Delaware
Options

while we are on the topic of alterations...

my dress isn't in yet, but i was quoted ~$350 in alterations including bustle, adding cups and a strap...just wondering if this is on par with other stores??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: while we are on the topic of alterations...

• Options
    wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's par with DB...i would imagine it's the norm with other stores as well. hence the reason i went to a private seamstress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That seems about right.  My alterations were $240.  That included my sleeves and my bustle (which was pretty intricate, since we wanted to make sure my colored train was shown and not hidden), as well as steaming and something else (I can't remember what the other alteration was).  I didn't need it taken in, nor hemmed.

The seamstress that the Philly board raves about is much more.  Who did you get the quote from?  I have the name of another seamstress with lower costs (though I have known several girls who were not happy with her work; it's a risk you take with lower costs).

A quality, good reputation seamstress is going to cost a bit more.  But, IMO, it is worth it.  You want your dress to look fantastic on you in your pictures!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone used the seamstress at Brides & Grooms? I usually use a lady in Dover but then they said their alterations were never over $200. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DON'T use the seamstress at Brides and Grooms!  My best friend used them, and she has several issues with their alterations.  I have never heard anything good about their alterations.  I was advised by older Knotties when I came on here to stay away from their alterations department, and so I did- I just wish my friend had, as well!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the store side, and would recommend buying a dress of any type from them to anyone.  But alterations I would stay away from; I have heard horror stories.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting my done by a private seamstress and I am having the dress taken in and adding a bustle and I was quoted only 120.00
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks MBR! I thought I had read that on here awhile back but I wasn't sure. I may go to that lady Kayla (Mrs DE) goes to. I've seen some of her work on Kaylas dresses and you would have never known they had been altered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who does she use?  I know Miss DE (Miss America Pageant; current and most past) uses Sophia; there are pictures of all of them all over her walls. 

Which reminds me, I need to send a picture in to her!
  • Options
    kmd0501kmd0501 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding last year and bought my dress @ Brides and Grooms.  The seamstress was a NIGHTMARE!  First, she insulted me by telling me I had gained too much weight to fit in the dress (when actually they ordered it 2 sizes smaller than what my receipt said!  And there was no mix up!).  Then, I went through 3 rounds of alterations before going to an outside tailor in my neighborhood in PA.  They were so rude and made me feel like crap because of their slip up.  She kept telling me there wasnt enough fabric to work with and I should lose 10lbs before my next fitting if we wanted this to work right....REALLY!!!  Unfortunately, the wedding I was in was planned in only 4 months so there was no time to reorder and my local tailor did a great job with no problems.  I would never go back to brides and grooms...no even to purchase anything.  They just put a bad taste in my mouth with that situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Caribell13Caribell13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know a great alterations lady that lives in Academy Hill and does work out of her home, it's a home business.  I have had three bridesmaids dresses done there all under 50 for alterations.  All three of those brides also were happy with their alterations.  I will be taking my wedding dress there.  Actually my last friend to get married was sad when she picked up her dress from the bridal shop.....thinking she made the wrong choice.  Elaine was able to do stuff to her dress and she was so excited about it and loved her dress.  This woman is incredible.  If you need info let me know!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't use Elaine Morgan because I have known too many personal friends who had trouble with her.  Two of them were Knotties- MrsJax and Tonysgurl. 

Tonysgurl, her bustle was completely and totally ruined- I was there, they had to take the ribbon off the bubbles and sew it on so they would at least be able to get it up off the floor.  She was so unhappy with it all. 

MrsJax had issues with her bustle as well, had issues with her BMs dresses, and had timing issues- she would go and sit for hours waiting for Elaine, because Elaine would not have finished the work from the last appt.  Not to mention the dog she lets around the bridal gowns. 

And yes, I saw these mistakes in person and in photos.

I know several who had good luck with her, but I know more who have had bad luck with her.  Her pricing is decent (at least, it was a year and a half ago), so if you need someone based on price you could look into her, but I would say that it's at your own risk.
  • Options
    Caribell13Caribell13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I have NOT had any problems with Elaine and she has been more than awesome!!!!!  Like I said in my post, Elaine has done two of my friends wedding dresses (that I know of) and my sisters wedding dress.  They all were beautiful.  I also had ALL my bridesmaids dresses there, all turned out wonderful!!!!!  My mom has had her mother of the bride dress done and my mom and sister are involved in reenacting and have had their civil war ball gowns done there.  Never had any problems. 

Also I have never had to sit and wait, I don't understand why that happened.  I trust Elaine and back her work.  Again if anyone wants the info I'd be happy to pass it along, her prices are excellent and work is great!

I thnk no matter where you get alterations done it's going to be at your own risk, unless you do it at the bridal shop and still you don't know how they are gonna turn out and if they ruin your dress you probably will not be able to get one on time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards