Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Venue help: Loft or modern/funky gallery space?

Hi all, first time poster, so thanks in advance for any recs?  I live in DC but am considering a MN wedding (my hometown).  We are trying to find a loft or other "blank slate" space that we could make into something crazy and fun for a reception (and/or wedding).  I think we'll probably have around 100 guests.  I haven't seen anything great yet (just started looking), but I'd also be open to any offbeat venues, cool gallery spaces, or industrial type open spaces... bonus points if there is some type of deck or other outdoor space adjacent.  The Soap Factory looks cool, but I am concerned about the lack of climate control?

We don't really have a strict budget, but would love to have a space where we could choose our own caterer.  Also, looking at spring 2012 wedding date...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for any help!!

Re: Venue help: Loft or modern/funky gallery space?

• Options
    mackle622mackle622 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out The Day Block building in Mpls, it's pretty much a blank slate and I believe it has a balcony.

Also, check out these:

http://mnbride.com/stories/minneapolis-warehouse-weddings

http://www.the110northlooploft.com/

HTH!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any advice but I want to say I heard somewhere that (as of a few months ago at least).  That the soap factory does not have proper zoning permits or whatever to hold a wedding. 

I can't say for certain if it was the Soap Factory, just make sure that whatever venue you choose that it is able to hold weddings there. 

Welcome and good luck with your search!!
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mill City Museum?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_venue-loft-modernfunky-gallery-space?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:6641d670-3bb2-4014-b255-1c1e7d6228f3Post:b34c8f53-40ab-4a24-8078-d7f035fb3e33">Venue help: Loft or modern/funky gallery space?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I live in DC but am considering a MN wedding (my hometown).  Posted by jesslemke[/QUOTE]

I live in the DC area and am planning a MN wedding as well! May I just say there is a BIG bang for your buck in MN. We're able to have a nicer bigger wedding in MN for a third of the price of DC. Plus no sales tax on your wedding dress if you shop in MN!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_venue-loft-modernfunky-gallery-space?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:6641d670-3bb2-4014-b255-1c1e7d6228f3Post:75c2e2a6-23df-4bba-8fdb-efea1d6d291e">Re: Venue help: Loft or modern/funky gallery space?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mill City Museum?
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

<div>Ahh, if I had the bucks this is where I'd host!! </div>
  • Options
    mlschn06mlschn06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there is an art gallery downtown, want to say it is called Gallery 13? that can host weddings and you can choose your own caterers and maybe even bring in your own booze?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    check out the 5 event center
    http://fiveeventcenter.com/

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Chambers hotel (which has an art gallery feel) does weddings and I believe has outdoor space.

The Weisman Art museum (on University of Minnesota Campus) IS an art gallery that allows weddings, not sure how much access you have to outdoor space.

I am getting married at the Hennepin County Central Library in downtown MPLS, which as a very modern feel.  HOwever, the do not let in outside caterers.
    Henry
    imageHenry Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Walker has a room that's basically a blank white slate with some cool architecture on one of the walls.  Pricey, though, and you may have to use the Wolfgang Puck restaurant for catering, since they're on-site.  Right outside of it is the Mpls Sculpture Garden, which makes for some really cool pictures.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WOW, ladies, thank you so much!  l literally just sighed from relief... getting all these great ideas so quickly (after I have spent a few hours running in internet circles) makes me actually think I will make it through the planning process alive.  The Mill City Museum looks amazing, not sure why I hadn't thought of it!  Hopefully it won't be booked out for years and years.  If anyone has experience w/this venue, I would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm also very intrigued by the Day Block and Paddy's suggestions.  I've looked into a sculpture garden ceremony but it sounds like some of the logistics can be a pain.

@khornbach: good to know about the favorable exchange rate from DC to MN!  Any good tips about planning from afar?  Did you use either a DC or MN wedding planner?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did not hire a wedding planner, but had my parents in MN helping me. My recommendation is to make the most of your trips out there. Schedule everything you can and breeze through it. Also for your own sanity don't try to DIY since trasnporting tons of stuff back and forth will drive you crazy. But seriously buy your dress in MN. No sales tax on clothing is huge. Also because we're out of state we're able to not have sales tax on our photography. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions!
  • Options
    dream2011dream2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just contacted Ben with the soap factory for information about hosting a wedding there and they said that they hope to have it up and running for 2012, but they are not positive. HTH

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_venue-loft-modernfunky-gallery-space?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:6641d670-3bb2-4014-b255-1c1e7d6228f3Post:87db82ca-7f10-4fc9-89d6-d32518df2f70">Re: Venue help: Loft or modern/funky gallery space?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have any advice but I want to say I heard somewhere that (as of a few months ago at least).  That the soap factory does not have proper zoning permits or whatever to hold a wedding.  I can't say for certain if it was the Soap Factory, just make sure that whatever venue you choose that it is able to hold weddings there.  Welcome and good luck with your search!!
    Posted by SuperRNluvsChef[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I also looked into having a wedding at Soap Factory. They are not holding weddings until further notice due to licensing. Bummer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards