Getting in Shape
Options

Lower Abdominals

Hey all...

I was hoping to get some advice for targeting my lower abs.  I do a variety of crunches, planks, etc. but all seem to work best for my upper abs.  Do any of you have exercises specifically for lower abs that you do that you like?  I know I could easily google this but I am curious as to what you all think/do.

Re: Lower Abdominals

• Options
    i'm a fan of reverse crunches they really seem to hit the lower area nicely.  Especially when I do them in conjunction with other crunches to hit all the areas.
  • Options
    There's actually no such as your "lower abdominals."  It would be like saying "I want to target my lower bicep."  The abdominal muscle is all one long muscle.  So any time you're working your abs, you're working the upper and the lower. 

My favorite ab exercise is a plank.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Yeah I notice no matter what i do my abs show more towards the upper portion but not on the lower that's why I was curious.  They are also more firm (if you will) towards the top section than the bottom which is why I get frustrated.  

Planks are awesome I just never really "feel" it towards the lower portion as compared to the upper.  
  • Options
    That's just because most people tend to have more fat towards the lower section.  (I'm not saying you're fat!)  That's just the way fat (even on thin people) tends to distribute. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lower-abdominals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a80009bb-464b-44cc-902a-7ea16a6ee63ePost:1e5abf30-6ed0-402d-b3fb-fb9fa9bfa007">Re: Lower Abdominals</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's just because most people tend to have more fat towards the lower section.  (I'm not saying you're fat!)  That's just the way fat (even on thin people) tends to distribute. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>You biatch!  Haha.</div><div>
    </div><div>Yeah that makes sense.  Also, the abs being one not divided makes sense.  Is it sad I don't remember anatomy from HS?  </div>
  • Options
    I like to do ball pikes.  Get in the plank position, but with your shins on a stability ball (the big one, not a medicine ball).  Keeping your legs straight, and your arms under your shoulders, pull your butt up in the air and roll the ball from your shins to your toes.  You should look like an upside-down V.  Roll back out to a plank, repeat.

Also, I like to do leg raises:  I lay on my back with my head about 1/2 foot from a wall.  With a stability ball between my ankles and my legs straight, I raise my legs overhead & with an extra "squeeze" I tap the ball on the wall over my head.  Lower the ball but don't touch the ground.  *you can do this without the ball*

But PP is right, the abs are made up of the rectus abdominus, transverse abdominus, and obliques- they all work together :)
  • Options
    i just assumed she was thinking about the hypogastric regions.  :)
  • Options
    An old trainer of one of my friends also told her it's genetics.  Some people don't naturally get "cut."  I'm obnoxious and that's what I want... but that is highly unlikely.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lower-abdominals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a80009bb-464b-44cc-902a-7ea16a6ee63ePost:39d6bcd9-6508-4dee-adb2-ba31528384a0">Re: Lower Abdominals</a>:
    [QUOTE]An old trainer of one of my friends also told her it's genetics.  Some people don't naturally get "cut."  I'm obnoxious and that's what I want... but that is highly unlikely.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

Cut would be neat but with my genetics I think I'll be pleased if I can get to "not jiggling like jelly"
  • Options
    Besides your standard crunches, I make sure to work all the muscles in my core - with held plank positions, leg raises, and even lower back raises. But the other half of my ab 'routine' is all about diet - trying to keep it low fat, only eating the good fats, etc. Like previous PP's have posted, most people (esp women) have fat distrubuted along their hips/lower tummies. I used to beat myself up over my little buddah belly, it's shrinking (woo!) but I'm never going to have those super defined abs, and that's ok with me :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Cardio will help as well, as it'll help to get some of the fat off of the lower ab region. It won't spot reduce but on top of the core exercises should help to make it smaller.
  • Options
    Lower your sodium if you tend to eat processed foods a lot, and those abs will show a whole lot sooner! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I don't know what they are called but if you lay on your back and lift your legs up off the ground just and inch or two and hold them - I know I start shaking in a matter of seconds. If it hurts your lower back or you can feel your back curling you can put a towel underneath it to help. This seems way harder than typical leg raises at least for me. Good luck!
  • Options
    Leg lifts! Laying yourself down and then raising your legs from the 180 degree point to the 90 degree point will really hit your whole ab region. Hopefully you're more successful than I am....
  • Options
    Thanks all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards