Catholic Weddings

"God's Plan for a Joy-Filled Marriage" -- seminar, questions!!

Hey has anyone been to this new thing they're requiring for pre-cana called "God's Plan for a Joy-Filled Marriage"?  All I can find through Google is the official sites and stuff and not much informal feedback.

This is not the Engagement Encounter/counseling stuff, because we have to do a separate weekend retreat for that later. 

Anyway, we have this coming up and just wondering if anyone's been to it and if they can fill me in on what to expect, etc etc. 

Thanks!

Re: "God's Plan for a Joy-Filled Marriage" -- seminar, questions!!

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i have no idea... we didnt have to do any of this stuff for our pre-cana.  is it the NFP component perhaps?
  • edited December 2011
    June that is strange, my priest has not told me anything about this requirment. I would talk to your priest and ask him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is only in some diocese that require it. Each diocese can set its own requirements for marriage prep

This program is based on Theology of the Body. The speaker is Christopher West who is a world renowned speaker and considered a leading expert on TOB. He is AMAZING and very very entertaining. Understanding TOB will help tremendously in understanding how to love...single, married, or religious. This is meant to be a supplement to other marriage prep as it deals primarily with understanding the theology of marriage as a sacrament.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    agapecarrie, is theology of the body a way to say it is about sexuality in marriage?  
    edited December 2011
    NO. Theology of the Body is a compilation of 4 years of Wednedsay audiences given by JPII. It is a very involved amount of concepts that talk about how we were intended to be in the beginning, how to love, what it means to be human (we are not souls trapped in a body, our bodies make visible what is invisible), what the theology of marriage is, and what vocations mean (lots in TOB about the celibate relgious vocation). One can actually only understand the purpose of earthly marriage if they undertand what celibacy for the kingdom is about.

TOB does talk a lot about our sexuality...meaning being male or female. I love as a woman to all those around me... as a sister, daughter, or motherly type. This transfers over to understanding the nature of earthly marriage as an icon of the trinity that points us to the marriage of Christ to his church. When this is understood to its full synthesis, then the teaching about sexuality within marriage make sense.

This particular dvd series is based on TOB concepts to help teach the theology of marriage, sexuality, service and love for each other (helping each other get to heaven).

edited December 2011
    i really want to buy that book.  is it on amazon or do i need to go throuigh a catholic bookstore? 
    edited December 2011
    This is a dvd series program.

I'd recommend starting at "Good news about sex and marrigae"  and "Theology of the body for beginners" by Christopher west.

They are both really easy reading and great.

Amazon is usually cheaper than a catholic book store.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I second everything that agapecarrie has said!

TOB is amazing.  It's a collection of 129 lectures that were written by Pope John Paul II between 1979 and 1984.  It is revolutional to Catholics and non-Catholics.  It changed my life.

As for books, I recommend reading Theology of the Body for Beginners first.  If you are new to TOB, I think that it will really explain well.

JuneBlossom3, I'm going to this seminar, too.  It's not required by my archdiocese for marriage-prep but I wanted to go.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    clearheavens,

I am halfway through my speaker certification on TOB at the tob institute. Best weeks of my life there...perhaps maybe someday you can consider going...I promise you won't regret it. Amazing experience.

Christopher is on sabbatical right now so please pray for him.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    agapecarrie, amazing!  Yeah, one day I want to be a teacher for other couples.  Not sure yet in what capacity.  RCIA?  Couples-to-couples league?  TOB?  TOB appears to be the hardest to teach, imo, because it is so in depth.  But no doubt I will be learning more about TOB even if I don't officially teach it.  Were were thinking maybe couples-to-couples league may be easier since they are headquartered where I live and FI and I are both physician and physician assistant; maybe that will give us more credibility.

I will be praying for you and for Christopher West!  Sending the best to you in this ministry!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Couple to couple league I believe is just merely teaching one method of NFP...while you can certainly be evangelistic in this sense, I think it might be limited.

Ascension press' dvd series is really really good as it is self-contained. Watch the dvd and use the questions provided to discuss it. You dont have to be an expert to teach it.
    The creighton method of NFP is medically based and is used to diagnosing and treating fertility issues.

edited December 2011
    Just want to add: at this moment I am in a class at the TOB institute... studying the writings of John paul II on gender, marriage and the family... taught by the translator of the Theology of the Body...who is brilliant.

John Paul's letter to families is deeply rich and beautiful and meaningful. I highly recommend reading it together with your fiance or spouse, giving weight to the words that they deserve...meaning, its way more than symbolic language.
    edited December 2011
    sort of an off shoot, but does anyone know why CCL requires you to breastfeed as part of NFP if you want to be a teacher?  i think most of us know that breastfeeding alone cannot prevent pregnancy (although there are NFP/FAM rules that you can follow while breastfeeding).  i just never understood why they were champions of BF.
    edited December 2011
    Actually ecological breastfeeding delays ovulation. But this is actual real full out ecological breastfeeding.

I've never heard the requirement before, as some just phsycially can't do it.
    edited December 2011
    check out their website.
    under the eligibility to become a teaching couple, it states:

Philosophical criteria

• Teach as a married couple.
    • Practice exclusive and continued breastfeeding. (hyperlink to breastfeeding section)
    • Agreement with the Principles of CCL.

just wasnt sure why or how breastfeeding ties into living a catholic/christian marriage.  can seem misleading to think that those that choose to formula feed are some how sinning.....

edited December 2011
    Well, breast feeding it self is an objective good. Its' God designed. The physical benefits alone are amazing, as well as the psychological and emotional benefits.

As far as requirement, I think its more wanting the teachers to agree with those principles and philosophies, however, sometimes things happen that don't make it possible.

I don't care for the sympto thermal method for many reasons, for myself, but whatever method works for people...great.
    edited December 2011
    i just know if i have a kid i will not breastfeed and its not becuase i'm physically unable to do so (as far as i know anyway), its just not for me.  i just can see how some might find that particular message odd - i know i do, and i like the CCL.  its a stretch, but i guess i see them trying to put on the same level artificial contraception and artificial feeding (i.e., formula).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards