Chit Chat
Options

PO, this is why you're bankrupt

We had an amazing dinner with friends yesterday and as we were leaving I asked them if they were planning on coming to the wedding (RSVP deadline was Friday and we hadn't heard from them) 

They said they never got their invite! They figured we made guest cuts after sending STD (something we would never do) and decided to book a vacation instead. I feel terrible. They were genuinely not offended that they got an STD and not an invite, but they were sad that it turned out they were invited and now can't make it, and FI and I are, too. We made plans to take them to dinner in April and show them pics, but I'm just really bummed. 

Then (this doesn't really have anything to do with wedding stuff but it didn't help my already bummed mood) went spent 1:30- 4:30 am at the vets office with our dog who swallowed one of her toys. $500 later we came home and finally got some sleep, then this morning I got a text from my mom, who got a phone call from my aunt who WAS offended she got an STD and not and invite (she was definitely sent one) 

Why can't the post office just deliver stuff properly? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: PO, this is why you're bankrupt

• Options
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_po-this-is-why-youre-bankrupt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:47395a47-02f4-47da-8bcc-40e8162f6650Post:063a1b28-688d-4ecd-bffd-0eb227a6aaf1">PO, this is why you're bankrupt</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had an amazing dinner with friends yesterday and as we were leaving I asked them if they were planning on coming to the wedding (RSVP deadline was Friday and we hadn't heard from them)  They said they never got their invite! They figured we made guest cuts after sending STD (something we would never do) and decided to book a vacation instead. I feel terrible. They were genuinely not offended that they got an STD and not an invite, but they were sad that it turned out they were invited and now can't make it, and FI and I are, too. We made plans to take them to dinner in April and show them pics, but I'm just really bummed.  Then (this doesn't really have anything to do with wedding stuff but it didn't help my already bummed mood) went spent 1:30- 4:30 am at the vets office with our dog who swallowed one of her toys. $500 later we came home and finally got some sleep, then this morning I got a text from my mom, who got a phone call from my aunt who WAS offended she got an STD and not and invite (she was definitely sent one)  Why can't the post office just deliver stuff properly? 
    Posted by bridalmarch[/QUOTE]

Things get lost.  They also get lost by FedEx and UPS.  The only way to guarantee delivery is by hiring a personal courier service.  If you have two invitations get lost though, it makes me wonder if the machines could not read the envelopes properly or if mailmen could not read them and they were delivered somewhere else and the people just threw them out.

p.s. - this is not why the PO is going bankrupt but that is a conversation that involves discussing asinine requirements for insane pension funding passed by recent US Congresses and I don't have the energy to discuss this.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    They were lettered legibly, black ink on white paper, and the other 100+ made it through the machines and to their destinations- even the ones we sent overseas. Our friends live in our city, and my aunt lives in South Carolina so it probably wasn't even the same machine. 

I apologize if I offended you, but I'm upset that friends of mine took a day off from work after getting our STD and then had to scramble so it wouldn't be wasted (although I'm glad they at least et a fun vacation out of it) and that my aunt thinks I did something wrong/offensive when I didn't. I realize that when you're sending 100+ things all together, maybe one or two just won't get to where they need to go, but it just seems crappy to me that both my mom's and FI's responses were "well that's the post office for you." People should be able to have more faith in the system than that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bridalmarchbridalmarch member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    A 2 perecnt error rate for one person. How many dozens of brides send how many hundres of invites a week? To that end, how many people send regular things - bills, checks, important documents - every day? If the power company shuts off my electricity becuase the PO didn't get my check there, that's a pretty big domino effect from a 2% error rate. I wanted my invites to get to where they needed to go, and I want to celebrate with my friends and family. I don't think that's a bridezilla moment, and I don't think I'm in the wrong by being annoyed. Maybe my title was dramatic, and I'l apologize for that, but not for being annoyed/disappointed that some people aren't able to make it because of a postal error. Maybe they should have called and asked where their invite was, or maybe I should have called everyone to make sure their invite arrived, but I honestly didn't think of it. I assumed the post office would get everything where it needed to go. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can relate. Many of my STD's arrived beat up and a month after I sent them. Some didn't arrive at all. I was really upset, too. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I wish your friends would have had the nerve to talk to you about it when an invite didn't arrive after the STD. Booking a vacation without verifying they are not actually invited first seems pretty extreme. Most people intend to send an invitation if they send a STD so I'd also be a little peeved they didn't just call you and bring it up before booking their trip. 

I don't think you are bridezilla for writing this at all. People write these kinds of things when they are upset. You had a terrible day, and you missed out on your friends coming to your wedding, which is a one-time event. You can't just invite them to the next wedding. Vent away. You have every right. 

• Options
    I'd be upset too. I realize that "things happen" and you can't control everything, but I'd still be bummed since its your wedding invitations. Nothing wrong with venting.
  • Options
    I agree that the post office is constructed in a poor manner, but you're blaming a symptom for the condition.  Kind of like saying weakness is killing someone with cancer.  It's the cancer that would be killing them.

Think of our government as the cancer, and your lost mail as the weakness, and the PO as the body.  The government makes asinine decisions, which causes symptoms such as lost mail within the PO (body), which will eventually kill it.

One such asinine decision that I hate is that they do not do fund enough studies on delivery methods that would save the PO and taxpayers money, and more efficiently distribute mail while saving on fuel.  I've watched packages start in my state, leave it, cross two other states, then come back to be delivered to me.  At one point the packages are always held at a distribution center within a mile of my home before leaving the state instead of just being sent for local delivery.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_po-this-is-why-youre-bankrupt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:47395a47-02f4-47da-8bcc-40e8162f6650Post:622c19e9-693f-426c-9358-0c146ccd80ed">Re: PO, this is why you're bankrupt</a>:
    [QUOTE]They were lettered legibly, black ink on white paper, and the other 100+ made it through the machines and to their destinations- even the ones we sent overseas. Our friends live in our city, and my aunt lives in South Carolina so it probably wasn't even the same machine.  I apologize if I offended you, but I'm upset that friends of mine took a day off from work after getting our STD and then had to scramble so it wouldn't be wasted (although I'm glad they at least et a fun vacation out of it) and that my aunt thinks I did something wrong/offensive when I didn't. I realize that when you're sending 100+ things all together, maybe one or two just won't get to where they need to go, but it just seems crappy to me that both my mom's and FI's responses were "well that's the post office for you." People should be able to have more faith in the system than that. 
    Posted by bridalmarch[/QUOTE]

You didn't offend me.  I just prefer that people have their facts straight before they start laying blame.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_po-this-is-why-youre-bankrupt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:47395a47-02f4-47da-8bcc-40e8162f6650Post:5e9ef21e-5d1b-417f-a4ee-640efbb2a18b">Re:PO, this is why you're bankrupt</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:PO, this is why you're bankrupt: You miss my point, which is that stating your mom and FI should have more faith in the system is a bit hypocritical given the post. Also, how many things have you mailed in your life? How many got lost? It is not a 2 percent error rate per person in the US, you are grossly exaggerating. It was a 2 percent error rate in this one case of a bulk mailing of something that is often an unusual shape or size for mailing. Bottom line is that crap happens and you're overreacting in blaming the bankruptcy on this instance. My husband was turned over for defaulted student loans last week because some idiot in an office somewhere forgot to file paperwork, <strong>and you have now spent more cumulative time complaining about two non delivered invites on an international website than I spent complaining to close friends over that.</strong> I don't think that is an issue with the system of federal loans, I think it was an issue of one moron in an office somewhere. Perspective.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Stage, I respect your opinion, and I usually agree with you, but that's not fair. This is a wedding website. Brides here are told all the time to come here to wax poetic about the differece between ivory and cream or what dress everyone likes best because the people in their real lives probably don't want to hear it. Exactly two peope in my real life know about this issue - my FI and my mom, and my mom only knows because my aunt called her first. My personal life and issues are my own and I have much bigger things both good and bad going on right now, but this is where I talk about wedding related things. 

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I already apologized for both my title and my dramatics. Maybe we're talking in circles. I don't know. 

On the plus side, I managed to be here for like 7 months without ruffling an feathers, and at least it wasn't over my bridesmaids pregnancies or fake boobs Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    To address USPS losing things.. I work in the mailroom at my job. We get lots of mail and send lots of mail every day. Trust me, we get numerous things daily that don't belong to us. Usually USPS but occasionally Fed Ex or UPS. Just throwing that out there!

ETA: I should say that it's not that they're not doing their job, it just happens.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Sorry this happened!! I was a bm in a girlfriend's wedding last year. I started getting worried when I hadn't got the invite, although each of my parents had. Then I got a notice from the PO saying that we had to pick something up....COD. I guess that because of the way the PO scanned some of her invites, more money was owed on them. OY! Smile
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_po-this-is-why-youre-bankrupt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:47395a47-02f4-47da-8bcc-40e8162f6650Post:5e9ef21e-5d1b-417f-a4ee-640efbb2a18b">Re:PO, this is why you're bankrupt</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:PO, this is why you're bankrupt: You miss my point, which is that stating your mom and FI should have more faith in the system is a bit hypocritical given the post. Also, how many things have you mailed in your life? How many got lost? It is not a 2 percent error rate per person in the US, you are grossly exaggerating. It was a 2 percent error rate in this one case of a bulk mailing of something that is often an unusual shape or size for mailing. Bottom line is that crap happens and you're overreacting in blaming the bankruptcy on this instance. My husband was turned over for defaulted student loans last week because some idiot in an office somewhere forgot to file paperwork, and you have now spent more cumulative time complaining about two non delivered invites on an international website than I spent complaining to close friends over that. I don't think that is an issue with the system of federal loans, I think it was an issue of one moron in an office somewhere. Perspective.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I think you misread her response to you. She said that people should <u>be able</u> to have more faith in the system, not that they <u>should have</u> more faith in the system. AKA, if the postal system was more reliable, people would be able to have more faith in it. Reading fail.

Also, she obviously knew that their bankruptcy wans't directly related to the 2% error rate that she encountered. Holy overreaction to a venting post.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards