Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Videographer?

We are on a pretty tight budget for the wedding, and we decided to splurge on photography because that part was very important to us. Initially we weren't going to have any video bc we knew we would very rarely look back at it, but i have heard so many brides who regret not getting one.

The cheapest in my area i can find is 1000 which covers all day shooting and gives you only a 5 minutes highlight video, its and extra 500 if you want the entire ceremony video.

We were really wanting to keep in at, or under, 500.

I did consider using a site like Wed It, where they send you 5 handheld cameras and you tape throughout the day, and then send it back and they edit for you. The only issue is that I dont want to have to ask guests at my wedding to be video taping. I considered leaving one at a few tables like some do cameras with a little tag or something, but idk. Im also worried about not liking the video we get back, and wasting five hundred dollars.

Advice? Thoughts? Suggestions?
TIA!

ETA: I checked with our local university and junior college, but no luck there :

Re: Videographer?

• Options
    Have you checked craigslist? I know there are a lot of photographers on there, might be a good place to find videographers as well.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In my area, I found a videographer that took video all day and just gave us the raw footage (only "editing" he did was to edit in what we said into the mic during the ceremony). He was much cheaper than any other videographer, since he wasn't doing any 5 minute highlight video. Could you talk to the videographers in your area and see if one of them will do that? 
  • Options
    We booked a similar service to Wedit, but I don't think wedit actually edits for under $500. I've been to a couple of weddings that used Storymix and I never saw the cameras left on a table. I doubt anyone would think to use them if you did that. I figure a lot of people will be there shooting video on their phones and cams anyway, so asking them to help with the wedding video isn't a big deal.

What about asking a videographer to film just the ceremony if that part of the day is what's most important to you? Maybe you could have a videographer film just that, not edit and give it to you on a DVD? Not sure how interesting that would be to watch tho. BTW, $1000 for full day and a 5 minute highlight sounds like a good deal, especially if it's a great edit.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_videographer-12?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:fbaa0a86-be1b-42a7-8ce5-b3c80fb8650fPost:26f215ba-311d-4e85-87a0-8c4ae089f1c0">Re: Videographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We booked a similar service to Wedit, but I don't think wedit actually edits for under $500. I've been to a couple of weddings that used Storymix and I never saw the cameras left on a table. I doubt anyone would think to use them if you did that. I figure a lot of people will be there shooting video on their phones and cams anyway, so asking them to help with the wedding video isn't a big deal. What about asking a videographer to film just the ceremony if that part of the day is what's most important to you? Maybe you could have a videographer film just that, not edit and give it to you on a DVD? Not sure how interesting that would be to watch tho. BTW, $1000 for full day and a 5 minute highlight sounds like a good deal, especially if it's a great edit.
    Posted by chloeo88[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all of the feedback ladies!

Chloeo88, do you mind giving more details on your expeerience? What was the company name? Did the video turn out nicely?

For everyone.... is having your wedding video as a keepsake something you think you would regret had you not done it??
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Ksblumb, sorry my post was worded so "well". :)  I was a guest at a couple of weddings that used Storymix and then booked them myself a week or two ago. My wedding is coming up in April. So, I don't have a final video to tell you about. I'm not expecting it to look like a $3000 video tho. As long as it doesn't totally suck, I'll be happy. I can ask my friend and cousin about it if you want.

As soon as I booked, I got access to their app, so I've been using it to shoot clips ahead of time (trying on dresses, DIY projects). And I just accidentally noticed something cool. The app allows you to take photos, so I'm not going to need a separate app for guest photos. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Awesome. I'll definitely be looking into it. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards