Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

invitation addressing question!?

so...i dont think im a big fan of the whole "mr. and mrs smith" way to address outer envelopes. it seem so archaic to not include the womans name or to assume that the man and woman even have the same last night. any suggestions on alternatives? what about just using people's first and last names with their title? or just using full names? any suggestions would be great. the married couples is really where im having issues-do i do mr anthony smith and mrs mary smith? thanks!

Re: invitation addressing question!?

• Options
    Yes, you can do Mr. Anthony Smith & Mrs. Mary Smith

I'm not a fan of Mr. & Mrs. John Smith type addressing either.

Here's TK's guide: http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-invitations/articles/addressing-wedding-invitations.aspx

I'm sure the other ladies will be able to give you more detailed than advice than I have.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    I believe if it's not "Mr. and Mrs." then it's ladies first: Mrs. Mary Smith and Mr. Anthony Smith.  That's how we did ours.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    maggyruthmaggyruth member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    If you're going to go that route, if they have the same last name, you can do Mrs. Mary & Mr. Anthony Smith.  You'd want to have the man listed second so that his name is attached to his surname.

I personally did Mr. & Mrs. Anthony & Mary Smith.  Some people might not like that, though...it's a lot of ampersands. 
  • Options
    I just did "Mary and Tom Smith," no Mr./Mrs. I didn't have inner envelopes either.

Probably a violation of some kind of etiquette rule, but I didn't care about it and neither did my guests.
  • Options
    These are for the invitations right?  What we're doing for ours (and what I also did for my friend's wedding invitations) is using our intial names.  So instead of being addressed to "Mr. & Mrs. John Doe," it's "Jane Dear & John Doe" or whichever order you want to use.  I figure we're not married yet and it has both of our names on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards