Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Asking Dad

I want to honor both my parents and have them walk me down the aisle. I know approaching my mom will be no problem she will be thrilled. However, I don't know how my dad will react. My parents have been divorced for many years and when my sister was married over 10 years ago our relationship with him was not good. She had my mom walk her down the aisle and my dad did not approve and it started a huge fight and he ended up not being at the wedding. Our relationship now is "great" compared to what it was before. However,  he has been very distant about my wedding in general and taking notes from my sisters wedding I think it may be that I haven't asked him to walk me down the aisle. I have been avoiding it because I don't know how to handle telling him my mom will be involved. I would like to ask soon, so if there is a problem that maybe it will cool down before the actual wedding and he can at least be there. Advice please!!!  Thanks!

Re: Asking Dad

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in a somewhat similar situation to you in that I wanted both of my parents to walk me down the aisle, as I am equally close to my mom and dad.  I didn't think that there would be anything to it, until I casually mentioned it to my dad and I could tell that he was a little hurt by the fact that he wasn't given the option to walk me down the aisle by himself.  I am his only daughter, and the youngest child, and I think it was definitely a big deal to him.  My compromise to this situation was that I started walking down the aisle with just my dad and then halfway down, my mom joined in and I finished walking with both of them.  I don't know how long your aisle approach is, but I had a pretty long walk, so there was a lot of time for my dad and I to walk by ourselves first.  This solution seemed to work well, in that it allowed for my dad to have that moment (which was very important to me that he didn't feel shortchanged or anything) and it also allowed for me to incorporate my mom, which was very important to me to do as well.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but it was definitely a good compromise that helped in my situation! 

:)Emily
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards