Delaware
Options

Barns in Delaware

Does anyone know of any barns in Delaware (preferably lower DE) that can be rented for wedding receptions?  I've seen some awesome weddings on blogs done in barns.  I love the rustic feel.

I saw the Figure 8 Barn at Bellvue Park - has anyone been there or the Hunter's Barn before?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Re: Barns in Delaware

• Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not in DE but have you tried the barn at Fair Hill?  Also, try Blue Bell Barn
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also The Stone Barn in Kennett Square is an actual refurbished barn that is a restaurant and does tons of wedding.
  • Options
    EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I visited the Stone Barn as a potential venue and they have 2 ceremony/reception locations on the property...the outdoor ceremony spots are absolutely beautiful and there are a tons of spots for photos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    RE: Stone Barn

Not to mention the food being the best food I have ever had at a wedding, hands down...and that includes my own. 

They do a Sunday Brunch every week, I highly recommend checking them out and trying the food.  You won't regret it, at least, your stomach won't.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second the Stone Barn. And if you're not a big sunday morning brunch person, they just started doing Friday night dinners. Their food is awesome! They were our first choice, but out of our budget, unfortunately.

The barn at Fair Hill is really nice too! I pass it at least twice a day, and there was just a wedding there this past weekend. It looked beautiful!
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you know who I could contact about the barn in Fair Hill?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just emailed the guy John Thomborde (spl?) from Stone Barn last night and he replied back this morning. I think the place looks amazing and the food seems nice but they don't really give you many food options, you have to bring in your own alcohol (which could save you money I think..)plus from what I was reading in the info he sent me, they are kinda picky with what decorations you can have BUT that being said, Im still going to make an appointment to check it out. The pricing isn't bad either, a lot less then what I expected and you get a discount depending on what day you have your ceremony. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DNREC for MD
  • Options
    kiwigreen11kiwigreen11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi I heard about fair hill here.  Has anyone actually been to visit the tea barn or been to a wedding there?  I called the main line and talk to one of the ladies there.  the rental fee is the lowest i've heard -- but apparently the building doesn't have AC or heat!  i'm just wondering what your impressions of it were -- it's impossible to find any information on weddings there at all!  Any feedback would be much appreciated!  
    Thank you!
    Shelly
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Mill at the Stone Barn is a beautiful rustic venue for a wedding, if you don't mind paying $13,000.00 for meals that are overcooked, small portions, with absolutely no culinary presentation and that are second-rate at best.

I don't know what's going on at the Stone Barn - what we were presented with at the tasting was a far cry from what we actually got and reminds me of the old "Bait-and-Switch" game. This was a total disappointment because I've eaten at the Stone Barn before and loved their food! We paid nearly $6000 for 85 people to get filets - my son-in-law held his up to me during dinner and said "filet or hockey puck?", my husband's was charred and had the flavor of grilled cardboard he said.

To sum up our food experience at the Stone Barn -

1. The salad was supposed to be the Baby Spinach Salad (described in the menu as having candied pecans, gorgonzola, port-poached pears) and the chef agreed to add dried cranberries per our request. The salad we were served at the tasting had a beautiful presentation - a small "nest" of spinach leaves, with all of the listed ingredients. What we were served at the reception was a skimpy handful of spinach leaves from a plastic bag thrown on a plate with 2 pear slices, maybe a candied pecan and/or cranberry if you were lucky, little or no gorgonzola and some vinaigrette dressing - there was no presentation, the portion ridiculously small and nothing like what we had at the tasting. It was cheap, sloppy and not what we paid for. At the tasting we repeatedly asked Chef Ray if our salads at the reception would look like what we had at the tasting and we were repeatedly assured that they would.

2. The filets were pretty much all overdone, most of them charred on the outside. The only consistency in "doneness" was overdone - my husband's first filet was black on the outside, overcooked and tasteless, I returned it to the kitchen and when they provided another filet - it was still overdone and tasteless. I went around to all of the tables and with a few exceptions, the filets were overcooked and many of them burnt. This is totally unacceptable and a total embarrassment to my husband and I for our guests.

3. All of the meals had substandard presentation - a glop of mashed potatoes, an extremely skimpy portion of green beans - a five year old could have done better. During the meal, I spoke to both Alex and Chef Ray in the kitchen, who both apologized and acknowledged that the filet meals were overcooked and even burnt.

I was mortified that all of our guests were served cheap cafeteria salads, that 85 of our guests were served filets that were second-rate in terms of how they were prepared and presented, and that all of the entree plates were sloppy and with poor presentation - certainly not what you would expect from the Stone Barn who advertises and assures prospective customers that they will receive first class food and services.

Brides-to-be, and parents please heed this warning - if you do have your wedding at the Stone Barn, I would not pay the final check until after your reception - you may end up in our shoes - ripped off and embarrassed!
  • Options
    We are in the begining stages of planning the wedding. Our daughter very much wants a country wedding, barn and all. Can anyone give us sugestions on were if any place there may be in Delaware? we would consider traveling to nearby state but within limints to distance and travel time. Any help would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards