Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Do most couples have an engagement party?

I just got engaged a few days ago, and I am wondering if an engagement party is pretty standard for couples today? Only one of my good friends has gotten married so far, and she didn't have a party. Is this something that people are expecting my fiance and I or my parents to throw?

Re: Do most couples have an engagement party?

• Options
    This is quite dependent upon the circles you run in. Most people I know have engagement parties, but I also have a few friends who have never attended one. It isn't a necessary pre-wedding festivity, and there is no etiquette that states whether you should or should not have one...it's purely personal choice.

You and your FI should not throw yourselves an engagement party (it falls along the same lines as hosting your own shower...a big breech in etiquette.) However, if your parents or your FI's parents would like to host one, that's perfectly fine.

Congrats on your engagement!
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    My parents threw FI and I an engagement party a couple months after we got engaged.  It was a great evening and we only invited family.  As PP said, do not throw your own engagement party.  It's super tacky.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    First of all, congrats!   Second, you don't throw any pre-parties for yourself, only if your family/friends offer.  An e-party is definitely not necessary.
  • Options
    We're not having an engagement party officially.  We're having a get together at a bar for his friends to meet my friends.  But it's what makes sense for us as a couple.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies!
  • Options
    It is up to you...some people have it, while others do not.

I personally did not have an engagement party.
  • Options
    We had one.   We had one from my FI's aunt & uncle in Va...we travel to see them (and their group of 16 friends)...and therefore, they all wanted to have us a party to celebrate.  It was fabulous..  They aren't super common around here, so it was alot of fun!
  • Options
    i don't think it's very common here... i dont really know anyone who had an engagement party.

• Options
    I agree with everyone's advice...We didn't have one, and it worked out because so many of my friends were also getting engaged--that would be a lot of parties! So we agreed to not have the parties, and just do the showers ;)
    newimagesize Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    It's up to the couple! Although I personally did not have one and it is not mandatory, I think it's a nice sentiment :)
  • Options
    We are having an e-party. FI parents and my mom are throwing it, but we have a lot of say of who we wanted to invite, we made invitations, and we are having it catered so we picked the food..they are paying for everything and gave us the date. It's totally up to your family if they want to throw you a party. Congrats!
    *Future Mrs.W* Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    None of my friends had them and neither did we. At least not an official one.  We went to visit his mom and sister (the live 5 minutes apart, we are about 200 miles away) and some relatives who were visiting them.  When lunch was ready his sister announced that we were the guests of honor and said we had to go first.  His mom gave us a small gift and of course there were a million wedding plan questions. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had one, and a lot of our friends have had one and their friends and so on.. as pp mentioned it normally has to do with your social circle. They can be either really common or unheard of.

Congrats on your engagement!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards