June 2012 Weddings

Rehearsal Dinner & OOT Guests

As of right now, our rehearsal dinner is going to have 50-60 people there, which just includes our wedding party, their significant others, and immediate family.  We are having quite a few OOT family members (cousins, etc) that are coming in on Friday.  FMIL told us they are more than welcome to come to the rehearsal dinner, if we want to include them.  I can't decide if that's weird or not.  What do you all think?  If we do invite them, is it weird to send them an invitation to the rehearsal dinner since they aren't a part of the wedding?  Should my mom host something at the hotel as a welcome for them instead?  If so, how would she attend that and the rehearsal dinner?

Re: Rehearsal Dinner & OOT Guests

• MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I think having guests at the RD is dependent on if there is room and if you want them there.  I've been in weddings where there are OOT guests and also weddings that it's just the WP and their SOs.
    As far as your mom hosting something else, I think that's her call.

Personally, we are having just the WP, their SOs and our grandparents there (all but 1 are OOT).  I didn't want to include too many OOT people because I felt like at that point they'd all see the ceremony rehearsal and the ceremony itself would lose some of it's importance.
  • We are inviting some OOT guests to RD as well... I dont think its weird at all. It will give them something to do :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have seen it done both ways. We personally are not going to host all OOT guests because of space and price. However, most of our WP is OOTers. I think it is a nice gesture to include OOT guests but it is not mandatory.
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • I've been to a lot of rehearsal dinners that have OOT guests, I don't think it's weird. I think it's nice to have more time to socialize with your guests.
  • I think if you have room for them and FMIL is more than willing to accomodate them, then it's worth extending an invite. They made the trip in, it'd be nice for them to not have to worry about where to eat dinner.
  • I think its completely up to you and what you are comfortable with. We are only having the WP attend and their SO's. I just feel its about the wedding party and not all of your guests should be there. They will be at the Wedding.
  • not weird at all...we are also having oot guest at our RD but we are trying to keep our list small about 35people, because we are also having a day after lunch.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks ladies!  We'd try to keep our list as small as possible, but if they're already planning on being in town on Friday, I thought it'd be a nice gesture.  The room will hold 90, so we have plenty of room to add some extras.
  • I'm not sure why but my mother told me it's ettiquite that OOT guests are always invited to RD. If this is not the case.... i'm off the hook as almost 1/2 our guests are OOT!
    Married 6/23/2012 Photobucket
  • edited April 2012
    As half of our guest list are OOT (90 people), it wouldn't be fair to invite half of the guest to the rehearsal dinner.  We're just doing wedding party (and SOs), parents, grandparents, siblings, and the officiant.
  • What LLP said; our families live in Cooperstown and Barbados and they're all travelling from OOT to attend.

At our RD there are the grandparents, WP, officiant and wife, immediate family and one or two special mentions that are near and dear to us....

There's a BBQ hosted by a friend of ours for anyone who is looking for something to do that night.
    Vacation White Knot
  • The only people invited to the RD are those that are involved in the wedding (no dates either). We have 30 on the guest list right now and the room holds 35-40 so we can't have extras
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards