Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Midwest honeymoon spots?

Anyone have any good suggestions for a budget friendly honeymoon spot that is not too far from Chicago?  My fh is set on driving and doing somewhere leass than a day drive.  Any ideas?

Re: Midwest honeymoon spots?

• Options
    Galena is usually our getaway choice!
  • Options
    What do you and your fiance like to do? Did you want just sight seeing, or beachy, or small town with good food?

Mackinac Island is fabulous, no cars, only bikes and carriages. I checked your bio and see you are getting married this July. That's top season and the hotels may be expensive.

If you don't mind more rustic, we stayed at these personal cabins and had a ball. You can ask for a bridge view one, so when you walk out in the morning, you see the Mackinac Bridge:
    http://www.campmackinaw.com/

They have kitchens, microwaves, saves money.

From there you can get the ferry over to Mackinac Island and spend a day or two there.

Petoskey is a cute smaller town, with great victorian era hotels.
    http://www.staffords.com/

We stayed at the Perry Hotel, but the Bay View Inn is lovely as well. Everything is within walking distance.

Traverse City has become a mecca for "foodies" and has tons of great restaurants, hotels on the water, and beaches. It's also surrounded by wineries and wine tours you can schedule.

http://www.visittraversecity.com/

Not sure if you've been to any of these places before. But you can do them in a really expensive way, with spa experiences and luxury hotels, or on the cheap.

If he's insisting on a one day drive, you could also go to Toronto. Chicago to Detroit is 5 hrs, Detroit has the Ambassador Bridge & Windsor Tunnel over to Ontario, then Toronto is 4 hrs northeast from Detroit. You'll need passports to cross over now though.

Good luck & enjoy.
  • Options
    I also vote for Galena! It's a really great little town with beautiful scenery and something for everyone.
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lake Erie Ohio is really nice. If you wanted to spend a day at an amusement park, Cedar Point is awesome! Any of the Great Lakes really like the other knotties said.

If you like rock and roll, you could go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
  • Options
    Door Country, WI. It's a series of islands on Lake Michigan. Beautiful parks and beaches! www.doorcountry.com
  • Options
    hedsillhedsill member
    First Comment
    Door County, WI
    Galena, IL
    Duluth, MN

All have nice scenery and cute B+Bs from what I am told by family and friends!
    imageGraphics
  • Options
    Yay for Galena! Its totally cute.  Saugatuck, Michigan is also nice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Minocqua, WI
    It is a popular resort town that me and my neighbors (I am from the Chicago Area as well) enjoy.
    Traverse City, MI
    Good wine + good food + good time!

Photobucket
    Us with our best man at formal one year in college!
  • Options
    I also vote for Galena or Mackinac Island. Though Galena might be less expensive in the summer.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice! i will definitely be saving the rest of these for future vacation ideas. We ended up deciding on Saugatuck, MI. We are getting a pretty sweet little cabin because he wanted our own kitchen and privacy, but i got him to agree we will go for a spa day for massages while there. =) BridieB, I LOVE your wedding pic. What a wonderfully brave group of bridesmaids (and groomsmen you have there.) I think I could get one or 2 of my people to sport the pasties, but not all of them. AWESOME shot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards