Wedding Reception Forum

First dance for another couple?

My sister got married in Jamaica about 8 months ago, and they didn't get a first dance there, so I'm wondering if it would be okay to give them a first dance at our dance? After all of our first dances, father-daughter dance, etc.

Re: First dance for another couple?

• My sister and her husband are sharing their anniversary with us. They will be married 22 years on our wedding day. I am dedicating "their" song to them and asking everyone to dance. They would be mortified if we did some sort of spotlight dance, but I want to mark their anniversary and how grateful I am that they are sharing it with us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 66 image Invited
    45 image Are ready to party
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_first-dance-for-another-couple?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7c089ae6-8d6c-46e3-86cb-b26767f6f031Post:c8c14234-2420-47f1-8563-5046df14d87a">Re: First dance for another couple?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister and her husband are sharing their anniversary with us. They will be married 22 years on our wedding day. I am dedicating "their" song to them and asking everyone to dance. They would be mortified if we did some sort of spotlight dance, but I want to mark their anniversary and how grateful I am that they are sharing it with us.
    Posted by PopPow[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea! And I agree with PP that a lot of spotlight dances gets old. My brother's wife had 3 just herself (father, godfather, and uncle). It was booooooring.
  • I agree that it would be awkward.  Just dedicate a song to them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 20+ years ago, we got married the day before I was MOH in my best friend's wedding.  Long story short, we had the day first.At their wedding, the band dedicated a song to us, and the four of us danced together.
  • Ditto PP, you mean well, but it's just not a great idea. They chose not to have a first dance in the spotlight at their own wedding, it just seems so odd for them to have it at somebody else's.

Dedicate a song to them, but don't clear the dance floor for them.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• they chose not to have a first dance.

• I will be sharing my anniversary date with both of my sisters. Instead of a father-daughter dance I will be dancing with my nephew. Both my sisters and thier husbands will be joining us during our dance. I would not give them thier own dance but dedicate a song to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards