Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Peter Allen House-Reception Question

So my fiance and I visited the Peter Allen House and fell in love with the property.  We put down a deposit and now I am freaking out about the tent space. They say they can hold 150 people but I cannot visualize how that is possible without compromising the dance floor and now I am worried we made a huge mistake because we are huge party/dance people.

If you had your wedding at the Peter Allen House can you please respond and let me know how you did you floor plan at the reception.  I am hoping someone can relieve my anxiety. Thanks so much in advance!

Re: Peter Allen House-Reception Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am sorry, but this will not make you feel better.
    :(

Virtually every hall I have been to (I  am a server for a catering service), claims to be able to hold more than they can. If they say "up to 150" that means 100--125 comfortably.
    150 will crowd your dance flloor.
    I am sorry.
    It is a beautiful venue, though.

Your mistake is a common one made by people when they book. I just wish the venues were more honest.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have attended 1 wedding at the Peter Allen House. I don't know the exact # of guests but it was at least 100. Adding 50 extra guests could have cramped things up a bit. The couple chose not have dancing at all but there was room for a dance floor space. The tables were spread apart pretty far and the entire corner of the tent area had a huge arch in it and flowers and such. They used it for the ceremony since it was raining and they just left it up through the reception.

Isn't the tent area "L" shaped there? I wonder if you did long elegant family style tables rather than round table if that would free up some extra space? It's just a thought. I'm having a hard time visualizing it since it's been about 2 years since I've seen it last.

Also, would they let you use the covered drive way area that is connected to the tents for dancing?

The Peter Allen House is so beautiful! I really hope you figure something out so it works for you ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Peter Allen House has two options for tents. I am also having my wedding there but we are using the permanent tent next to the house because our wedding is on the small side. They also have the option to have a larger tent that goes where the old tennis court used to be. Either way they will accomodate you I am sure of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we were planning on using the tent connected to the house and that was the one i was worried would be to small. They have the second tent but it cost an additional $3000 to rent it plus it is way to huge (holds 200-250ppl).

I guess I will have to check out my caterer set up for other weddings there to see different table layouts and get an idea of how many the tent can really hold.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have the same concern, our wedding is there this June. I talked with both Frank and my caterer. My caterer's idea seems better to me. You can rent an extra square tent that connects perfectly to the 'L' shaped tent. I can't find the information, but I think its around $400. Frank and Barbara gave me the information when I reserved the date. It will be on the side toward the bar on the lawn. I'm planning on sitting my 'younger' guests there, then having my DJ against the walll near there and leaving the corner open for dancing. I did not like the suggestions for having the DJ and dancing near the side door. I want my guests to feel involved in the party. I'm not sure what we are doing about a head table. I always wanted one, but not sure how it will fit into the floor plan. We may do a sweetheart table instead.

When is your wedding date? I will let you know if I work out anything better.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Babolinger you are def on the same mind set as me.  I also did not like the idea of having the dance floor by the side door because I felt like no one would be able see our first dance or any of the dances with our parents.  Frank had told us about adding the extra tent (it was actually set up that way when we toured the venue) but I noticed the ground goes down hill there and I was curious to see how even the tables and chairs were in that area and if it flooded on rainy days.  Who is your caterer? We are planning on using C&J catering.  Our wedding day is 12/8/12 so I have a long time to figure this out but I just have a feeling it might just keep haunting me until then.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards