Ohio-Cleveland

Visiting reception venues

Today, I am going to visit some possible reception venues for the first time. Any suggestions on what to bring, what to ask, etc.? Do any venues let you take pictures? Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Visiting reception venues

• They should all allow you to take pics, so definitely bring a camera. We didn't run into any that wouldn't, and it helps sort things out later, especially if you're seeing more than one venue in a day.

For an initial visit, you really don't need to bring anything, but do have questions in mind (or on paper). Think about what's important to you. If you plan to serve alcohol, ask if it's offered or if you're expected to supply your own. If you're serving alcohol, ask about what security requirements must be met (who hires the security officer?).

If you plan to supply your own cake, find out if there's any sort of 'cutting fee' for them to serve a cake that's not theirs.

Ask if there's a limit as to how long the reception can go (some cities cap it at midnight or so).

Ask about menu offerings and when you can do a tasting (and how much a tasting costs -- some places charge).

What decorations are included, if any? Colored linens included (if that's important to you)?

I'm sure others will chime in with more question ideas. You can also Google for some, and see what applies to your situation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd also ask if they have vendors you must use.

I took a notebook with me and took some notes while we were at each location.  I'd also bring a tote bag, or something similar.  Most will give you some packets/information about the place.

If you are visiting multiple places in one day, it's nice to have a place to put them all.

Just thought of another.  I'd ask if the event coordinator acts as a Day of Coordinator.  Otherwise it may be wise to employ some additional help the day of to make sure things run smoothly (obviously not required, but probably would be nice)

Try to prod to see if there are any additional hidden costs they don't discuss up front. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks ladies!  I have found a venue I love!  I think we are going to have our ceremony right there, too!  Thanks again for the great advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards