Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Can anyone help with a "DIY" cruise wedding?

Okay, so my lovely fiance and I have decided to get hitched on a transatlantic Disney Cruise. Its just going to be us and my parents and a couple friends. Disney wants a minimum of $3k to marry us, but I'm thinking of "cheating the system" and just doing our own thing on board. We are getting legally married before we leave (I work for an airline and I want him to be able to use my benefits), so thats not an issue. I am just planning on having a ring/vow ceremony, cake and champagne, and looking awesome in a dress. My father is a clergyman, so he is pro at officiating. But the more I try to wrap my head around actually planning this (silk flowers so they last, favors, music, hair and makeup, etc...), the more stressed and confused I get. Does anyone have any experience with a cruise wedding? Its technically destination, but I can't find any info about planning or tips or anything anywhere.

Re: Can anyone help with a "DIY" cruise wedding?

• Options
    Congratulations and welcome!  We did have a couple of cruise brides but they were carnival cruise not disney.  I am going to be a downer...I am not sure how you can pull off doing your own thing on board if you want the symbolic ceremony performed, cake and champagne I am pretty sure you will have to go through the cruise line to do it.  For example, the resort I am getting married at is very strict in that they don't allow outside vendors and I have been trying to find ways to "sneak" in at least a professional photographer since they don't provide portfolios for the photogs they provide and it's going to be a no go.  I am told that they will literally stop a photographer from shooting the wedding UNLESS that photographer is booked for a minimum of 3 nights at the resort.  this is something I cannot afford/didn't budget for.  I mean this is all word of mouth, but I don't want to chance anything I haven't yet seen for myself, you know?

I don't see how you will be able to sneak off to a part of the ship and have your father perform the ceremony and set up the cake/champage w/o a cruise employee seeing and possibly stepping in to stop it. Unless they allow you to sort of "reserve" an area for a private party. Do they?

Pehaps our cruise brides can pop in and shed some light on this!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    yarniclesyarnicles member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We can actually order a special occasion cake and champagne through the cruise line in advance (usually meant for anniversaries and birthdays) and we aren't bringing any pro photographers. My parents go on 2-3 Disney cruises every year and, while they have never seen a wedding like this, there are plenty of "improv events" (birthday parties, familiy reunions, etc...) that go on around the ship. I think that we can pull it off, since there won't be very many of us (7 total, including us) Nothing big is going to happen, just rings, vows, dance, cake, drinking. 

*crossing fingers* hopefully someone can give me input on this. It is the one thing my groom wants (vows on the open ocean) and I'll be crushed if it they stop us on the ship.
  • Options
    Ahhh I see...then it seems more likely that you may be able to pull it off :-)

I hope it works out for you too!!  That would be amazing!!  I hope you stick around and let us know how it goes!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards