Missouri-Kansas City

Wedding Venues

My wedding will be celebrated in both my hometown (OP) and in my fiancee's (elche, spain). It is a little bit crazy planning two celebrations, especially since neither of us currently resides in our hometowns, so I need your help! In KC I have it narrowed down to 11 venues (I know, narrowed down maybe isn't the right word!) and I need your help. I don't have a perfect vision of what I want yet, so any opinions about the following venues for a reception only would be gladly welcomed. (in no particular order)

1. Uptown Theatre
2. The Terrace on Grand
3. Ritz Charles
4. Overland Park Convention Center
5. Californos
6. Westin Crown Center
7. The Central Exchange
8. Sterling Hall
9. Piropos
10. Painted Hills Golf Course
11. Overland Park Marriott

Thanks in advance!

Re: Wedding Venues

• prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Uptown is BEAUTIFUL and a really neat, unique venue.

I haven't seen The Terrace, Ritz Charles, Westin, Central Exchange, Sterling Hall, or Piropos.

Californios I liked, but it was kind of small and disjointed. Depending on how big your celebration is it can be nice though. Also, keep in mind that they are open for dinner service on Friday and Saturday, so it kind of made me a little aprehensive about having an event there on those nights. The event space is separate from the main dining area, but the dining area kind of overlooks the event space as well, if that makes sense. Food is really good!

OP Marriott... eh... I'm not a hotel reception fan because I think they are always so bland and cookie cutter. I may be biased since I worked at a Marriott and have seen many cookie cutter weddings at different hotels. I pretty much feel the same way about the OP Convention Center.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    awesome, thanks so much for the feedback. I didn't know that about Californos...We're looking at around 130 people and I know Californos makes you pay for 150 adults, whether you have 150 or not. Parking there is also kind of a nightmare unless you pay for valet.

I am not a big fan of the convention center/hotel scene either, but if the price is right it might be convenient for OOT guests (many from Spain who won't rent vehicles). I guess the OPCC has an inclusive package for $42/pp which seems pretty good, but all things considered your options for meals are chicken or chicken. ho-hum.

I'm really interested in the Terrace on Grand, but I don't have a catering estimate from them, so no real ball park figure to go on...

• edited December 2011

We considered 11 venues also!

Have you looked at The Villa?  Website:  www.thevillakc.com

Other thoughts:  Terrace on Grand...cool spot, awkward entrance/access

Ritz Charles...kind of boring suburbia...same with OPCC and OP Marriott, but the proximity of a hotel for your OOT guests would be a big plus
    Westin Crown Center...great location, they would KNOW they are in Kansas City
    We had the same concerns with Californos as PP

Didn't know Piropos did receptions

No familarity with Sterling or Central Exchange

HTH!

• prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_wedding-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:486cc4f3-9866-4956-91de-13bda1fa6484Post:5626a871-0493-4067-a643-ce70bb93da87">Re: Wedding Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]awesome, thanks so much for the feedback. I didn't know that about Californos...We're looking at around 130 people and I know Californos makes you pay for 150 adults, whether you have 150 or not.
    Posted by luciernaga1[/QUOTE]

We were looking for a place with 125 guests, and they wanted to split them between two rooms. Just fyi, because that means that would be the situation with your guests, too. And yeah, they were going to hold us to the 150 even though our wedding is on a Sunday. :(

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know much about any of those sites, but I voted for the Uptown Theatre because I have heard good things about it and, as PP said, it's a neat location.

Congratulations - happy planing! :-)

• edited December 2011
    I liked the Uptown as well.  I also second the vote for taking a look at the Villa.  We're having our reception there, and their prices are pretty reasonable.  They're also within walking distance of several hotels if your OOT guests aren't planning to rent a car.
  • edited December 2011
    great tips ladies, I'll check out The Villa. Thanks so much again :)
  • edited December 2011

I also looked at the Villa and loved it but we have to many guests for what they hold.  They are also very afforadable (for all inclusive) at least when we met with them they were.

• edited December 2011
    i like the idea of uptown or piropos.  Piropos has such a pretty view!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards