the pier are reporting a lot of damage!
  • I just booked my wedding there for June 2014. So far, Jeff has been just fine and he seems to really 'get' me and my fiance. During our first visit, I asked about Sandy. Apparently they got hit hard, but everything is up and running. I believe they are resanding and finishing the wood floor on the first floor this week. I'm certainly going to visit this forum more often now that I know it exists!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_liberty-warehouse-in-brooklyn-any-experience?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:ffd51cb5-dae6-43ff-ba2f-b23538041af4Post:c7d46393-596f-4fcb-a5e3-5dbac99017b8">Re: Liberty Warehouse in Brooklyn - any experience?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone heard from the Liberty Warehouse since Sandy?  I'm planning to have my reception there in April but I'm not sure how badly they were hit....I'm a little worried.  Other businesses on the pier are reporting a lot of damage!
    Posted by thistlia[/QUOTE]

Having my wedding there in May 2013
    Just went back in December to see the damage. Everything is up and running! New floors, recently painted, new windows. .. looks better than before!
  • Jeffrey is the best and will work with you on your budget 100%. Do yourself a favor and book your wedding here! We just had a wedding there and it went flawlessly. The wedding planning process for us was virtually stress free because Jeffrey and his team are complete professionals.
  • For those who had your wedding at liberty house, what hotel did out of town guests stay at?
  • I had my wedding there 2 weeks ago. A raining day but we ended up with a beautiful evening and fireworks in the harbor! Guests stayed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott or the Nu Hotel on Atlantic Avenue. We had a shuttle from there to the venue. 
  • KBarone22KBarone22 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Did Nu Hotel or Brooklyn Bridge Marriott offer the shuttle or you rented one?
  • I had my wedding there 2 weeks ago. A raining day but we ended up with a beautiful evening and fireworks in the harbor! Guests stayed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott or the Nu Hotel on Atlantic Avenue. We had a shuttle from there to the venue. 
    Did you have to rent a shuttle or did Brooklyn Bridge Marriott or Nu Hotel offer one?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards