California-Los Angeles

Registering for gifts

Hi All,
My FI and I just got engaged.  People have already asked where we are registered.  We aren't even getting married for another year and a half.  How soon did you register and where????
Thanks!

Re: Registering for gifts

• edited December 2011
    Don't register until much much closer to your shower.  Otherwise, most of the items you register for now will be discontinued.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered about 7 months before our wedding date but that was at our parents request so they could use our registry for Christmas gifts.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MegrooksMegrooks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know a lot of brides that register pretty quickly after getting engaged because they are going to have an engagement party and people what ideas for gifts.  It's not unheard of to register over a year before the wedding.  I may just be cautious of what you register for, and maybe update your registry closer to showers and the wedding?

Also, I read that a good rule of thumb is to register at at least one national chain or department store, so people from out of town can shop on line. 

Hope that helps =D
  • jilly884jilly884 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks you guys! Very helpful ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Whoops, I didn't answer the WHERE.  We did BBB and Macys.  Both of those stores suited me just fine, and most people look there first (we received everything but a couple items from all of our registries).  BBB is great b/c if you return there, they give cash.  I don't know if that's still the case though.

I wouldn't touch Target with a 10 foot pole.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • akavanaghakavanagh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered just at Macy's right after we got engaged because a bunch of people asked us where we were registered. We only registered for a few things so we wouldn't have to go back and change our whole registry in a few months. We're also planning to register at Target and BBB or Pottery Barn.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We registered with BBB, Amazon and Target about 9 months out.  Did most of it online without much of a hassel.  We did register for a few things it turned out later we didn't want from Target, but because they were unopened we had no problem with store credit which we used for other stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards