New Jersey
Options

Catholic Priest for Beach wedding

I am planning a beach wedding in New Jersey and I'm currently looking for a Catholic priest to conduct the ceremony.  I understand that the marriage still won't be recognized by the church but we really just need a priest for our families.  I spoke to a few priests and they all seemed really creepy on the phone.  Does anyone have a recommendation? 

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catholic Priest for Beach wedding

• Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend got a really nice one from St. Judes Childrens Hospital.
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could be wrong, but a true Catholic Priest will not marry outside of the church.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    A Catholic priest can not perform a ceremony outside of the church without special permission from the Vatican.  It would be a defrockable (I don't know if that's even a word) offense to do so.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_catholic-priest-beach-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee145e4a-d9ba-4639-b9cb-16730357d207Post:1b35a82c-3600-462c-bce8-57fbecc4e99d">Re: Catholic Priest for Beach wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I could be wrong, but a true Catholic Priest will not marry outside of the church.
    Posted by felicia220[/QUOTE]

<div>What she said.</div>
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    agu101agu101 member
    edited December 2011
    We're using Father John Michael O'Sullivan.  He came highly recommended from our venue, and we had a chance to meet with him.  He was really great and gives you all the info you need to know.  He will also help guide you should you want to eventually have your marriage recognized by the Catholic community.  I have a few others I spoke with and can give you their info as well.  Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Bishop George Lucey.  He was once with the Roman Catholic Church but left due to disagreements he had with the Vatican.  He became a priest (and is now a bishop) with the American National Catholic Church and he's part of the Franciscan community.  He'll officiate non-church weddings with or without mass and he'll incorporate or eliminate any elements that you and your FI want.

The parish website is here: http://www.stfrancisnj.org/

Information about weddings is here: http://www.stfrancisnj.org/weddings.html

And his email is: georgelucey@hotmail.com
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We are using Fr. George Lucey as well.  In my search, I got a long list of names of catholic priests, some left the church to get married, others converted, some are retired, etc.  PM me if you'd like more info; I'm happy to share. 

Fr. Matthew Martin lives in Freehold and does a lot of beach weddings... I saw him on the list of venues down the shore. 
  • Options
    Nicole7477Nicole7477 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Father Vincent Rumain, he came recommended by our venue.  He left the church to do drug addiction counceling.  His ceremony is true to a catholic ceremony (minus the mass).  Let me know if you want/need more info.  I had the same issue with my parents and the "not getting married in a church" thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rubyfrubyf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_catholic-priest-beach-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee145e4a-d9ba-4639-b9cb-16730357d207Post:c993e663-0952-44bc-9486-a9f5a166de09">Re: Catholic Priest for Beach wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]A True Catholic priest can not perform a ceremony outside of the church without special permission from the Vatican.  
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>This!  If your family is concerned about having the marriage recognized, you can always have any officiant marry you and get the Catholic Blessing from a Catholic Priest.  I'm not sure how this works so you would need to ask your church about it.  My co-worker's daughter had a Catholic Blessing after getting married in their reception venue by an officiant. </div>
  • Options
    altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are using Father John Michael OSullivan, he is fantastic and very helpful. I contacted my church and explained we were not getting married nearby and I still wanted my church to recognize the marriage and they said I can contact them after the marriage is legalized and then go there for the blessing (by the way, officiants cost anywhere from $400-$600 and then the church - well mine - is "requiring" a $400 "donation"). Good luck in your search.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are also using Father Vincent J. Rumain...who came recommended from our venue and through a fellow knottie. He is in Long Branch and often performs Catholic Beach Ceremonies! PM if you would like contact info and pricing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_catholic-priest-beach-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee145e4a-d9ba-4639-b9cb-16730357d207Post:c993e663-0952-44bc-9486-a9f5a166de09">Re: Catholic Priest for Beach wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]A Catholic priest can not perform a ceremony outside of the church without special permission from the Vatican.  It would be a defrockable (I don't know if that's even a word) offense to do so.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#008080">This!</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#008080">Using any of the abve mentioned 'Catholic priests" would still mean that later in life, you would have to renew your vows in an actal Catholic church before they will baptize any children that may be born.</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#008080">So think it over if that's really important to you.</font></div>
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She was asking for a recommendation on a Catholic Priest.  She already stated that she knows it will not be recognized in a Catholic Church.  I don't think we need to keep re-hashing the fact that it will not be recognized in a church unless the service performed in a church.  Father Vincent Rumain is still a catholic priest even though he is not associated with a church.  He travels to the Vatican yearly, wears his full blown priest gear at your ceremony, and he conducts your ceremony almost identical to a tradittional catholic church ceremony. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_catholic-priest-beach-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee145e4a-d9ba-4639-b9cb-16730357d207Post:175cee76-aee6-4520-b4ca-ec0a6f38a2e5">Re: Catholic Priest for Beach wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]She was asking for a recommendation on a Catholic Priest.  She already stated that she knows it will not be recognized in a Catholic Church.  I don't think we need to keep re-hashing the fact that it will not be recognized in a church unless the service performed in a church.  Father Vincent Rumain is still a catholic priest even though he is not associated with a church.  He travels to the Vatican yearly, wears his full blown priest gear at your ceremony, and he conducts your ceremony almost identical to a tradittional catholic church ceremony. 
    Posted by Nicole7477[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#008080">Not everyone fully understands what "not recognized" means.... It may initially seem like its not a big deal, but once you learn that it may effect future children's baptisms many people feel differently. I know I would appreciate if someone pointed out such a fact to me before I made a decision I may potentially regret later on.</font>

</div>
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm confused.  If the Priest is no longer with the church, how can they still technically be a Catholic Priest?  This is why I stay away from the religious realm, way too confusing and way too many rules.  

Going back to my bubble now.  
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is retired from the church.  Therefore, he is still recognized by the Vatican as a catholic priest even though he is not officially associated with a specific church. 

@Cristina- If you want more information regarding his background, just give him a call.   He is located in Long Branch, NJ.  PM me if you can't locate his number.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm just getting to reading your posts now.  Thank you everyone so much for the recommendations!  I contacted Father Rumain and he sounds wonderful.  Easy to talk to and professional.  I spoke to a few before and I got kinda freaked out.  I understand that the church won't recognize the marriage and I'm fine with that.  I beach wedding is what we always wanted!  Thanks again everyone!Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you meet with him, he will give you an entire run down of what your ceremony will be and where you need to put music ect. ect.  He even gives you a TON of programs from weddings he has done, which I found helpful in selecting music and readings for the ceremony. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Great!   Thank you so much....what a relief!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Christina---it's Laurie!  So glad to see you on here!   Gregg and I are so excited for you guy!!  The guy that we used for our wedding...Father Paul Mayer was once a Catholic Priest just no longer with the church.   We loved him and I would recommend him...if you want his info just let me know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Laurie, just seeing this post now.  I fb messaged you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TalamoTalamo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The catholic church would never refuse to baptize a child as long as you vow to bring him up in the catholic faith.
  • Options
    CEOwifeCEOwife member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_catholic-priest-beach-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee145e4a-d9ba-4639-b9cb-16730357d207Post:22f1c232-c915-446f-a52f-8e3f9ac3609e">Re: Catholic Priest for Beach wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm just getting to reading your posts now.  Thank you everyone so much for the recommendations!  I contacted Father Rumain and he sounds wonderful.  Easy to talk to and professional.  I spoke to a few before and I got kinda freaked out.  I understand that the church won't recognize the marriage and I'm fine with that.  I beach wedding is what we always wanted!  Thanks again everyone!
    Posted by CristinaJoe21811[/QUOTE]

<div>We used him for our 6.11.11 wedding at Windows on the Water and it was amazing! We have two friends who are engaged and were at our beach ceremony.  Both couples booked him!!</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Catholic Priest for Beach wedding:

Can you give me Father Vincent J. Rumain's contact information? I am looking to have a wedding right outside Ann Arbor, but don't want to do it in a Catholic Church. Thank you!!
  • Options
    EZHCEZHC member
    First Comment

"We are also using Father Vincent J. Rumain...who came recommended from our venue and through a fellow knottie. He is in Long Branch and often performs Catholic Beach Ceremonies! PM if you would like contact info and pricing."

Hi - I just joined the Knot, so not sure how to PM yet, but could you please let me know Father Rumain's pricing and phone number? Thank you!

• Options
    EZHC said:

"We are also using Father Vincent J. Rumain...who came recommended from our venue and through a fellow knottie. He is in Long Branch and often performs Catholic Beach Ceremonies! PM if you would like contact info and pricing."

Hi - I just joined the Knot, so not sure how to PM yet, but could you please let me know Father Rumain's pricing and phone number? Thank you!

@EZHC This thread is over 3 years old. The posters are long gone. Try starting a new thread.

• Options
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Look another thread where JC and Hoboken make fun of a poster back to back. The knot should really ban people who posted under multiple names. 

EZHC was responding to kguzdzial.  Great job reading there. 
  • Options
    Look another thread where JC and Hoboken make fun of a poster back to back. The knot should really ban people who posted under multiple names. 

EZHC was responding to kguzdzial.  Great job reading there. 

Seriously WTF is your problem? You love to start trouble. You know trolling is against the TOS

• Options
    Nobody's making fun of anybody.  It's a very common occurrence on TK that a poster revives a thread from years ago and somebody tells her she'll get better help if she starts a new thread.  Heck, yeah the LMGTFY link is snarky but I actually gave her the info she needed anyway.

@JxSwedding why do you have it out for us?  I'm pretty sure I didn't even have any direct exchange with you until you started calling out me and Hoboken for giving good etiquette advice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards