Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Unity candle

Hi,
FI and I want to do the traditional Unity candle, but since we are having and outdoor ceremony I'm worried that they will blow out.  What do you think about using oil lamps?  Do you think they would hold a flame?  Do you think it would look weird?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Unity candle

• I think it would be kind of awkward to try to light oil lamps (especially if it's windy).  I know it's not the traditional way to do things, but have you considered a sand ceremony?  I think they can be just as symbolic and you won't have to worry about the candles getting blown out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PP. The one outdoor ceremony I've attended used a sand ceremony in lieu of a unity candle. I have also heard things about a wine ceremony, though I'm not totally sure what that entails. I'm sure you could find out more info on it probably on TK though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Candles outside might be hard, I agree with pp that a sand ceremony/salt ceremony/hand fasting/ flower giving or something else might work better. If you do want to the candles you might want to check with your venue if they are comfortable with you doing it, depending on when you have your wedding, open flame might be discouraged if you are outside on park land or anywhere with lots of dry grasses. I know here if you start any sort of brush fire in summer, accedental or not, you get to pay big fines! (of course if they blow out right away thats not an issue, but since you are asking for ways to keep them from doing that...I would look into that)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• A friend of mine did the unity candle and her ceremony was outside. They didnt have any problems with it. Perhaps there are specific candles that will stay lit better?
  • Try putting your candle in a tall hurrican glass that way it is protected from the wind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree. I think a sand ceremony is an awesome idea and I plan on having one at my wedding(also an ourdoor wedding). You can incorporate your wedding colors in the sand plus it becomes a beautiful decoration/wedding momento. You can get the cylinders engraved with your names, date, and different designs too!
    Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards