Illinois-Chicago

Westin Maui

We were so excited to book there and now realize this may be a kid target.  We don't want to spend our honeymoon with hunderds of kids - has anyone been here?  Not sure what to do - our honeymoon is mid april.

Re: Westin Maui

• edited December 2011
    I went to Maui a few years back with my Mom for her 50th.  We didn't stay at the Westin, we stayed next door at the Sheraton Resort and Spa.  We were not fans of the Westin.  There were a lot of kids (but we were there in July) but that didn't really bother us.  We just didn't like how the resort was set up and it was really crowded when we were there.  We did like the Sheraton though.  It was a lot more spread out and we felt like we could get some privacy.  They all have the same ammenities I think. 
  • edited December 2011
    We booked the Hyatt Resort in Maui for our HM!  But we were deciding between this and Westin.  FI's parents have stayed at the Westin and they loved it, they didn't mention anything about kids but I'm sure it depends on the time of year also.
  • edited December 2011
    It always depends on the time of year and you might avoid spring breaks with an April vacation.

Although I don't know the Westin well, we stayed at the Marriott in Wailea (western Maui) and absolutely loved it! We really enjoyed the adult-only infinity pool too, although there didn't seem to be too many kids around the resort in general.

A lot of the hotels will be similiar, and many of them around Wailea (south of Kihei) are connected by a long ocean-front walking path. Some of the beaches along the path have lots of kids, but it seemed to depend on the activites available on that part of the beach.

My suggestion is to check if the hotel has an adult-only pool for you and your new hubby to find some peace and relaxation. Also keep in mind that if you are planning excursions around the island you may not spend prime kiddie time by the pool or beach anyway.
  • nicknjackie10nicknjackie10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got back Satruday from our honeymoon in Hawaii.  We spent a week on Ouha and week on Maui. We stay at the Sheraton at both and would highly recommend.  On Maui, we walked down the beach to see the other hotels and made a note that the Hyatt and Westin had a lot of kids.  The Sheraton still had a handful of kids, but there are two different pools where you didn't have to see or hear them if you didn't want.  We picked the Sheraton on reviews from other people and it was the most spread out hotel and never felt crowded.  We loved it and would definitely stay there again when we go back.  For being honeymooners, we got a bottle of champagne waiting for us in the room, and where the hotel made our dinner reservations, we got a free dessert or drink for our honeymoon.  They really took care of us. 

Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    My gift for my husband's 30th birthday was a trip to Hawaii, which we will be going on in November - I was between the Westin and the Hyatt.  The reviews on expedia fared slightly better with the Hyatt, so I went with them.  Plus, I liked the look of the hotel better.  But with your honeymoon being mid-April, I don't think there will be too many kids since they'll be in school.
  • edited December 2011
    We have booked the Hyatt in both Maui and Oahu for our honeymoon.  Our travel agent recommended the Hyatt on Maui and then if we booked the Hyatt at Oahu...which is across the street from Waikiki beach we would get free breakfast everyday...major $ saver!  Wow can't wait to be there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 260 Invited image
    167 Thrilled to Attend image
    71 Devastated they can't make it image
    22 making us sweat it out image
    RSVP Date- June 30
  • kryan0728kryan0728 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice!  I feel so much pressure to make sure we get it right since this is our honeymoon -we have taken so many trips before but I feel this one has to be perfect - I think I need to relax a little - I'm more stressed about the honeymoon than the wedding planning :)

nicknjackie10  - did the pools at the Sheraton in Maui and views of the ocean?  Did you ever have an issue finding a chair at the pool?
  • marissamaiermarissamaier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I stayed at the Westin in Maui back in December of 2005. While there are some kids there, we didn't notice it to be obnoxious. We pretty much sat at the pool every day, ate lunch at their outdoor restaurant and sipped drinks poolside daily and never had troubles with little kids running around.

The hotel is BEAUTIFUL and very close to Lahaina which is also beautiful. I really recommend the Westin! The rooms were outstanding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • nicknjackie10nicknjackie10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THe pools at Maui Sheraton had views of the beach.  All the hotels had views and were basically on the beach.  You could bring water rafts/tubes to use in the water.  We never had a problem finding chairs.  We did find ourselves claiming chairs with towels or books in certain areas because there was a more secluded area with only four chairs and a unbrella like thing.  When we booked, we got breakfast for two free everday.  There are two bars near the pool.  One opens earlier and the other closes later.  It is the last hotel on the "strip" of hotels.  The end is the black rock cliff where kids jump off into the ocean.  The deciding factor for us was kids.  They don't really cater to kids at this hotel which was the biggest selling point. 

You can't go wrong any where you stay.  It was so beautiful.  We are already wondering when we can go back. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards