Canada-Ontario

Affordable Photographer

Hi Knotties,

FI and I are on a super tight budget and we just started the hunt for our photographer...  *cries in corner*    They are SOOO expensive!

I know we have options: shorter coverage time frame, finding a student photographer through universities/colleges in the area, skipping the honeymoon and putting money into the photographer instead.  We will go there if we have to.  But I just thought I'd enlist the help of my amazing GTA brides to see if my dream photography package could be available at a price we can afford before we move onto other options.

So... here's my dream:
- 8 hours of coverage (2 locations - getting ready and ceremony/reception at the same venue, "park photographs" at the same venue)
- 2 photographers
- A CD with the photos, so that we can print them ourselves
- Someone who has done at least 3 weddings before!
- Ideally an online gallery, but that is not a make it or break it wish

And *drum roll please* we can only afford to pay $1,000

I know you are all probably laughing because I am starting to realize that this is not possible.

However, I figured it was worth a try that maybe someone here is a magician (or an excellent deal researcher) :P

P.S. I'm also keeping my eye on Weddingful and hoping something will pop up!

TIA
~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Affordable Photographer

• try photos by robin, she is in loretto, close to caledon.  her number is 705-435-3442.  my wedding day starts in etobicoke, church in mississauga & reception in oakville and she will be at all these places.  before her i had another photographer and i fired her because she was not doing her job and she was a very big dsappointment, a really great family friend & my wedding planner suggested her.  it was bad enough we spent money on a previous photographer but robin gave us a package with what we really wanted and for a very decent price.  my wedding planner even used her herself.  so robin has been doing wedding pictures for a while & i did to go see some of the portriats even at her studio.  hope this helps!
  • Carlos Cardoso Photography - he is doing our wedding in October in Vaughan and he lives in Milton. He is partnered with a group of photographers including his brother as well.

He is AMAZING! Did our engagement photos at no extra cost. He is super friendly and really listens and takes the time to get to know you and your FI and works within your budget. 

Tell him Sarah & Mobin referred you !!!!!! 
  • Try http://aleahnicolephoto.ca/index2.php Her name is Aleah and shes great!

We are using her for our wedding and she was very affordable. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    I think your big hurdle will be the two photographers; that always costs way more.  You do, after all, have to pay for two people who both have equipment that they've invested in, both have to commit to time, etc....  And $1000?  Not so likely.  I hunted around forever and only one person offered below that for me, on a special package we worked out (5-6 hours coverage)

That said, I'm going to recc my photographer, who is amazing.  Friendly, awesome, thinks outside the box, gave me a great deal to work with my equally small budget...  He's done a ton of travel photos, corporate and concert events and of course weddings.  The big sell for us aside from price is that we told him we were doing an Alice in Wonderland wedding and about some of the decor, and he was excited - he actually said, "If I don't get to shoot this, I will be incredibly jealous of whomever you choose."

Meet Mike from bongopix (tell him Amber and Dan sent you); I emailed and detailed my needs and budget, and got a response the next day.

http://bongopix.com/about/
  • hey, our photographers (we have two) are what I consider really affordable and they are amazing.
    If I were you, i would check out their website and contact them for pricing
    my FI and I paid under $2000 for engagement pics on a disc, 10 hours of wedding day coverage (with two photographers and all on disc) and they're doing a photo booth at our wedding and putting all those pics on a disc
    the best part is, both ladies are soooo nice!
    happy searching!!
    oh their website is http://www.millerellis.com/

• Check out http://www.blackseacreative.com/
    Adrian is great and very accommodating with price. We paid around 1500 but I believe he can work with your budget. He pretty much meets all of your "dreams" except for the second photographer.
    Good luck.

• Other thing I would recommend is to check out Ryerson or George Brown - they have a wedding photography course there and you can get a photographer that if they haven't already started a wedding portfolio, will likely shoot your wedding for a nominal fee or even free to have you in their portfolio.

Also check out frugalbride.com and their boards - they have a vendor specific board there and a number of photographers post their work on it - in fact hendersonsarah's photographer and their photo shoot is listed there.  So you can query them for photo fees.

• A few months ago, there was a post on here about a new photog trying to get into the wedding business and was giving away free wedding or e-shoots. I actually did a free e-shoot w/ her, as did my brother-in-law, and she was great. Her name is Lushana Bale (just google her).  Because she is still building her portfolio, she is quite cheap and fits all of your criteria as above, except the 2 photogs part.

Whatever you go with, best of luck!

• This info is so helpful! thanks for posting!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also booked with Carlos, www.cardosophotography.com He's great!
  • Yes! Carlos Cardoso Photography is awesome - we are in love with our engagement pics and got so many compliments!!! We also got him for an AMAZING price. I won't go into details with the package we got but it was great. He is very accomodating. 

Hope it all works out!!! 
  • Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone!!! 

We were going to go with Carlos Cardoso, but then a co-worker suggested a company called AMV Pros.  We met with them today and they really helped to fit services into our budget.  The most exciting part is that my parents offered to help out and now we not only have a photographer, but a videographer too!!!  It's everything I always dreamed of, but never thought in a million years that we could afford.

Now I have all the BIG things booked: Venue, officiant, caterer, bartenders, DJ and photographer/videographer!    We're checking out some linen rental places over the next few weeks and then I guess I'm taking a break until June when I start the dress search and get those save-the-dates out :D
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've found a few under 2K but 1K is pretty tough. I'm so glad you found something. Weddeals.ca also have some photography deals at any time, but I just want to go with someone we got from a friend's referral, and fit our 2K budget.

We are using Stephanie from Sharp Fluff Photography http://www.sharpfluff.com - she did an amazing job on the engagement photos. I will post wedding photos in August. 1 more month!

• Have you looked at TheRingBearer.ca??? They're pretty good! I have a friend who won their Win-A-Ring Contest --- $7000 ring anyone?!?!?!? 

Anyways, I believe they screen the vendors they promote...found it in their wedding photographers and videographers at a reasonable price. You should check it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards