California-Bay Area
Options

Marriage Licenses

How are you going about getting your marriage licenses? Are you going to the clerk office? What is the time frame to get it? Isn't it a few months? Thank you

Re: Marriage Licenses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're getting married within CA, the license is good for 90 days from your app.
    In Contra Costa county the license fee is $85, don't know what it costs in other counties, you would have to look that up.
    ~~~Lynsey~~~
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good question... my FI and I are debating if we should get ours two days before the wedding (yeah, cutting it close).  We both live on the East Coast, and it's a hassle coming out 90 days before the wedding.  My FI is in grad school, so he has to arrive at the last minute.
  • Options
    elishabelleelishabelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GJ- We applied online for the app and then are going in to sign once we are in town. Although, we're getting married in Sonoma County. Best of luck!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    From what I've read on-line, you both have to go to the clerks office on a week day with at least 2 forms of id.  I think Marin is a little cheaper than either SF or Contra Costa, not sure about Alameda.

Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just went today to the San Francisco County Clerk's office... it took 10 minutes.  You have to make an appointment and pay before you go, but the form is available online so you can fill it out before you get there.  It cost $100 ($95 for the license, $5 as a "convenience" fee [I'm not sure what was convenient about it]). There's no minimum amount of time before the actual wedding in California, so two days should be fine.  Our officiant recommended that we go to Marin Co. instead of San Francisco because they are faster in processing things, but it wasn't feasible for us to get out of the city during business hours on a weekday. 
    Final Siggy Challenge: Favorite photo with FI
    At the Apple Orchard
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we got ours in santa cruz- took about 10 mins and one form of ID. (i was a bit alarmed at how easy it was.) we paid $75 for the license and $14 each for certified copies after. the signed license was mailed the monday after the wedding and processed within 3 days of the wedding. HTH
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips!  So it is really possible to get a marriage license in Marin but get married in San Francisco?  I may do that if it's easier. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it shouldn't matter which county you get the license is as long as it's valid for getting married within the State of CA.
    ~~~Lynsey~~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ditto MrsJG2Be.

but i do believe that you have to return the signed license to the county where you got it from for processing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Santa Clara County was $79 or more for a private license.  We went a month before.  No appointments taken so we just took a number.  It took about 45 minutes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I live in SoCal but are getting married up in the Bay Area.  We researched to find the cheapest county between LA and the BA.  Fresno was the cheapest at $49.  You don't have to drop the license off after your married, your officiant mails it back to them.  They also give you info on how to request a copy of your license after it's processed without having to go there in person. 

If you have a reason for the drive, stop in Fresno for your license.  No appointment needed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards