Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Dress Concerns...

Many of you & the girls on my month board are getting their dresses/having fittings now.  My dress is scheduled to come in 07/22, (although my BM dresses were scheduled for 07/15, & those came in this past Monday, so my guess & hope is mine will come in sooner then 07/22).

In seeing all the dresses, I feel like I'm having second thoughts about my dress.  I'm not sure if it's just because I haven't had MY dress on, therefore it's not the right size & has never fit right.  And I'm not sure if it's just because I haven't seen it/had it on for so long now.  I don't know what the deal is! 

I love my dress when I see the sample & have it on, but when I look at pictures of myself in it, I just pick out all the bad stuff I see.  (Which points to some body issues I have).  I'm hoping that when it comes in, all of my worries are gone, but I'm just getting nervous about it. 

Anyone else have/having these issues or am I totally alone on this one?

Re: Dress Concerns...

• newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your FH will think you look beautiful no matter what your dress looks like...

That said, I had the same issues with my dress when I first got it!  I'm super flat and can't hold up a strapless dress to save my life... so don't ask my why I got one.  The actual dress did not fit very well compared to the sample that I had initially tried on and I didn't start to feel comfortable with it until my alterations lady nipped, tucked and transformed it!  That process wasn't complete until the week of the wedding... so my dress anxiety lasted awhile :)
  • edited December 2011
    You are not alone. I just had my first fitting last week and I am still second guessing my choice. Most days I love the dress but when I see myself in it I judge it against the pictures of the models that I have been using to show everyone... and there is no comparison! I just hope that once it is tailored it will flatter me perfectly and I will feel comfortable. My dress is just so outside of what I had pictured myself wearing.

I think every woman has something about their bodies they wish they could change and there isn't much we can do about that. But when we think about our wedding day and all of the attention that will be on us we want our dress to mask as many of these problem areas as possible!

I think you are a beautiful woman and I am sure once you get your dress in the proper size you will see that it will highlight your curves and hide any of the concerns you have. We are our own worst critics so just remember no one else is likely to notice the little problem areas!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

I had those feelings too!  I bought my dress in Feb 2010 so I've had it FOREVER.  However, whenever I put my dress back on I love it!  I think once you have YOUR dress oin and it fits better you'll most likely love it again :)  I just did my final dress fitting this weekend and it was the best I had ever thought I looked in my dress...because it was totally right and fit me perfectly! 

I think most girls go through that feeling of "Man, did I pick the wrong dress?!"  You're totally normal :)

June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I felt the EXACT same way after I bought my dress.  Mainly I felt this b/c my dress wasn't at all what I imagined wearing on my wedding, and every time I'd see one of those dresses, I'd second guess the one that I bought.  It also didn't help that my dress (which was a sample) was 4 sizes too big.  However, once I tried it on again, and especially after I had my first fitting-to where my dress actually fit correctly, I fell in love with it all over again!  I'm sure, like you said, once you have YOUR dress on and it is altered just for you, you'll remember why you picked it in the first place :)

Good Luck!
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    You're definitely not alone!  I purchased a sample dress that is two sizes too big and has to be altered down to fit.  When I put it on though, I love it.  When I look at photos of me wearing it, I think it's not flattering at all and wonder if I made a mistake.  I just try to remember how much I love it when I'm wearing it and that it will be altered to fit my body when I get closer to my wedding date.
    BFP #3 July 2012 = EDD 4/1/2013
    BFP #2 May 2012 = loss at 4w3d
    BFP #1 January 2003 = 9 year old son

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think you will feel completely differently once it fits on you. I loved LOVED my dress at the store, but now I have had it on only a couple times since this spring, and I don't like wearing it because it isn't at all fitted to me, and doesn't have nearly the same effect!!  I love your dress and think it will be a great choice for you!!
  • jmkaiserjmkaiser member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same issue. It took 6 months almost for my dress to come in and during that time I kept wondering if I made a mistake. I wouldn't say my dress is typical so it made me nervous. However now that I've had my fittings--I love it. I look forward to every fitting so I can put it on again. I've got the body issues too but my seamstress is amazing and she has pulled and tucked me everywhere I needed:)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the kind & encouraging words ladies!  I really appreciate it & am glad to know I'm not alone here!  = )
  • edited December 2011
    I think this is really normal. When i went to my first fitting i thought the dress was too small that I looked fat ect ect. After working with the semstress I figured out it wasn't me, the dress was made for someone a lot taller than me. By a simple adjustment (pulling up the waist of the dress. It suddenly looked amazing. I'm sure everyone has second guessed their dress!
  • edited December 2011
    I am having the same feeling!  I bought my dress a few weeks ago, and would review the pics and just wonder if it was right.  Then I tried it on again and was like ' what was I worried about, I love it."  Now I am looking at the pics again and thinking how it just doesn't look perfect and maybe something would look even better.  But the pics were taken by an iPhone and by my sister (not a photographer), my hair and makeup isn't done, it hasn't been fitted, and I think once it's the actual day it will all come together.  I am just having faith because whenever I do have the dress on I get this feeling that I could never let it go.  Your dress will look perfect on you I am sure!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    I totally am and did go through the same thing with my dress. But I can't wait till my dress fits right!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It's normal to have dress concerns after you've bought the dress.  So you shouldn't worry too much.  However, if you find yourself still checking out wedding dress daily (after you've already purchased yours) then you should be a little worried. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_dress-concerns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:a073ad4b-c0e2-4223-8292-e2bb44776ea7Post:dd8676e5-5dc0-4d6c-88b9-df8519f53664">Re: Dress Concerns...</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's normal to have dress concerns after you've bought the dress.  So you shouldn't worry too much.  <strong>However, if you find yourself still checking out wedding dress daily (after you've already purchased yours) then you should be a little worried. 
    </strong>Posted by MAYA3300[/QUOTE]

For sure!  No I'm not actively going out to look at dresses.  If I see them here on TK or from my FSIL or friend that are getting married next year, I look.  But I'm not out there searching for a new dress! 

I think I'll feel better once my dress is here!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_dress-concerns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:a073ad4b-c0e2-4223-8292-e2bb44776ea7Post:a1a556ab-4255-44cb-bfc0-f5ab40e581dd">Re: Dress Concerns...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are not alone. I just had my first fitting last week and I am still second guessing my choice. Most days I love the dress but when I see myself in it I judge it against the pictures of the models that I have been using to show everyone... and there is no comparison! I just hope that once it is tailored it will flatter me perfectly and I will feel comfortable. My dress is just so outside of what I had pictured myself wearing. I think every woman has something about their bodies they wish they could change and there isn't much we can do about that. But when we think about our wedding day and all of the attention that will be on us we want our dress to mask as many of these problem areas as possible! I think you are a beautiful woman and I am sure once you get your dress in the proper size you will see that it will highlight your curves and hide any of the concerns you have. We are our own worst critics so just remember no one else is likely to notice the little problem areas!
    Posted by EmilyCMN[/QUOTE]

Exactly this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards