Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

honest thoughts on video footage

hi ladies, so my fiance and i just made another check..we reserved a dj. now while we were there we look briefly into their video services as well. they offered us their most elite package which includes 8 hours of coverage (i.e. the 1st look and photo shoots, ceremony, cocktail hour and reception). this would then be edited into a 2 hour or so dvd with chapter selections, a movie trailer, recap, etc for $1295. i keep thinking it would be nice to have a video to actually recap on our ceremony and vows as well as see a lot of the other footage that my fiance and I may miss throughout the day. however, what are your ladies honest opinions. is a video reall worth it, have you ever watched it more then once? Everyone keeps saying "oh the one thing i regret is not having a video," but is that really the case? I really need HONEST thoughts ladies. Thanks! 

Re: honest thoughts on video footage

• Options
    Well I know I was going to have video because it really is good for later on.  I know my godmother had her first wedding taped and she will still watch it even now and will show people that will ask.  Also if you plan on having kids someday I know they will really enjoy it.  My cousin who is 5 loves watching the wedding video of my uncle and aunt her daddy and mommy.  I think it really is worth it.  And the price having a friend who has there own video company that price is worth it.  :)  The videos will always be there for you so everyone can enjoy it later 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I should be getting my video this week, and I can't wait! The ceremony went by SO fast, and my photographer actually did not get a very good picture of our first kiss, so I'm really really excited to watch it. For me, it was totally worth it, even if we only watch it once a year on our anniversary. Video captures so many little things that pictures just can't. Don't get me wrong, we got some beautiful photos, but I really think having it on video is gonna be awesome. :)

Also, a lot of H's family wasn't able to make it to the wedding, as it was in MN, so we'll be able to show it to anyone who wants to see it. And my in laws are really big into video (my MIL taped our ceremony and a lot of our reception, even though we told her we had a videographer, heh) so I know they will appreciate it.
  • Options
    we're having it... if the wedding is anything like the engagement (where everything goes by in a blur) it will be nice to have, because there was things picked up in the engagement video I didn't even realize had happened...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    While the edited video I received was not to my liking I am still glad I had a videographer. I am still searching for someone to re-edit the video from the raw footage I have. There have been times when I really wanted to watch it. I watch our short recap video all. the. time. And my niece loves watching it as well!

A former co-worker says her 13 year old daughter watches her wedding video all the time.

I think I would be sad if I did not have the video footage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    broodc2broodc2 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_honest-thoughts-on-video-footage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:c1aaf664-d108-428f-aea4-5af34cb50398Post:0757bf8c-6779-4e6e-a1dc-d2584b56c53d">honest thoughts on video footage</a>:
    [QUOTE]is a video reall worth it, have you ever watched it more then once? Everyone keeps saying "oh the one thing i regret is not having a video," but is that really the case? I really need HONEST thoughts ladies. Thanks! 
    Posted by NurseCassie88[/QUOTE]

My FI and I debated about spending extra $$ for a videographer.  It was actually our photograher and our coordinator that really convinced us.  They made some good points about how the day will go by so fast and it will be nice to capture things that the bride and groom don't see.  But moreso, my FI decided it was worth it because video captures the things photographs just can't (i.e. the way her dress moves when she walks down the aisle, capturing audio from vow exchange and speeches, etc.). 
  • Options
    I'm not married yet, but I am definitely not going with a video. It's my personal choice, but I remember being at my cousin's wedding and not being able to see because the videographer was in the way. I'd rather have my guests enjoy the moment and cherish the stories that they will have about the day rather than have every waking moment captured on video. Again, this is my personal opinion, and I do understand why people might want to  have a pro video their wedding, but I will be happy without one. There's even a good chance someone will video things from the day on his/her phone this day in age, though I am not relying on that.

kajs
    kajs Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be completely honest- I don't regret not hiring a videographer for our wedding. For my first wedding, we had a friend video the ceremony for us, and a bit of the reception. I've NEVER watched it. For our second wedding, we decided against it. FIL did video the ceremony, but I still haven't seen it. (NBD) I remember the things that meant a lot to me, as does DH. I've been to too many weddings where the videographer A.- gets in the way. B. Makes guests uncomfortable. C. Has technical difficulties.

Sometimes, pictures speak so much more than video. It allows everyone to recreate their own memories. :) 
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not having a videographer. Not only a budget decision but while I might look at it w/friends who couldn't make the wedding, it's not high priority. My feeling is my ceremony will live forver in my memory, which is where it counts. Whether all my guests would care one way or another I seriously doubt. But that's my personal choice. I have feeling this is one call that is very much the wedding couple's call.
  • Options
    I am having this debate now too. I basically would have to go with what I consider to be a lower quality photographer to make both work in my budget. I am thinking amazing photos are more important to me.  I think other people in my life think I am strange for that because they claim not to see a huge difference in photographers (one option is more of a national chain and, to me, seems more generic. I like more of the artistic, less traditional photographers.)
  • Options
    I am having this debate as well.  I am waiting to settle on a few more contracts and big checks before I decide.  I didn't cut my photography budget to get a videographer, but I would be willing to cut on decor and flowers and extras like that in order to get a videographer.  But have yet to book those things....so will see.

jelybean -- who was your videographer?  what was wrong with the footage?

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards