Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

We're eloping....kind of....

Hi. I'm new here, so i'm sorry if this is something that has been posted before... 

My fiance and I both come from HUGE families. And we have always wanted a very small and intimate wedding. Our immediate families are relatively small so we decided our only option to keep it small would be to do a wedding on the beach in florida. That way we could still let people know we were getting married and invite them but know that a good portion of them probably wont want to/can't travel for an out of state wedding. I understand that a true elopement would be if it was just the two of us, but I am wondering how we can word our invitations to elude to the fact that we want a small wedding so that they don't feel obligated to come.... wondering if anyone who has done a destination wedding has any suggestions.....

THANKS!

Re: We're eloping....kind of....

• Options
    Just word the invitation like normal.  You shouldn't put anything in the invitation to hint that you are hoping a lot of the people you are inviting stay home.  Don't send an invitation to anyone you wouldn't want to come to the wedding. 

If you want a small wedding it is perfectly fine to keep the guest list small and not invite your extended family.  Or you can send an invitation to everyone.  For a destination wedding you will probably get a smaller turnout than for a local wedding.  But under no circumstances can you send an invitation and then tell people you wouldn't mind if they stayed home.
  • Options
    There isn't a good way to say to people "You're invited to our wedding, but since we want to keep it small, please don't come."  Sorry.

You simply have the small, family only wedding that you both want. And you live with and own that decision.

Ditto CMGr about not sending invitations if you don't REALLY want them to come.

You might find yourself very surprised that Uncle Henry, who never goes anywhere, might just decide that it's a good time for a trip to Florida, and that he'll bring along Auntie Maude, and cousins Mort, Ethel, and Jasper. 

There really isn't such a thing as a "courtesy" invite. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_were-elopingkind-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:d46e229e-504e-4b36-a43d-f717bf55e721Post:d8e9ea83-bdc1-415d-9d41-bec296d67e0e">We're eloping....kind of....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi. I'm new here, so i'm sorry if this is something that has been posted before...  My fiance and I both come from HUGE families. And we have always wanted a very small and intimate wedding. Our immediate families are relatively small so we decided our only option to keep it small would be to do a wedding on the beach in florida. That way we could still let people know we were getting married and invite them but know that a good portion of them probably wont want to/can't travel for an out of state wedding. I understand that a true elopement would be if it was just the two of us, but I am wondering how we can word our invitations to elude to the fact that we want a small wedding so that they don't feel obligated to come.... wondering if anyone who has done a destination wedding has any suggestions..... THANKS!
    Posted by krsomedaykh[/QUOTE]
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Ditto PP's in that you should only send invites to those you truly want present because they may surprise you and show up.

However, no one will be angry (or they shouldn't be) if you only invite immediate family and/or close friends to a DW. That is your prerogative. You can send wedding announcements to other family and friends when you return.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Don't invite people just to make it look like you are trying to include them. Suppose they do make plans to come to your DW... then what?

Only invite the people you actually want there, because you never know, someone may actualy make plans to come and enjoy the time as a vacation as well. If you only want family, then only invite family.

It would be tacky to invite all these people and then  send out a "never mind, family only" note.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    yes, invite only those you want there, and have wedding annoucements printed up that you can drop in teh mail box that morning on yoru way to the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards