Georgia-Atlanta
Options

QOTD 12/21/10

There was a discussion held on the etiquette board. The bride wanted to know how to request that her guests post absolutely no pictures of herself and her groom on facebook. ( http://forums.theknot.com/default.aspx?path=http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_privacy-vs-fb )
The OP brought up a good point in her response to all the comments:
" Question for you all; just because FB and other sites like it exist, does that mean that I no longer have a right to have a say as to what is posted about me online? Is privacy really on the road to extinction on account of FB and the www?"

What are your thoughts?

I think that it is a shame that people that absolutely do not want pictures of themselves online for whatever reason don't really have much of a choice. A lot of the posters (including myself although I didn't post) don't really understand why she wouldn't want to see the pictures the next day, but just because we don't understand it doesn't mean she doesn't have a right to feel that way. Most of the posters on the discussion basically said "you can ask, but you can't really stop them." and I guess that's really the way of it. 
Although it's NWR - what if you're in the witness protection program or something? It's kind of a scary thought that your safety could be compromised just because someone posts an innocent picture of you on facebook! Or maybe I just watch too much Criminal Minds haha. 

Re: QOTD 12/21/10

• Options
    My_MattMy_Matt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe they just want to control who sees the pictures... or be the first one to post pics. I know more than a few people who think they have some FB stalker (crazy much??) and want EVERYTHING they are a part of on there to be on lock down.
    Personally, I wouldn't care.
    I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • Options
    TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand why she would feel that way, but unfortunately I agree that there's nothing she can do.  I had posted pics of my friend's wedding on FB, and she asked that I take them down.  I was bummed, but I did.  Hopefully if someone is really your friend they will honor your request.  I really wish there was a way to block people from tagging you in pictures.  I know you can untag yourself, but what if you don't go on FB for a while? 
  • Options
    pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's just so unfortunate that you really don't have a say in what goes on the internet. If I am dancing at my wedding, someone could take a video of it with their cell phone and post it to youtube and I could never even know about it. Scary thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards