Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

how many hours will I need

Ok so my ceremony is at 1 and my ceremony will be and hour long, I'm asuming reception would start about 3. How long did it take for the portrait session part of the photographs. the reception will probably be about 3 hours and I want pictures of us leaving.
Anniversary PersonalMilestone

Re: how many hours will I need

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The couple's portraits don't take too long. It is the family formals that take forever. If you don't have more than a few hours in between (unless it all takes place in one venue) have a person that can round up each side of the family quickly. I normally ask the couple for a "shepherd" someone who can navigate both families. The bridal portraits and the bridal party usually take no longer than an hour and a half. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The answer is that the portraits (couple, bridal, bridal party, and family) take as long as you have for them.  If you have 20 minutes, you may not get as many shots / angles / redos as you'd like but you'll have more time to mngle with your guests.  If you have 3 hours, you'll get every shot under the sun but keep your guests waiting.

General rule of thumb is about 1 hour from the end of the ceremony to the start of the reception -- during which you should serve apps / cocktails / punch.
  • Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My recommendation is to find the photographer that you LOVE and want to book and ask their opinion. Every photographer is different and so is every wedding. Some clients give me a family photo list that will take 15 minutes. Others give me one that will take 30 minutes. It depends how large your wedding party is and if you've allotted time prior to the ceremony to do any of the bridal party pictures beforehand. It depends on if you want photos at the church, beach, hotel etc. or just at the hotel.

Once you've found a photographer who's work you love it's easy to ask them how much time they need to get those kind of photos that you like. Some clients have a huge break after their ceremony and give me 2.5 hours to do photos of them. Other times I only get an hour so if you find a wedding that they've shot that you particularly like it would be smart to ask what their day of timing was like to know if it's reasonable to expect the same quantity / variety of photos.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm no help with this, but I LOVE your Sottero dress!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha thanks brittany :-)
    Anniversary PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It will take 3 to 4 hours for the keep ready for the wedding ceremony because so many things of make-up and dress-up. Until you are confident and perfect look,you don't go forward to your wedding ceremony.so plan according to that.
  • Options
    angybanezangybanez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1...I also LOVE your dress...I tried a similar one! and 2. I suggest finding a photographer that's not hourly. Of course photographers will set a rate for themselves since they do need to get paid for their day of work and any post processing and editing, which does take a lot of time. Call photographers and let them know their budget and ask them if they can work with your budget and describe to them what you're looking for.
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards