African American Weddings
Options

Standing when the bride enters...

Did you have your guests stand? Why or why not?

I personally don't want folks to stand when I walk in because they may block my view of my husband to be. What say you?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!

Re: Standing when the bride enters...

• Options
    I want my guests to stand.  My FI will be on stairs so I'll be able to see him. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker When you are in love you cant fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~ Dr Seuss
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Tasha, I've always said it and I will say it again you are hilarious, you say exactly what I think and make perfect sense. However, it is required in my church so I don't have a choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just saying... I'm not the Queen of England and I don't want to be smiling and looking in folks' faces when I'm coming down the aisle. LOL

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • Options
    They stood when I came out.

It was a detail I didn't really care about one way or the other and no one told them to stand they just did.

H could see me just fine since no one is in the aisle but you and whoever is giving you away.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_standing-bride-enters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:0436d712-ae93-4c94-a1bf-d40d5095d69fPost:466d1e7c-3cb1-46b0-9342-34446ac17aeb">Re: Standing when the bride enters...</a>:
    [QUOTE]They stood when I came out. It was a detail I didn't really care about one way or the other and no one told them to stand they just did. H could see me just fine since no one is in the aisle but you and whoever is giving you away.
    Posted by wallacje[/QUOTE]

Agree.

When I watch four weddings and I see the guests not stand it seems strange to me. If you don't have stairs make sure your FH is standing at the end of the walkway instead of on the side.  You should be able to see him just fine.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    I didn't care about it either, but I think it heightens that moment even more when all the guests stand as you walk in. Like PP said, no one should be in the aisle as you're walking down so you should be able to see your FI clearly. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've been to a wedding where the guest started clapping. I was mortified.  I want to put "you are not allowed to clap when the bride enters" in my program, so there is no confusion on what's appropriate. lol
  • Options
    as long as it is taking me to get married yup they are standing lol 
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_standing-bride-enters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:0436d712-ae93-4c94-a1bf-d40d5095d69fPost:df10080e-9e94-43e5-a165-bcdb3edce46c">Re: Standing when the bride enters...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to a wedding where the guest started clapping. I was mortified.  I want to put "you are not allowed to clap when the bride enters" in my program, so there is no confusion on what's appropriate. lol
    Posted by ymw6110[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>LOL thas hilar... this post has me thinking though... maybe its according to the venue as i n if its not in a church... but then again if his view is unobstructed, stand or dont stand it dont matter... </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Follow Me on Pinterest BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would like my guests to stand, I am not an all eyes on me time of person but it seems like a nice gesture after all of our hard work!  Also, most people like to take pictures/video,etc and standing gives a better view anyway...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_standing-bride-enters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:0436d712-ae93-4c94-a1bf-d40d5095d69fPost:df10080e-9e94-43e5-a165-bcdb3edce46c">Re: Standing when the bride enters...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to a wedding where the guest started clapping. I was mortified.  I want to put "you are not allowed to clap when the bride enters" in my program, so there is no confusion on what's appropriate. lol
    Posted by ymw6110[/QUOTE]

This literally had me LOL! I pictured the slow movie clap where it starts with one person and everyone joins in until they are all applauding.

My FI is kind of a shortie so ya'll had me nervous about everyone stadning but it makes sense like PP said to have him stand in the aisle not on the side. Sounds good!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Hmm. I hope they stand. I like traditions like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I want my guests to stand no clapping though lol not until the end

• Options
    lol This makes me think of my silly aunt who refused to walk the aisle until the guest stood.lol  However, I never thought about it blocking the grooms view. I was iffy about them standing and blocking people who could not(possibly elderly) stand view. Hmmm, I need to rethink where my groom is standing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer for my guests to stand, but I would be pissed if guests clapped...lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    133 Invited image 92 Are ready to celebrate! image 24 Are missing out image 17 Can't find the mailbox. image
  • Options

Guests stood. Its tradition for guests to rise when the bride enters.

I went to a wedding a few months back and no one stood but myself and a few others. I was so pissed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_standing-bride-enters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:0436d712-ae93-4c94-a1bf-d40d5095d69fPost:5544cdad-8997-4ac2-bbc0-56134eba37bb">Re: Standing when the bride enters...</a>:
    [QUOTE]as long as it is taking me to get married yup they are standing lol 
    Posted by thedivav[/QUOTE]

LOL...I know that's right...lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    i want everyone to stand im a sucker for tradition but if somebody started clapping id be mad as sin....id have to call a time out at my wedding
    image 99 Made the cut image 76 Are ready to party!
    image 23 Will be missing out YAYAYAY image 0 Need to find the mailbox because if they didn't already they no longer can come The RSVP deadline has passed this is the final count Wedding Countdown Ticker image CLick and check out My blog From Ms. To Mrs.
  • Options
    It is the brides moment. When those church doors open and all eyes are on you. Take pride in your moment and let them stand and admire your presence. You deserve it. You and your groom will only be seeing each other no matter what.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Meh, I hadn't thought about it until this question, but I prefer them not to stand. What on earth for? Most people do want to see the bride and I think you get a better view sitting. I stand for brides but I'm always twisting and turning and once she's passed me the moment is over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker www.derilandtekoah.com
  • Options
    I want my guests to stand. There will be announcement for them to remain seated until I reach their row and then they should stand. I love the drama
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards