Retro and Vintage Weddings

Etsy.com wedding dress?

Hey ladies,
I would love to buy a 50s style knee/tea length wedding dress.  I haven't found ANY that I like in stores, and have been won over by a few on etsy.com or other websites.

My worry:  can I really spend hundreds of dollars on a dress that I can't see or feel or try on until it is done?  Have any of you bought your wedding dress over the internet?

Right now I am looking at 

I also LOVE this dress, but not the price tag

Any advice on buying/having a dress made online would be VERY MUCH appreciated!
TIA,
diana

Re: Etsy.com wedding dress?

• Def check out reviews for the etsy sellers, they tell alot.  I love that first etsy dress!  It's amazing!  The others are great too!  Find out what the material is and go to a local fabric store and check out the material or find other dresses made of the same material.  Or....find a local dress maker and bring pics/designs to her and have one made!
  • edited August 2010

Just be careful!  I ordered my bridesmaid dresses of Etsy and the seller had amazing reviews she had 100% positive and the dresses came in and instead of black and red they were charcoal and orange with bright red straps and a band on the bottom of the dress. They looked like they have been washed 15-20 times and are totally faded.  Buying stuff sight unseen is really risky especially for your dress.  I just don't want you to be as dissapointed as I was!!  Good luck on your decision.

• I love the first dress. I think buying your dress on Etsy is just fine. If I were you, I would get my measurements taken and give that to the seller to make sure it will fit. You can also look at other sellers who will make a custom gown for very cheap. My mom wants to buy my going away outfit and I'm thinking about going with a custom $75 1940s style dress suit - you pick the color, fabric, and she makes it in a few weeks with your measurements.
    Anniversary
  • Whoa- where are you getting a $75 custom suit?  That sounds AMAZING.

I think I am erring more towards Dolly Couture-- they have a good return policy, great reviews, and when I joined their facebook.com page I loved the photos of real brides!

Thanks for all the advice!
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    My goodness!  The Unique Vintage dress is absolutely stunning!  I really like it, but agree the price tag creates an "ouch" factor.  BUT ... I love it.  I've been looking for inspiration and I think you've found it for me.  Thank you!

I am frightened, seriously frightened to order my dress from any online resource (unless there is a brick and mortar store that would take a return).  Most people have no problem, some have horrible problems.  I just don't think I could deal with the stress.  Caveat: I am the type of person who always considers the worst case scenario.

Oops, back to you ... (sorry! got carried away!).  If you feel comfortable with the level of research (googled for reviews? emailed previous customers?) you've undertaken, then I say "Go for it!"
  • I got a note that the Unique Vintage dress has a SHOP in NYC.  So I have an appointment there next week to try on dresses and perhaps order my own!  They offer their dresses in a variety of fabrics, so that the prices start around $600!  That's not so bad!

I LOVE their stuff! And I love that I can try it on before ordering- sort of like getting the best of both worlds!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_etsycom-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:667Discussion:17fe57a0-f888-4400-aaa8-e76cc2fa47c6Post:a81ffd45-28c0-41b1-8918-39d2d375ccda">Re: Etsy.com wedding dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got a note that the Unique Vintage dress has a SHOP in NYC.  Posted by inloveinbk[/QUOTE]

EXCELLENT NEWS!  Please post an update once you've been to the salon.  I  keep trying not to go to NYC to shop for a dress, but I don't think its possible.  Ugh. I like these designs (Nato Brothers) and also Stephanie James Couture. 

I look forward to hearing about your appointment.  Have a great time!
  • I got my dress online, however not form Etsy.com & I don't know if I got lucky or what but it fits like a glove.
    I absolutely love the first and second dress you posted. Best of luck!
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe
  • Be careful about the reviews on etsy.  I bought jewlery from someone on there once and wrote a glowing review when I received the ring (it was beautiful).  Well, within a few days of wearing the varnish on the ring had come off.  I was able to get a refund from the seller but I wanted to change my review. Turns out, once you write the review you can't change it. 

So for wedding dresses someone may have written a good review when they got the dress, and then it fell apart 2 days later but they couldn't update the review. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i am probably getting my dress made by this lady, she has a lot of sales and positive feedback:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/MandyH8800?ga_search_query=mandy&ga_search_type=seller_usernames

i liked her because she does so many vintage style dresses. i found a different Vintage Vogue pattern that i loved and she said she could do it, and i really cannot beat the price. here's my pattern:
    http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v2903-products-4894.php?page_id=850

good luck!!
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards