Connecticut
Options

Are 2 photographers necessary?

Hi!

We just changed our wedding date and with that have to find a new photographer since our original one is not available on our new date.

We found another one that I like, but he prefers to shoot alone. Is 1 photographer enough or should I still ask him to get a 2nd one? I don't want to offend him by asking for the 2nd person. He assures me he alone will be sufficient. 

Thanks!

Re: Are 2 photographers necessary?

• Options
    We had two photographers and I think together they were able to capture so many more moments. For example, one stayed with me while I was getting ready while the other spent time with the guys. One photographer took pictures of our desert table, while the other was taking pictures of guests dancing.

I would look over the photographers work and read reviews so you have a good idea what to expect!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2012
    I agree with PP about 2 people being able to get more moments.  We are having 2 shooters and they were explaining how during the ceremony one of them could be getting a pic of us at the "you may kiss the bride moment" while the other can capture the guests faces during that moment.
  • Options
    We are also having 2 shooters.  Some weddings I've been to even have 3!
  • Options
    I agree with PP about 2 shooters. Initally, we were just going to go with one, but then after thinking about it we decided on two because we really wanted shots of both of us getting ready. We also liked the idea of 2 shooters at the ceremony because you can get different angles - while one is shooting close ups of the bride and groom the other can get guest shots/ or shots from a different perspective. 

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    Our photographer offered us a discount to only use him, he usually comes with a second photographer. We asked him if there would be a significant reduction in the number of photos if we only used one, and he said that of the final shots, he probably shoots 75% to the second photographer's 25%. He also told us that the second shooter makes it a lot easier for him to make sure everything we want is captured (such as both of us getting ready, or cocktail hour before we get there.) So we ended up going with the two.

But, I would say that the benefit of the second shooter depends greatly on the timing and format of your wedding day. I'd ask him how we does things that would usually require a second photographer to get an idea how he'd cover.
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wanted a second shooter, but we couldn't afford it. I'm happy with the pictures we got! We didn't actually need a second shooter- it might have been nice, but unnecessary. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_are-2-photographers-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:58194d26-cce7-4220-bffa-3ad15e428a63Post:c58f847f-0672-4980-bd51-aeb6fdcb1639">Re: Are 2 photographers necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wanted a second shooter, but we couldn't afford it. I'm happy with the pictures we got! We didn't actually need a second shooter- it might have been nice, but unnecessary. 
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

<div>That's really good to know. Thank you!</div><div>
    </div><div>Was your photographer able to capture both of you getting ready beforehand? This is something that I really don't want to miss!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_are-2-photographers-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:58194d26-cce7-4220-bffa-3ad15e428a63Post:e464bdc6-1e2e-4d36-b503-e16e0fbc087c">Re: Are 2 photographers necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are 2 photographers necessary? : That's really good to know. Thank you! Was your photographer able to capture both of you getting ready beforehand? This is something that I really don't want to miss!
    Posted by s_hazeleyes[/QUOTE]

<div>Yup! We were both getting ready in the same hotel, just different rooms. So the photographer took some pictures of us girls, then went down to the guy's room and took pictures of them. He went back and forth a few times. </div><div>
    </div><div>We did NOT get pictures of my H getting dressed in his tux- but my H says he got dressed in the bathroom, which is why the photog missed it. So just make sure you tell your FI to wait for the photographer to be there, or to do some fake shots of putting his suit jacket on. =)</div>
  • Options
    I think you should get a second photographer if you can affort it.  you can have one taking pictures of you getting ready and the other photographer taking pictures of your fiance.
  • Options
    We had 2 (who we LOVED btw) and got SO many different views based on the way they shot (styles etc.)! I would def go with 2 if you can afford it!!

GL!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I like the idea of 2.  They can capture more and things that you won't see.  I would want to keep the photographer you have happy though.  
    counting down to the big day
  • Options
    I haven't seen our sneak peaks yet, but we had 2 and I wouldn't have had it any other way
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_are-2-photographers-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:58194d26-cce7-4220-bffa-3ad15e428a63Post:01983790-8790-4502-8f83-e50f3fcd6660">Re: Are 2 photographers necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of 2.  They can capture more and things that you won't see.  I would want to keep the photographer you have happy though.  
    Posted by missmarry2013[/QUOTE]

<div>Uh! I also like the idea of 2, but this photographer really prefers to shoot alone but is willing to provide a 2nd one if I want one. Since it's not his preference to have a 2nd, I'm not sure if I should ask! </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_are-2-photographers-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:58194d26-cce7-4220-bffa-3ad15e428a63Post:8a997a5e-f662-4459-8382-19f18f726aaf">Re: Are 2 photographers necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are 2 photographers necessary? : Yup! We were both getting ready in the same hotel, just different rooms. So the photographer took some pictures of us girls, then went down to the guy's room and took pictures of them. He went back and forth a few times.  We did NOT get pictures of my H getting dressed in his tux- but my H says he got dressed in the bathroom, which is why the photog missed it. So just make sure you tell your FI to wait for the photographer to be there, or to do some fake shots of putting his suit jacket on. =)

<div>Good tips! Thanks so much!!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_are-2-photographers-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:58194d26-cce7-4220-bffa-3ad15e428a63Post:8a997a5e-f662-4459-8382-19f18f726aaf">Re: Are 2 photographers necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are 2 photographers necessary? : Yup! We were both getting ready in the same hotel, just different rooms. So the photographer took some pictures of us girls, then went down to the guy's room and took pictures of them. He went back and forth a few times.  We did NOT get pictures of my H getting dressed in his tux- but my H says he got dressed in the bathroom, which is why the photog missed it. So just make sure you tell your FI to wait for the photographer to be there, or to do some fake shots of putting his suit jacket on. =)

<div>Good tips! Thanks so much!!</div>
  • Options

sweetheart it's YOUR wedding, not his.  It shouldn't matter if that's what HE prefers is what YOU prefer.. if he isn't willing to go out of his way to accomidate you on a simple thing like having a second shooter, maybe consider how he will be on the day of the wedding.  Maybe you want to take a shot that he doesn't like, are you gonna feel weird asking him for that??  You absolutely should feel 100% comfortable asking your photographer to do whatever YOU want on your big day.  And if he isn't willing to accomidate you then you should totally find one that will!! Hope you big day is as beautiful and wonderful as your dreams!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards