March 2012 Weddings
Options

FYI, To Change Your Name..

This is all you need:  http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/315/~/change-a-name-on-a-social-security-card

It's free, easy, and all you need to do in the US to legally change your name.  Obviously you'll want to go to the DMV and get a new license and then go to your bank to change your name that way, but you don't need any kits or complicated forms.  It even lists where you can take this stuff to get your new card.

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

Re: FYI, To Change Your Name..

• Options
    Thanks! :) I've decided to not worry about this until after the HM but I'll put this away so when that time comes I won't be searching around like crazy.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks! Does anyone know if I'll need to get a whole new passport, or will my old passport plus my marriage license and new driver's license be enough?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_fyi-to-change-your-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:53a49f95-250d-4b12-96d2-a36d3bf41021Post:bbff26e1-b452-4986-b4cd-27ca08f9d955">Re: FYI, To Change Your Name..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks! Does anyone know if I'll need to get a whole new passport, or will my old passport plus my marriage license and new driver's license be enough?
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

<div>If you got your passport in the last year then you can apply to get a new one for free.  Just go to the .gov site for passport information, it's just a form you have to fill out and you'll have your new passport in just a few weeks.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you got your passport more than a year ago you will need to buy a whole new passport.  If you are like me and you don't have the money to do that right now, you can actually keep your old passport, just make sure that when you travel you USE THE NAME ON YOUR PASSPORT, not your new name.  Your airline tickets MUST match the name on your passport when traveling internationally.  They won't accept your old passport with a marriage license, at least that's been the case in my experience.  However, you can travel under your old name and use your old passport as long as the names match, no problem.</div>

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

• Options
    thanks! this helped a lot!!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_fyi-to-change-your-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:53a49f95-250d-4b12-96d2-a36d3bf41021Post:d8ddfaa7-eb1b-4f27-9e08-5f5a9816df51">Re: FYI, To Change Your Name..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FYI, To Change Your Name.. :  If you are like me and you don't have the money to do that right now, you can actually keep your old passport, just make sure that when you travel you USE THE NAME ON YOUR PASSPORT, not your new name.  Your airline tickets MUST match the name on your passport when traveling internationally.  They won't accept your old passport with a marriage license, at least that's been the case in my experience.  However, you can travel under your old name and use your old passport as long as the names match, no problem.
    Posted by JCWhitey[/QUOTE]

This. Which is why I'm waiting till after the HM to go down and even start changing mine. All our travel reservations are in my current name and I don't want to deal with any hassle on which name is on which document.
    BFP #1: 5/20/12 ~ EDD: 2/20/13 ~ Betas at 221: 5/24/12 ~ Betas at 917: 5/29/12 ~ M/C: 5/29/12 BFP #2: 10/17/12 (13dpo) ~ EDD: 6/29/13 Beta #1 @ 2164: 10/22/12 ~ 1st u/s: 10/26/12 = empty ute Beta #2 @ 7610: 10/26/12 ~ 2nd u/s: 10/30/12 = measuring at 5w6d 3rd u/s: 11/5/12 = HB of 150 ~ 4th u/s: 11/27/12 = perfect wiggly LO! Lilypie Maternity tickers "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers My Randomness Blog ~ The TTCAL Blog ~ My Wedding Blog
  • Options
    Good idea to post it! I didn't even think to! We did mine yesterday along with the other things we have to do  :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Ugh it stinks you have to actually go to the SS office.  You would think with technology that you could so stuff on-line! I need to take a morning off from work to do this since the SS office by me is in center city and that is the only place they take name changes :( 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards