Texas-Houston
Options

Venue fees and sales tax question!!!!!!!!!

Hey Knotties!
I am still looking around and saw some venues charge a 20% service charge (TIP) and sales tax which is reasonable. BUT my question is can they tax the service charge on food and beverages and cake cutting fee?  I thought they could only tax actual items like the food and drinks and the venue itself.  Your feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Venue fees and sales tax question!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking the same way... I'm looking forward to the responses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mlewis85mlewis85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The venues I've visited did the sales tax and gratuity separately.  Both were calculated on the subtotal and then added all together.  Did you get a detailed invoice where they taxed the gratuity?
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of the service charge being taxed.  Like mlewis said, most places calculate them both separately based on the subtotal.  Make sure you thoroughly read any contracts before you sign them, though.  Just in case...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i would call the local chambers of commerce to clarify. i had my wedding in MA (we live in houston, but our families are back East) and our venue was trying to charge us 5% more per person b/c of an impending increase in local tax. i called the chamber of commerce who confirmed that the vote on this would be before the wedding, but even if it passed, it would not go into effect until after the wedding. needless to say, we refused to pay the increase and the vendor relented.

so just make sure you know for sure (from a very reliable source) before this becomes an issue (and double check your bill!).

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did get a detailed invoice but have not had the chance to ask them if it was a mistake.  I did my own calculations and caught it because their total was a bit higher than mine.  I will double check though.  Thanks!  Any recommendations on what I else I should double check or ASK before signing with any venue?
  • Options
    mlewis85mlewis85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Things I've been asking:
    - When will the room be available for setup?
    - How many events per day?
    - Will someone be a day of coordinator? If so, will I get to meet with them prior to the wedding?
    - Are they planning to make any changes/remodeling before the wedding?
    - How do they handle rehearsal (if you're doing the ceremony there)?
    - Are you allowed to take bridal pictures there? If so, is there a charge?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards