Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cocktail hour with only passed champ.

Question ... we are serving a multi course  dinner  and a passed champagne cocktail hour is included in our package . However,  at our venue one piece starts a $4 a a piece  not pp . We thought it might seem weird not to serve any food during that time but i just can't imagine paying $4 for a shrimp ! The other logical option is  cheese & cracker station which is $8 pp  but, who really wants  cheese and crackers ? 

Overall my question is  can i leave out the food there will be plenty at the reception once that starts ?

Re: Cocktail hour with only passed champ.

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are having a cocktail hour you really need to have some food out there, even if it's just cheese and crackers.  I agree though that $4 per piece is outrageous.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Unless you want guests drunk before dinner, you definitely need some food.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I love cheese and crackers!  Who doesn't?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I would ask your caterer to do an estimate at the $4 per piece and ask them exactly what it entails. Sometimes this sort of stuff can be confusing and doesn't always include OR exclude what we think it does.
    As far as the Cheese and Crackers go. I think that you should do it if you don't go with any other passed apps. People have to have something to soak up the alcohol, and "wine" and cheese is a very popular combination. People will appreciate it for sure.

• Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4 is very steep./ I say go with the cheese and crackers. It's better than nothing and you don't want everyone drunk before the reception!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love cheese and crackers, and I would really prefer some food over no food.  I would be perfectly happy with cheese and crackers.
  • Options
    jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with PPs - you absolutely need to have food at the cocktail hour! Many people eat light before a wedding ceremony bc they expect to eat heavy at the reception, which is often the case. That champagne will be straight to their heads if you don't have anything!

Definitely get a price quote with the expensive sounding passed apps, then if it's too much at least do the cheese and cracker platter. I do love cheese and crackers!
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Another question I'd ask if is about the quantity of apps?  Do they make a certain amount per person or do they just continue to make as many as people are eating throughout the cocktail hour?

My venue charged $3/app/person...they only stopped serving them once we were seating for dinner so we never "ran out"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alcohol=food. There is really no way around that unless you want a bunch of tipsy guests. I would be perfectly happy to eat cheese and crackers during cocktail hour--especially if the alternative is starving.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE CHEESE AND CRACKERS!  Who doesn't?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards