Second Weddings
Options

I'm hoping for a 2nd weeding - Need Advice

A very good girlfriend of mine who is in her late 40's has Multiple Sclerosis. She's not on a wheelchair and walks around with walkers. She's married and has grown up children. However, her marriage is quite dead; there hasn’t been any passion or affection in a long time – way before her MS. I never see them talk to each other during get togethers! Prior to her MS diagnose, they separated4 times  for a divorce but got back together for the sake of the children. However,  now that she has MS, despite of the children being grown up, her husband would feel very guilty to leave her despite having no joy in his life. And she is scared of leaving him as well cuz she is scared of not being able to handle her MS. They go on leisure trips separately and share absolutely no common activity; they lead very separate lives but just share a roof.
For tomorrow, all her girlfriends are planning this big birthday party for her B’day. You should see how unenthusiastic her husband is about it! In some ways, I don’t blame him either because sometimes she is really selfish and mean with him (I guess that wahat happens when you are unhappy with the person). He puts up with her, but is also very frustrated.
A guy friend of mine who is around the same age as the husband is as well a very close friend to them both, especially to her. They knew each other before she even met her husband. Very recently at a dinner party at their house?”, I noticed his admiration for her and vice versa. He and I talked for a while, and he kept talking about her with such an enthusiasm! He told me that she is such a beautiful woman and she was even more stunningly beautiful when he first met her when they both were in college.  A few days ago, I was struck to see how many pictures of her and him was posted on Facebook by her sister.  The only man she took pictures with! And yet there were only 1 or 2 random pictures of the husband standing with other people, none with his wife!
This friend of ours is divorced and has 2 young children living with their mother. He is very caring and compassionate, very well educated, and very handsome (well, the whole package).
I’ve been thinking ever since that he would make a much better companion to her than her actual husband.  Is it crazy of me to think that way? I only want the best for her. And I hate to see her to go through life and live such an empty life. The gentleman that this friend is would never make a move on a married woman, and she won’t either (she feels very self-conscious about her illness and always think people are nice to her because of her situation); so how can I get them closer. Believe me, this would be a win situation for them all. My only concern is that her MS might frighten him, but it should NOT. She is  a perfectly fine person, with just limited mobility.
Earlier this year, a friend of my best friend got married. She is 38 years old and has also MS since 2004. She married this really nice guy, same age, and he is so caring of her. She also has limited mobility and since works from home.  So why can’t the same thing happen for my friend. When I saw the love between these 2 people, it really made me realize that having MS should not stop anyone from finding love again and mostly a happy life.
Any advice, on how I can get the two of them closer?

Thanks

Re: I'm hoping for a 2nd weeding - Need Advice

• Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I would let her decide if she's ready for a second "weeding."  Seriously, what you are suggesting is tantamount to breaking up her marriage or at the very least facilitating the breakup.  Do you really know what goes on behind the closed door of other people's marriages?  If your friend was that out of love, she'd do something about it, MS or no MS.
  • Options
    crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you need a second weeding..probably need a gardener for that. 

Mind Your own business. End of story.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, she's been putting this post about has she?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_im-hoping-2nd-weeding-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:0d9daab0-a512-4956-a2c7-3ee5ad81f701Post:ad286c19-1d57-406e-9110-d07d050c5101">Re: I'm hoping for a 2nd weeding - Need Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you need a second weeding..probably need a gardener for that.  Mind Your own business. End of story.
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]
    This.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_im-hoping-2nd-weeding-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:0d9daab0-a512-4956-a2c7-3ee5ad81f701Post:566634f0-8ae0-4e58-b7db-28694c1de619">Re: I'm hoping for a 2nd weeding - Need Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, she's been putting this post about has she?
    Posted by Marrin713[/QUOTE]
    Yup... and OP,no one is going to think this is ok.
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else:  MYOB.    Even if her marriage did break up, it is a really, really bad idea to jump from one relationship right into another.  Everyone needs time to process, to figure out what their individual contributions to the break up were, and then adjust and change behaviors.  Only THEN is it OK to get involved again.   I know you want your friend to be happy (if this isn't MUD) but you don't know that she wouldn't treat the new gentleman the same as her first husband. 

Ok, someone please capture and requote this entire post so that when the OP DDs we have it.  (My computer won't let me do that. Argh.)
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_im-hoping-2nd-weeding-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:0d9daab0-a512-4956-a2c7-3ee5ad81f701Post:ecb957d7-510e-424e-898f-41ca84d27d56">I'm hoping for a 2nd weeding - Need Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]A very good girlfriend of mine who is in her late 40's has Multiple Sclerosis. She's not on a wheelchair and walks around with walkers. She's married and has grown up children. However, her marriage is quite dead; there hasn’t been any passion or affection in a long time – way before her MS. I never see them talk to each other during get togethers! Prior to her MS diagnose, they separated4 times   for a divorce but got back together for the sake of the children. However,   now that she has MS, despite of the children being grown up, her husband would feel very guilty to leave her despite having no joy in his life. And she is scared of leaving him as well cuz she is scared of not being able to handle her MS. They go on leisure trips separately and share absolutely no common activity; they lead very separate lives but just share a roof. For tomorrow, all her girlfriends are planning this big birthday party for her B’day. You should see how unenthusiastic her husband is about it! In some ways, I don’t blame him either because sometimes she is really selfish and mean with him (I guess that wahat happens when you are unhappy with the person). He puts up with her, but is also very frustrated. A guy friend of mine who is around the same age as the husband is as well a very close friend to them both, especially to her. They knew each other before she even met her husband. Very recently at a dinner party at their house?”, I noticed his admiration for her and vice versa. He and I talked for a while, and he kept talking about her with such an enthusiasm! He told me that she is such a beautiful woman and she was even more stunningly beautiful when he first met her when they both were in college.   A few days ago, I was struck to see how many pictures of her and him was posted on Facebook by her sister.   The only man she took pictures with! And yet there were only 1 or 2 random pictures of the husband standing with other people, none with his wife! This friend of ours is divorced and has 2 young children living with their mother. He is very caring and compassionate, very well educated, and very handsome (well, the whole package). I’ve been thinking ever since that he would make a much better companion to her than her actual husband.   Is it crazy of me to think that way? I only want the best for her. And I hate to see her to go through life and live such an empty life. The gentleman that this friend is would never make a move on a married woman, and she won’t either (she feels very self-conscious about her illness and always think people are nice to her because of her situation); so how can I get them closer. Believe me, this would be a win situation for them all. My only concern is that her MS might frighten him, but it should NOT. She is   a perfectly fine person, with just limited mobility. Earlier this year, a friend of my best friend got married. She is 38 years old and has also MS since 2004. She married this really nice guy, same age, and he is so caring of her. She also has limited mobility and since works from home.   So why can’t the same thing happen for my friend. When I saw the love between these 2 people, it really made me realize that having MS should not stop anyone from finding love again and mostly a happy life. Any advice, on how I can get the two of them closer? Thanks
    Posted by pinktigerlady[/QUOTE]

There you are Hand.

OP - if my marriage breaks up can you facilitate a second weeding between me and George Clooney?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OOOH.  That's a good idea Mar!  My garden needs weeding, do you think you could get George to do it? 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So very bizzare.  What kind of friend judges your relationship and thinks you'd be way better off going thru a divorce with the *fingers crossed* hope of marrying another friend?

Remind me to not let you council me or any of my friends when we hit rough patches... sheesh.
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey if you have the urgent need to weed I have a couple of patches that could use it.

Never ever meddle in the lives of friends unles you want to end up being resented.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_im-hoping-2nd-weeding-need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:0d9daab0-a512-4956-a2c7-3ee5ad81f701Post:be5d16fd-5b14-4f0b-8428-234703fcd4c7">Re: I'm hoping for a 2nd weeding - Need Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]OOOH.  That's a good idea Mar!  My garden needs weeding, do you think you could get George to do it? 
    Posted by handfast4me[/QUOTE]

Naked ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, but Antonio Banderas.  Everytime I see him I just think he needs a bath. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards