Options

Addressing Wedding Ivites

Re: Addressing Wedding Ivites

• Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we said Ms.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jmestylejmestyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Do you mean the front of the invite where it says your name and your fiance's name is? If so, I didn'tput either. I just started it with my first name.
    As for guest invites, I do Miss

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

It can be either.

Most of my single female peers go by Ms.

Most of the older single women who have never been married (in my family) go by Miss.

And my married friends who have kept their maiden name are Ms. 

Can you be more specific with the situation though?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Like my single girl friends who don't have boyfriends or even the one's who do but aren't married....
  • Options
    tannymcgeetannymcgee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a question along these lines --

i was thinking about doing the single women who have never been married as miss, and the divorced women friends (got a few) as ms ?  Should i just keep it consistent and call everyone ms ?
    Married 4/30/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We went all Ms. to avoid people getting offended.  It was easier to do that than to go back through every single invite and think about how the individual would feel!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Most women my age  (29) go by Ms. if they've never been married.

If they're divorced, they're most likely wanting to be Ms.

But it's always best to just ask.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with banana, I'm 30 and would prefer to go by Ms.  If you question anyone as you go through your guest list, you should ask.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh crap... I guess I have bad etiquette!  I was in such a rush to get my invites out that I TOTALLY forgot to do Ms., Mrs. Mr, etc.!!! WOOPS!!!!  At least my invites look nice and got out on time... I guess I get a Miss Manners slap on the wrist though!  bummer...
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    don't stress - everyone just throws the envelope out anyway!
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_addressing-wedding-ivites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:67ee7fd3-5bb4-4f28-a2e7-929b06116ab9Post:876d05ec-3000-4acf-8405-d85ade450ce5">Re: Addressing Wedding Ivites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh crap... I guess I have bad etiquette!  I was in such a rush to get my invites out that I TOTALLY forgot to do Ms., Mrs. Mr, etc.!!! WOOPS!!!!  At least my invites look nice and got out on time... I guess I get a Miss Manners slap on the wrist though!  bummer...
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]

Awww no Carrie! Don't worry about it, most people won't even notice and if they do the envelope gets thrown away pretty much immediately anyway. Don't feel bad! No slap on the wrist! ;0)

And yes your invites were gorgeous!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Traditionally, Miss is used to refer to an unmarried woman.
    Ms. is a term that sprouted up during the feminist revolution, and is intended to be a female form of address that makes no reference to her marital status. In other words, to address her without placing importance on whether or not there's a man in her life.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sarah-Jean, you're exactly correct.

The issue though is that given the possibilities, it can sometimes be confusing.

And while I know someone "could" now address me as "Ms." I want to be "Mrs." 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards