Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

midnight vows

My best friend wants to be married at midnight under a full moon. So we are thinking of the dinner and activities prior to the vows and dancing afterwards. Any suggestions on activities we shoul. Have and how to pull it all together?

Re: midnight vows

• Options
    I think it's a cute idea in theory but I think realistically it would be hard to pull off. Do any of their guests have kids? Have to work the next day? Are elderly? Have some other reason why they wouldn't want to be out until the wee hours of the morning? Also, have they actually found an officiant who will agree to do the ceremony at midnight?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Is there some religious reason for wanting to do this?  i don't think many people would be willing to stick around for this.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    No religious reason . Purely romantics! They have the actual ceremony part covered. It will be on a Saturday night and wedding guest will be mostly adults. The few children will be preteen and teens.
  • Options
    If they are planning on serving liquor after the ceremony they should look into their local laws - where I'm from no liquor can be served after 1:30 AM.

How many guests are they expecting to have?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_midnight-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:c7d6de2d-c4fb-4535-8cda-a4964e8107efPost:970d8868-dd04-41ac-8b40-2fa60d632030">Re: midnight vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not gonna lie ...  if I was invited to a reception that began at 8pm, and the ceremony wasn't until midnight, I would go to the reception, give the couple my congratulations, and leave before the ceremony.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

<div>You made me feel so much better!  I didn't want to come on here and say as a MOB "you want me to watch a wedding at WHAT TIME??"</div><div>
    </div><div>OP - what if it is a very cloudy night and you can't see the moon?  In theory this sounds all romantic and whatnot, but this girl just doesn't do midnight weddings and I'm wondering about a lot of their family members.  Do the grandparents, aunts/uncles hang out and party til all hours?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_midnight-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:c7d6de2d-c4fb-4535-8cda-a4964e8107efPost:970d8868-dd04-41ac-8b40-2fa60d632030">Re: midnight vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not gonna lie ...  if I was invited to a reception that began at 8pm, and the ceremony wasn't until midnight, I would go to the reception, give the couple my congratulations, and leave before the ceremony.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Same here.  I'm barely able to make it to midnight on New Years Eve.
  • Options
    Lol! I know it is going to be a challenge but it's her dream wedding so she shall have it. It will be a small wedding. Close friends and family. And will definately have to have a plan B for weather. I appreciate all the honesty. Helps to planfor those barriers.
  • Options
    I could barely stay up until midnight for my own wedding.
    Sorry to say, even if this is her 'dream', it's a bad idea.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_midnight-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:c7d6de2d-c4fb-4535-8cda-a4964e8107efPost:c4409cdb-755c-4c6b-8ce9-31882268ec70">Re:midnight vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lol! I know it is going to be a challenge <strong>but it's her dream wedding so she shall have it.</strong> It will be a small wedding. Close friends and family. And will definately have to have a plan B for weather. I appreciate all the honesty. Helps to planfor those barriers.
    Posted by purpleperry[/QUOTE]

We tell many brides here who have crazy ideas, that once you start to invite people beyond the B&G, it is no longer your day and you must consider your guests comfort.  PP have given great advice.  Tell the bride to come over here and ask about her midnight wedding, we will tell her the same thing as we told you.
  • Options
    I'm wondering how much this will be her dream when she gets a lot of declines.  Just because someone has a dreamy vision of something doesn't mean it is a good idea or a gracious way of hosting guests.
  • Options
    Not all dreams are reasonable.
  • Options
    If her dream is to get married under the moon why can't she do that at 9pm? Why does it have to be at midnight. The effect would be the same, but guests would be much more alert.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    What's she going to do if it rains?  Almost everyone declines? Part of being a friend is telling someone that their idea is really really bad.  How does her FI feel about this?  As much as this is her dream, it is his wedding also.

I also just checked the full moon calendar for next year.  The only Full Moons that fall on a Saturday are May 25 and October 19.  Those dates are still pretty chilly out for an outdoor wedding.  There are none that fall on a Friday.  Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday are the options while it would still be warm out.  Having a wedding on any of those dates at midnight are guaranteed to have a near 100% decline rate.  I sure as hell wouldn't blow a vacation day and take the next day off work for this.
  • Options
    This is one of those things that sound good but in reality it's a terrible idea.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_midnight-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:c7d6de2d-c4fb-4535-8cda-a4964e8107efPost:7f77c921-b9dd-48ff-85c2-e8f488b237b1">Re: midnight vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]If her dream is to get married under the moon why can't she do that at 9pm? Why does it have to be at midnight. The effect would be the same, but guests would be much more alert.
    Posted by arendiva[/QUOTE]

This. I understand the moonlight/romantic thing but there's nothing sexy about midnight..it's just a time.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input. The wedding isn't until July 12, 2014 in Ohio. I thought I would get as much feedback as possible so they have plenty of time to change their plans if it seems too unrealistic. And yes the groom what's the midnight full moon vows too. You have all given me plenty to consider an. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Thank you!!
  • Options
    I think it sounds adorably romantic and fun and I'd still probably go home before the ceremony or immediately after the ceremony.   Personally, I think the only way to really pull this off is to have a very small guest list where everyone was on board. 

I think it sounds like a good idea in theory, but I'd still rethink it.  The 9pm moon is just as pretty as the midnight moon.
  • Options
    sounds like a dream that will turn into a bad idea. i certainly wouldnt go to a midnight wedding. im in bed by 10-11pm.
  • Options
    I have noticed that in states that have "legalized" marriage equlality for gay and lesbian couples, many such couples choose to marry at the earliest possible moment -- 12 a.m. on the first day that such marriages are legal. These couples seem to have all sorts of midnight ceremonies -- from black tie/candlight formal to jeans and tee-shirts before a justice of the peace. 

Personally, I am a night owl. I love the idea of a midnight wedding, but I realize that others might not agree,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards