New Jersey

I love this dress- too much?

I just saw this dress and LOVE it for an after party dress: http://www.houseofbrides.com/far-away-by-allure-wedding-dress-style-951-p-3-148-50971.aspx?gdftrk=gdfV22225_a_7c1246_a_7c5376_a_7c50971

I have no idea how much it is yet, but to justify buying a dress for the afterparty I feel it needs to be rather cheap or something I can wear more than once. Would this be way too much for the rehearsal dinner? Our RD will be at a country club? Im guessing yes, but Id love to wear it for the RD too haha

Re: I love this dress- too much?

• altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sexxxy LOL but I love it! I could never pull that off but if you can, more power to you lol
  • edited December 2011
    would that be wayyy too much for a rehearsal dinner though? I know as the bride you can kinda be more dressy, but I dont want to look like a jack*ss either haha
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's too much for Rehearsal dinner.  After party it would work though.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hmmm it might be a bit much, its def a fun dress for like an after party though but for a country club dinner rehearsal, I think it might be whoa-ish. I wish I knew how long it is, looks a little short but sometimes they do that on models to make things look sexy lol But all in all, I think its super cute. BUT is it worth to pay that kind of money for a dress you might wear for 2-3 hrs at an after party? Can you wear it to your bach party????
    I am trying to buy a dress I can wear to my shower and my rehearsal dinner, so I know what you mean by justifying purchases hahaha

• edited December 2011
    Thats kinda what I thought- I dont think I can justify getting it if I'm only gonna wear it once. Do you know if you can get a dress dyed? :)
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Google says it is $598 at House of Brides, but cheaper elsewhere (although I don't know if that elsewhere is legit).

I'll admit that it isn't my style, so I'm probably being pickier than someone who likes it more, but I think it is way too sexy for a rehearsal dinner, and I don't know how I like it for an afterparty either.  Something about it looks too lingerie-ish to me to want to wear it to anything wedding-related.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_love-this-dress-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:170a39a8-f4c7-4c96-bd8f-1e058dca35d8Post:29380ade-824a-4d58-939e-8f6f9438a1ea">Re: I love this dress- too much?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thats kinda what I thought- I dont think I can justify getting it if I'm only gonna wear it once. Do you know if you can get a dress dyed? :)
    Posted by gymchick05[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yes, you can.

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I'd be weary especially if you can't see how it looks on you first. Any dress looks great on a model, but it depends how the style looks on your body. I do think it is too fancy for an after party/rehearsal dinner. It would be fun to change into for the reception. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I'm only 5 foot tall (on my toes haha), so I know it wouldnt be too short on me. Its a brand that some bridal stores carry, so if I did buy it I would try it first. Its a lot of money for a dress- I guess I love it because the top is very similar to my gown but the bottom makes it fun and party-ish. But I think you are all right that other then the after party its probably too much. If I had a ton of money I'd def get it :) Anyone ever see anything similar but a little more casual? Thanks again for the advice!
  • edited December 2011
    I am only 5ft as well but I still think that would be very short. Maybe for the afterparty or the hen night, but definitely not the rehearsal dinner.
    I would also recommend trying it on first since it isn't good to fall in love with something you have never tried on. I fell in love with a Casablanca wedding gown and when I tried it on it was terrible on me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely too much for the rehearsal dinner IMO, it's a party dress, not a dinner dress.  What kind of afterparty are you planning?  Do you mean the reception?  I'm confused.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is a little much for both the after party and rehersal dinner. As uppereast said, it seems a little lingerieish to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love the dress and think its awesome for the after party but I think that it might be a little too sexy for your rehearsal dinner.  

You can wear it on your honeymoon too ;)
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree...awesome for the after party...a little too fancy for the rehearsal and definitely wear it on your honeymoon!!  it's got me thinking of doing something similar ;o)
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay I know I am going against the grain here, but I think it is fine for a RD.  This is exactly what I did, a white cocktail dress for RD and after party.  If it was a Ballgown than maybe but it is just a fun cocktail dress.  And you could totally wear it again, especially on your HM.  

I love this dress and think it is a pretty awesome find.
  • justad0remejustad0reme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love it!!  But I have to agree with everyone else...it's too much for the RD.  I think the idea of dying the dress a different color it's great because you could get more use out of it. 
    ~~* Jen *~~
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually think you could wear it for the RD as well.  You are the bride - you can be a little extra dressy if you like.  Now, if you were having the RD at a pizzeria, my answer would be different. 

I wore a fancy short white dress for my rehearsal dinner.  I ended up buying 2 wedding dresses.  I couldn't sell the first dress that I bought, so I cut it short a few inches above the knee, had it tailored and wore it to my RD and after party that night.  I loved it!  Then, I brought it on my honeymoon with the idea if wearing it, but I didn't.  I might have it dyed navy or black. 

• edited December 2011
    Haha, i saw a girl at Park Ave last week I think trying on this dress...was that you!?  I was like, "woah!" but she looked good in it. If you can do it, as said above, "more power to you!"
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    No it wasnt me- but thats so funny, I just got off the phone w/ Park Ave a second ago before I read this and was so happy they had it in. Did it look too short on her? Im gonna have to go try it!
  • edited December 2011
    She was easily 5'9 and a bean pole, so it looked great on her...but yes, very short.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Just wanted to update about the dress-  I was able to try it on today and LOVE it- and it is so much longer on me- comes to right above the knee making it less sexy. Its about $1k in the store- which I just cant justify for a two hour afterparty, but I may look into the online options. Just wanted to post in case anyone else liked the dress like me but was afraid it was way too short- tried it at Park Ave bridal
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards