Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Colors for my historic venue

So, I am planning a March 2011 wedding (yes, I realize it is probably too early to be thinking about this, but I am procrastinating homework) and I am pretty sure we have our venue nailed down.   It is a beautifully restored historic theater that is in a fantastic downtown location. 

That said, I think the venue lends itself well to a 1930s feel, but I'm having trouble deciding on colors.  The room itself is very red and gold. The only colors I can think of that wouldn't make it seem oppresively dark are light pink/cream with black and antique metalic accents. 

Here is a picture of the room:

If anyone is bored and procastinating doing work, like me, and feels like giving input, I would love the advice!  Thanks! 

Re: Colors for my historic venue

• Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2009
    I think starting to think about colours early is a good idea.  They can set the tone for the whole wedding, I find, and they kind of lay the foundations for all the rest of your decorations.  As you go along through the months (and months!) probably some or all of your colours will change--but you need to start somewhere!

As far as your current ideas go, I think they sound good.  You do want to keep in the same sort of colour familiy if you have a bright red floor in that venue (you dont want clashing colours--for example, if you had green, everything could end up looking Christmasy).  Light pink and cream sounds great, and I like the idea of those black metal accents.  You could also try to coordinate with the room and add some gold accents of your own.  Don't let the room completely dictate what your colours will be, but also don't ignore them, either... know what I mean?

I'm not much help as far as inspiration goes, but hopefully you feel a little encouraged!  Don't feel bad about planning so far ahead of time.  :)
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for making me feel less crazy for thinking about this stuff now!  I suppose photographers in this area can book two years in advance...madness!   

I'm glad you like the colors.  I was thinking of incorporating an antique gold or silver too.  

Apparently, my town was the place to be for silent pictures until an earthquake leveled almost everything in 1925.   The Studios all moved to hollywood, but this theatre survived.  I'm a giant old movie buff, and I am so excited to have my wedding at this location!  
  • Options
    Try looking at Snippet and Ink at inspiration boards for colors.

I personally LOVE a light pink, cream and gold combination.
  • Options
    Wow that's cool about the silent pictures.  You're going to have a blast planning! 

I started planning right after I got engaged (July 2008) and my wedding, at that time, was over two years away.  At that time I just started a wedding scrapbook to keep track of all my crazy ideas.  My advice is that you probably shouldn't contact vendors this early--unless you need to.  But it sounds like you should book your photographer as soon as you can!  But really, you can work on your scrapbook/notebook and plan all the little fun  ideas and details of your wedding to keep yourself occupied and organized.  Don't involve your pocketbook, though, until it's reasonable to do so.  :)  That means refrain from getting excited when you find THE PERFECT FAVOURS or fancy coloured ribbon or anything.  You could regret your purchases months down the road when your ideas/colours/budget change. 

Hope this helps :D
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Ooh!  Thanks for the "Snippet and Ink" suggestion!  So many ideas! 

Also, thank you for the very good advice about not making deposits so early on.  I'm not planning on doing anything except the location for a while; we just want to get a date set so that we can mail out Save the Dates a year in advance.  Most of my family is across the country, and most of his is out of the country, so we feel like that's important.  
  • Options
    I really love the color combo of really rich reds and purples together I believe the knot has the color as one of their new hot color combos for an idea. But then again i am a very big color person
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards