Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

How are you picking your music?

We have a dj and we are providing him with a list of songs that we want to hear, but I dont want to pick the music for the whole reception.  Id like him to just take it from there and see what the crowd wants and even take requests.  But I know all my friends gave their DJs a list of every song they wanted to hear from beginning to end.  How are you doing it?  Any suggestions?

Re: How are you picking your music?

• jlawhead777jlawhead777 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We plan on giving our Dj song list for cocktail and dinner hours, but only a select dozen song for dancing, we prefer the guest to request music they will dance to and the Dj use his professional judgement. I have never heard of giving a dj songs for the whole night! You might as well have a I pod with a set playlist. only need someone to mc if that's the case... At least my thoughts.
  • edited December 2011
    i personally asked the DJ what type of music he listens to on a normal basis. Then I went from there.  His style was similar to my own, so I gave a few sample songs for each section, said the type of music we generally listen to, and named like 15 artists we listen to on a regular basis and let him go from there.  My wedding is next week, so we'll see!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
  • Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We gave our DJ a listing of artists to play, specific special songs (1st dance, father-daughter dance etc) and a handful of songs to avoid. 
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_picking-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:03a6d997-90a9-4ce7-bce5-41cd46ed91a3Post:4591328f-6f0a-4a4a-8f6c-d7998ef43f25">Re: How are you picking your music?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We gave our DJ a listing of artists to play, specific special songs (1st dance, father-daughter dance etc) and a handful of songs to avoid. 
    Posted by Magdala9[/QUOTE]

We did the same thing. Plus we just told him to fill that gaps with whatever songs he felt appropriate for the moment.
  • ikrystalikrystal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_picking-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:03a6d997-90a9-4ce7-bce5-41cd46ed91a3Post:6f1c0632-16ea-4b23-9e11-9420c40995c3">Re: How are you picking your music?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We plan on giving our Dj song list for cocktail and dinner hours, but only a select dozen song for dancing, we prefer the guest to request music they will dance to and the Dj use his professional judgement. I have never heard of giving a dj songs for the whole night! You might as well have a I pod with a set playlist. only need someone to mc if that's the case... At least my thoughts.
    Posted by jlawhead777[/QUOTE]

I AGREE!!  I think we're going to pick some songs we want but then take guest requests the rest of the night or let the DJ decide. 
     My fiance wants to pick all the songs but I'm really trying to get him to see my point of view.
  • edited December 2011
    We are providing the dj with a short 'must play' list as well as a 'do not play list'
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely give your DJ a Do Not Play list and ask to see a tunes list of what he usually plays. You can use this to tell them what songs you like or don't like. I think taking guests requests is very important too, so thats a good idea to leave time for those songs!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards