Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Wedding Postponed...again...

It's getting to where family members think we are never going to get married, and my future SI actually said, "So when's the date now? You've been promising me a wedding for 2 year already." Well, we wanted to set our date in October, but my brother set his for October 2nd, and it's all the way across the country, so I can't expect our mother to afford to go to 2 destination weddings in the same month and I don't want to steal his spot light, so I tried to move mine up to August or Septm but now I get a phone call...my future BI and best man, got his dream job in Korea and will be leaving in late July! there's no way we can have it before that. So now it's either wait for him to be able to come home in visit in roughly 8 months or have it without him. I can't imagine having the wedding with out him, so once again we've postponed the wedding. The problem is we don't know yet when he will be able to come home :-( I've had my dress hanging in my closet for 2 years now...I just want to have this wedding already....

Thanks for listening and letting me vent, you girls are the best!

Re: Wedding Postponed...again...

• Options
    RachNRichRachNRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry it's been so difficult for you to lock down a date---but, to be honest, I think you need to just settle on a date that works for you and your FI, and let the rest fall into place. Some people will be able to come and some wont. If you keep hoping to accommodate everyone in setting your date, you'll never be able to set one--someone will always have a conflict!!

Hope you get it all figured out soon!! Laughing
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree, set a date that works for you and get married otherwise there will always be something that comes up. If people can come they will, if not then just go ahead with the wedding. Find a place that includes webcasting and let people know they can watch the wedding live.

We got married less than 2 weeks ago and only had my sister & BIL there. Other family & friends watched from home. We heard from so many people that thought it was great they could see the wedding even though they did not make the trip to Vegas.

Hope you find a date that finally works for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear you're thinking of postponing.  I had to postpone my wedding twice due to deaths in the family (dh's grandpap and my mom), so I completely understand the disappointment.  I do agree with Rach though that you should pick a date that works with you and your FI. No date is ever going to be perfect and work out for all of your guests.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone. You need to pick a date that works for the 2 of you because no date will accomodate everyone. The idea of webcasting is great! Or you could say screw it and just elope :)
  • Options
    keana123keana123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto. Make it work for you, even if that means some people wont be able to make it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When we picked a date, one of the groomsmen actually called FI and told him, "this date is not going to work for me, it would be better if you could move it" and seriously asked us if we could change the date!! I thought this was kind of rude. Then we found out that FI's brother (the best man) had an issue with the date as well! We did end up moving the date to 2 days later because we didn't want to alienate FI's family, but it was another date that was significant to us, so it worked. 

Moral of the story: you can't please everyone! You have got to pick a date and stick to it. It's nice to be considerate of his/your families and their situations, but not at the expense of your wedding and happiness. Good luck!  :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    prettygabiprettygabi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else. I let everything postpone my date. To be honest, even though it's set in stone now, I still wish I could change it. Haha... A cousin I wished would go is having her baby around the same time, August is gonna be too hot, a part of me wants to get this over with, etc! A million reasons why one date doesn't work, but at the end of the day, it's about me and him. As much as I love my family/friends, I hope they're kind of a blur. Tongue out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your support and letting me vent. I understand that it is advisable to just set a date, but having my BIL there is vital, it would be like setting your date when a parent just absolutley cannot be there. He's not just a guest. And after much thought, waiting a lil longer is actaully going to be better in the long run... one of my good friends was not going to be able to come because she is prego right now, but by next Feb, her baby will be 7 mos old :-) Plus we'll have more time to save so that we can have more fun without stressing about the finances. And it won't be so close to my brother's wedding thus letting him have his time in the spotlight. See when ever there's a snafu in your plan, just step back and make a list of the pros and cons....maybe, just maybe, it happened for a reason ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards