Latino Weddings

When Did "White" Become a Nationality?

I see a lot of posts regarding couples self-described as "white" and "Mexican." 

When did "white" become synonymous with American and since when are all Mexicans not white?   Wouldn't it be more accurate to describe these "mixed" couples as American and Mexican?

Not all Americans are white, and not all Mexicans are darker skinned...  Where I live in Mexico (the north) there are tons of white Mexicans.  My Mexican husband, for example, is not dark-skinned and we have plenty of Mexican friends and family here who are blonde and blue-eyed.

Anyway, I'm just curious of others' thoughts on the subject.

Re: When Did "White" Become a Nationality?

• edited December 2011
    I try not to say "white" for the same reason--FI's skin tone is about the same as mine.  But it's sometimes hard to avoid and don't get me started on why "American" is incorrect--although most Mexicans I know wouldn't be offended, I have plenty of friends in other parts of Latin America that would be.

One challenge is something that as you point out: there are plenty of non-white people in the U.S., including lots of people of Mexican descent.  However, there is a world of difference between Mexicans and Mexican-Americans--especially when it comes to weddings.  A lot of what I read on here are customs and traditions that may have been abandoned in Mexico (at least in our social circle which spans several geographic areas), although they are apparently still popular among Mexican Americans.

White is imperfect but the fact is that there are differences in the way that "white" people celebrate weddings versus Mexican-Americans versus Mexicans.  So while imperfect, it is a distinction that I think everyone understands and is difficult to avoid.  It's not meant to be offensive. 
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No offense taken ;)  But I do find it odd...  Especially coming from those who are marrying interculturally - I'd expect them to understand the subtlies more than a regular "all American couple."

I agree with the Mexican versus Mexican-American wedding traditions as well.  In our circle, which is 100% Mexican, I never see the dollar dance, etc.  Nor did I know it was expected that your guests would "help themselves" to your centerpieces until I came on here ;)

As to the American as a nationality issue, until they come up with a more specific word - like United Statizen - I guess we're stuck ;)
  • preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have a point...

Although, I have to admit that it's a bit more cumbersome to say: I am a Caucasian, non-Hispanic, citizen of the United States and my FI is a mestizo Peruvian...

I think most of the time, it's just easier, and most of us figure out what they mean, exactly.  It probably also depends on the racial/ethnic mix in question.  (You may be less likely to hear that particular description when both partners are "white".)  Part of it is that these descriptions are complex and are rarely described in a succinct or even adequate fashion.  (Hence the latest US census.)  Rarely do I see an option that would reflect my FI's mestizo make-up.  To say he's an American Indian isn't quite satisfactory, because it doesn't differentiate him from the Plains Indians, for example, nor does it acknowledge that he is actually a blend of Indiginous Peruvians and Spanish...  What do you do?  There are African-Peruvians, Japanese-Peruvians, and Amerindian Peruvians, but most of the time, I just describe him as "Peruvian."  (And the image most people get is mestizo, probably.)  As for myself...  I don't know.  Depends on context...  I might mention my ethnic background, my racial type, or just my national origin.  It depends on the circumstance... 
  • edited December 2011
    Well American, could also include Mexicans in a literal sense as Mexico, the US and Canada make up North America.  But, I use White for myself in reference to my fiance because I am such a mix of European lineage, that I would rather not say that I am Irish, German, English with a bit of Spanish.  I simply say White.  And further more, my family has only been in the United States for two generations and my fiance's family has been in the United States for one generation.  So, since I am referring to his country of origin, I would refer to my family's country of origin but it is four countries and I wasn't born in any of them and I am not a Native American Indian, so I typically just say white.

I do not assume that all Mexican's are brown. I don't say I am white and my fiance is tan.  Although, that would be correct.  I do not assume all United States citizens are white, but I am.  So, that is why I say, I am white and my fiance is Mexican.  But, I don't begin to tell anyone else what they should say or how they should identify themselves.
  • edited December 2011
    I would also note that in the United States of America there has been a black-white divide as long as there has been a country here.  And further more the European immigrants have been called white people since the Native American Indians first had contact with them as they invaded the country and proceeded to kill the native people here.  So, when you are talking to a citizen of the United Staets of America, or about someone that has been in the United States for any length of time, you will hear people referred to as color. I am not supporting this or saying this is correct, but it is the way the United States functions now and always has. 
  • anitamaria12anitamaria12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I nevered even described us as mixed. LOL We are both American.  I guess it just depends on what people ask of us.  People ask if we are American I say yes and leave it at that.  If they ask our ethnicity, thats a different story. I'm of Mexican decent and he is of African decent. But both American :0) Beige and Brown!!! LOL
  • edited December 2011

I don't think white, red, brown is appropriate anywhere. People are just people. I don't even consider myself a mix even though people are always surprised to find out I'm German/Mexican. It's just how society has been and it's up to new parents to change that. My grandfather taught my father not to think that way, and my father has taught me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father's family has been in America so long that his family doesn't know what ethnicity they are - they assume they are English or Irish because of their last name, but don't know for sure and have no connection to the culture.  I think it's like that for many people - which is why many people just say "white" in reference to their ethnicity, I guess out of ease.  Something to think about though!
  • sgarcia88sgarcia88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When they say white they do not literally mean color. My family is from Jalisco and we have green eyes and blonde hair but are not white. White more so means American/ no definite place or origin.

Again, not literally color, that would be waay to racist.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is Mexican/Comanche indian but he was born in the US and served in the US Navy. He is darker than me, but apparently not as dark as other people think he should be. It is awkward when people assume he's Italian or something and then get all bent out of shape when I tell them what his heritage is. People assume a lot of things about me too, I am tuscarora indian/scottish/romanian but people like to "type" other people a lot (they say I must be Irish because I am light skinned). I'm proud of my heritage and my FI is too...but I wish people would stop looking at me cross eyed when they find out where his family is from. My uncle teased my FI before about it and it made me mad...I just see us as two people trying to make it in this world, that's all.
  • edited December 2011
    Why is everyone so sensative? People use the terms white & black often and I don't think unless your meaning it in a derrogitory way that anyone should care.  Last time I checked anyway when I fill in "race" on a gov't form it says "White - Black - Hispanic - Other" (With the occassional "Latino/Non-Hispanic" thrown in). Just food for thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards