Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Transportation for out of town guest only?

We live about 3.5 hours from Vegas and a lot of our friends are driving up for the wedding but some of our family is coming in from out of town and they will need tranortation to the reception and back to the hotel. Is it okay to just get something big enough for just the out of town guest? We want to make sure our guest have transportation but we can't afford to rent two big buses to have enough room for all the guest so I figured we can provide transportation for the out of town guest and the others can drive. Any thoughts?

Until the first full year of being one! Anniversary

Re: Transportation for out of town guest only?

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I think you should do all or none. A 3.5 hour drive is still considered out of town, even if those people drove.  If you can't afford to provide it for everyone, I would just say don't provide it at all.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_transportation-out-of-town-guest-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:aecbd2bb-8acc-462c-88bb-a6a99b4e957cPost:9cf912d7-b86d-4a92-876b-99a2cc72fbb9">Re: Transportation for out of town guest only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I think you should do all or none. A 3.5 hour drive is still considered out of town, even if those people drove.  If you can't afford to provide it for everyone, I would just say don't provide it at all.
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

This. To me transportation is <span style="font-weight:bold;">NOT</span> mandatory, just a nice add on<span style="font-weight:bold;"> IF</span> you can do it.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there enough extra space in the vehicles of those who are driving in?

For the chapel, since it was so close by to the hotel, guests ended up carpooling and then we had one taxi take the remaining few guests to the chapel since it would have been a little ridiculous to do a two hour minimum limousine for a 5 minute drive there and back.  But for the reception we did a limousine for everyone there and back since the place was located in Henderson.

I agree that in general you should either do all or none, especially if the venue isn't close by.  (And best to definitely provide transportation if the reception venue is a bit out of the way as it would suck to slap a $20+ each way cab ride on all your guests.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is at Mandalay Bay and the reception is at Maggianos. It's not  to far out the way but we were trying to be nice.  Thanks for the input ladies!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't need to provide transportation. Guests that go to out of town weddings (especially Vegas) should expect if they don't have a car they will pay to get around. So I wouldn't worry about it. Another option is the dd bus it's 220$ for a drop off from Mandalay to maggianos. But I would say to just not do transportation at all!
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    No need to pay the extra expense.  We didn't and our ceremony and reception were not close, i.e. reception on the other side of the highway.

Your guests will be fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whew!  Thank you so much for the information.  I am really looking at my budget now and I would prefer not to spend that $300 if I don't have to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_transportation-out-of-town-guest-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:aecbd2bb-8acc-462c-88bb-a6a99b4e957cPost:e355b7f2-c92e-40d3-bbbe-094ee5365a4a">Re: Transportation for out of town guest only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whew!  Thank you so much for the information.  I am really looking at my budget now and I would prefer not to spend that $300 if I don't have to.
    Posted by MarryingmyKnight[/QUOTE]

Nope not worth the stress! I get that it's a really nice thing to do but I have been to plenty of weddings where I had to drive 15-30 min.'s to get to the reception.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards