Registry and Gift Forum

Traveling bride

My wedding planning is going wonderfully ! However when it comes to the gifts I'm very worried. We live in Houston Texas and our wedding is in Pennsylvania. My entire family and friends live in pa . We don't want gifts because that will be a tough plane ride. Is there any way to just ask for cards ? Please don't post rude comments .

Re: Traveling bride

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_traveling-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ad0207ce-6a98-4a8e-9914-c2576a8f4b4cPost:bb988199-78ee-4ef3-9e41-ade747b6297d">Traveling bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding planning is going wonderfully ! However when it comes to the gifts I'm very worried. We live in Houston Texas and our wedding is in Pennsylvania. My entire family and friends live in pa . We don't want gifts because that will be a tough plane ride. Is there any way to just ask for cards ? <strong>Please don't post rude comments</strong> .
    Posted by Ryanlovesashley[/QUOTE]

You could start by not posting rude comments yourself.

You really can't ask for no physical gifts.  I'm assuming that your guests know that you live in another state, so they will most likely give you cards (and maybe money or gift cards).  If they do purchase physical gifts, hopefully they will have them sent to your home.  Make sure your registries have your address is Houston available to your guests.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Put your Houston address as your ship to address on your registries.  For anything that is brought to the wedding, go to Staples, buy a box or two, some packing tape, and take to the Post Office to ship back parcel post.  It will take a week or two to get there but it won't be too expensive.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I agree with PPs... have your home as the ship-to address, and anyone purchasing will most likely send it there.  anyone uncomfortable with that idea will most likly give you cash/cards.
  • Sorry, but one of the challenges of a destination wedding is gifts.  That's just a choice you make when you get married away from where you live currently.

From what I hear, PA seems like a pretty cash-heavy state.  Southerners tend to give primarily boxed gfits, New Englanders give almost exclusively cash, and PA leans toward the cash side from what I read on these boards.

I personally do not give cash, but I also usually have gifts shipped beforehand.  Simply put your Houston address in the shipping info for your registries, and odds are you won't have much to haul back.  For those few boxed gifts that show up on the day of, sorry but you just have to find a way to deal with them.  Shipping them parcel post is always a solid idea, like PP suggested.

There is no way to ask for cash outright without offending your guests.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Make sure to register at stores where people can order online & have the item shipped directly to your home. Most people will hopefully take into consideration that you don't live in the town the wedding is in & will either give you cash/checks/gift cards or ship your gifts to you. If they don't, have someone take whatever physical gifts you got to a local UPS or Fedex Store & they will package everything up & ship it to your home for you.

P.S. If may want to arrange with a neighbor to take care of any packages that come after you have already left for your wedding or while you're on your honeymoon so they don't pile up in front of your house while you're gone.

Laughing
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_traveling-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ad0207ce-6a98-4a8e-9914-c2576a8f4b4cPost:bb988199-78ee-4ef3-9e41-ade747b6297d">Traveling bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding planning is going wonderfully ! However when it comes to the gifts I'm very worried. We live in Houston Texas and our wedding is in Pennsylvania. My entire family and friends live in pa . We don't want gifts because that will be a tough plane ride. Is there any way to just ask for cards ? <strong>Please don't post rude comments .</strong>
    Posted by Ryanlovesashley[/QUOTE]

Everyone else gave you great advice.  To the bold - this is a public forum, people can post however they choose.  Just as you cannot dictate your guests gifts, you cannot dictate how we post. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You can:

1) Not register and not have showers
    2) Use your Houston address as the ship-to address on registries

You cannot:

1) Tell anyone not to give you gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards