Wedding Reception Forum
Options

To Dine or to Nibble?

The only reasonable time I could get for our wedding was 8:45 pm starting the reception roughly around 9:30. We are getting married in Vegas and are planning the reception in the same hotel. I had planned on doing a full buffet dinner, cake (or some sort), and an open bar.

The wedding planner there seems to think 9:30 is too late for a full dinner. I am really unsure. Do you think everyone will have already eaten dinner by then, and we should go with hors d'oeuvres and snacky trays or go with a full dinner buffet?

Sorry. I decided tonight that my friends have had enough crazed phone calls and maybe I should start directing my (Many) thoughts and questions to people that actually are going through the same thing I am. Many thanks.

Re: To Dine or to Nibble?

• Options
    How many people are going? Can you change venue?  I'd say differently anywhere else, but it's Vegas....and that's the one place I think that might fly....if your attendees are okay with that.

I'd try to change the venue to do it earlier though.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought it was way too late generally but since its Vegas I think it will fly. We've already put down a non-refundable deposit so I'm not too keen to change venues. 

I was pricing out cold plate and passed hors d'oeuvres and it looks like it will cost the same as the buffett option. I'm thinking it might be just as well to do a buffett and let people eat as much or as little as they would like to. 

I think as long as I tell people ahead of time that there will be plenty of food-but you might want to get a nosh before you come we should be ok with either. BLAGH. I hate wedding planning. :)
  • Options
    We're having our dinner after our Vegas wedding at about 8:30pm. I'm just making sure everyone is aware, and we will have snack available for everyone in our room all day in case anyone needs a quick bite. I wouldn't do it anywhere else, but it's Vegas!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Just go with it, it's Vegas! 
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_to-dine-or-to-nibble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:65edaac1-ffc5-4dbe-8785-a60896731619Post:46da3388-8fab-45ef-afab-562ce1662183">Re: To Dine or to Nibble?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having our dinner after our Vegas wedding at about 8:30pm. I'm just making sure everyone is aware, and we will have snack available for everyone in our room all day in case anyone needs a quick bite. I wouldn't do it anywhere else, but it's Vegas!
    Posted by coopsbaby[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm so happy to hear that from another Vegas wedding planner!! :) Its hard planning so far away. (i'm in Atlanta)</div>
  • Options
    I think because its Vegas it will be fine.  I've never actually eaten at a good place in Vegas where I was seated before 9:30 or 10 because the waits are always so long at restaurants. I agree with your idea about letting people know ahead of time but I would def go ahead with dinner.  Good luck- sounds like a great time!
    Soon to be Mrs. Guidi Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think because its Vegas it will be fine.  I've never actually eaten at a good place in Vegas where I was seated before 9:30 or 10 because the waits are always so long at restaurants. I agree with your idea about letting people know ahead of time but I would def go ahead with dinner.  Good luck- sounds like a great time!
    Soon to be Mrs. Guidi Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would definitely eat before hand if I were coming. I wouldn't want to eat dinner that late.  
  • Options

people will see the start time on the invites and  figure out for themselves if they can wait for that time for dinner.  if they can't they will have something small before. no big deal.

it's not all that late imo. my friends and i generally always eat at 830-9-30 on the weekends anyway. we're not down iwth the early birds at 6pm :)

• Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I don't think it's too late, but make sure that everyone knows that dinner will be served so they don't eat beforehand.
  • Options
    I think most people would probably just eat a late lunch. Most people go to a wedding expecting a dinner unless they are told otherwise.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_to-dine-or-to-nibble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:65edaac1-ffc5-4dbe-8785-a60896731619Post:4b0c5150-4e8e-4ace-a120-83dfe2b0e26f">To Dine or to Nibble?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only reasonable time I could get for our wedding was 8:45 pm starting the reception roughly around 9:30. We are getting married in Vegas and are planning the reception in the same hotel. I had planned on doing a full buffet dinner, cake (or some sort), and an open bar. The wedding planner there seems to think 9:30 is too late for a full dinner. I am really unsure. Do you think everyone will have already eaten dinner by then, and we should go with hors d'oeuvres and snacky trays or go with a full dinner buffet? Sorry. I decided tonight that my friends have had enough crazed phone calls and maybe I should start directing my (Many) thoughts and questions to people that actually are going through the same thing I am. Many thanks.
    Posted by Mandab1230[/QUOTE]

My reception starts @ 9:30 as well asn we are having a full dinner.

Also if people are drinking, snacky foods might not be enough. If I am drinking, I get drunk very easily and I need to eat a good amount of food to avoid that and a hangover.

Full dinner is the way to go IMO. It doesn't need to be fancy but something more than just snacks and finger foods.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards