January 2012 Weddings

XP - do you have any holiday traditions? (NWR)

My family is pretty untraditional (and that is fine) but now that FI and I are starting our lives together, I thought it might be nice to start some traditions of our own.  My daughter and I always go out each year and buy an ornament that reminds us of something speical or something she was "into" that year.  And then I always buy us new PJ's (that we get to open on Xmas eve) so we have "nice" PJ's for pictures.

Is there anything you all do (or don't do) that has become a holiday tradition?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP - do you have any holiday traditions? (NWR)

• We just go to my granny's each year on Christmas eve but no real traditional acts except she makes us sing happy birthday to jesus when we put him under the tree
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• The one tradition that FI have started is going to Disneyland on Christmas Eve.  I think once we have children we will develop more traditions.

I really like your PJ traditions!

Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I love the PJ idea.  Once I have kids, I'm doing this.  :)

My family has a traditional meal we eat for Christmas Eve, potato soup, oyster soup, fried shrimp, fried chicken fingers, lots of cheese, crackers and veggie trays.  I've continued this the years that FI and I don't see my side of the family at Christmas but on a smaller scale.  We just do the potato soup and veggie tray since it's the two of us.  This year we are having FMIL over as well since it's her first Christmas alone (recently divorced). 

FI and I agree that we like to open our presents to each other at home Christmas morning and once we have kids we'll continue that tradition. If we do visit my family for Christmas, we'll leave after opening presents at our house.  Or they can come visit us.  :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_xp-holiday-traditions-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:77538842-7864-46e6-b5a7-e508c77112d9Post:81b75f49-0b67-4d7f-b23f-29e6100c10b6">Re: XP - do you have any holiday traditions? (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The one tradition that FI have started is going to Disneyland on Christmas Eve.  I think once we have children we will develop more traditions. I really like your PJ traditions!
    Posted by sassygirl5401[/QUOTE]

I love this... but I think it might be a very pricey tradition for us (from CO).... say hi to Mickey and Minnie for me!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_xp-holiday-traditions-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:77538842-7864-46e6-b5a7-e508c77112d9Post:37154d4a-3076-4759-b10e-f7cd56b11cb9">Re: XP - do you have any holiday traditions? (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love the PJ idea.  Once I have kids, I'm doing this.  :) My family has a traditional meal we eat for Christmas Eve, potato soup, oyster soup, fried shrimp, fried chicken fingers, lots of cheese, crackers and veggie trays.  I've continued this the years that FI and I don't see my side of the family at Christmas but on a smaller scale.  We just do the potato soup and veggie tray since it's the two of us.  Posted by shellmaneth[/QUOTE]

I love how you are adjusting the tradition so you can keep doing it!  And potato soup sound fantastic!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_xp-holiday-traditions-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:77538842-7864-46e6-b5a7-e508c77112d9Post:b856cf39-e77b-4acf-85da-88e9804253e6">Re: XP - do you have any holiday traditions? (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP - do you have any holiday traditions? (NWR) : I love this... but I think it might be a very pricey tradition for us (from CO).... say hi to Mickey and Minnie for me!
    Posted by km2124[/QUOTE]

Also love this idea, but it would be expensive.  :)  Very fun tradition though for where you live. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_xp-holiday-traditions-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:77538842-7864-46e6-b5a7-e508c77112d9Post:81b75f49-0b67-4d7f-b23f-29e6100c10b6">Re: XP - do you have any holiday traditions? (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The one tradition that FI have started is going to Disneyland on Christmas Eve.  I think once we have children we will develop more traditions. I really like your PJ traditions!
    Posted by sassygirl5401[/QUOTE]
    totally Jealous! Say hi for me too!

I don't really have any traditions, except taking a family picture in front of the christmas trees when we come home from  church.
  • my extended family all gets together in a big Irish party on Christmas Eve (which has always been a bigger deal than Christmas Day).  We feast and the kids get to open their presents, and the grown ups get to do a grab bag exchange.

But my favorite part is when we light the family candle, everyone (all 50 of us)holds hands and we say a family set of prayers to welcome the Christ child into our hearts and to honor and remember those in our family we've lost in the past year.  It's somber, but it's always been my favorite part of Christmas.

We also have a tradition that in the stockings everyone gets a mini cereal, an orange and a candy cane for Christmas breakfast.  You roll the orange till it's completely liquid inside, break the 2 ends off the candy cane, stab the orange, and you can drink the juice from the orange like a straw - it's fun :)
    "What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined...to strengthen each other... to be one with each other in silent, unspeakable memories." -George Eliot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards